The Stonewylde Gathering 2009

News, announcements and events about Stonewylde

Moderator: mrb

The Stonewylde Gathering 2009

Postby kit » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Many Stonewylders have talked about the possibility of organising a gathering next year so we can actually meet up for real. I think it's a brilliant idea and I'd love to meet you all, but it's a potential minefield both to organise and facilitate.

I'd love to hear people's views on the gathering. I mentioned the Summer Solstice because that's when I'm planning to publish the fourth book, and I'd like to distribute copies to my old faithfuls. But for some this is a busy time of year with other commitments. 8)

A few of you have already come up with possible venues/locations. Do we need camping facilities? Or would it just be a day event, with people who've come a distance staying in B&Bs or with each other? How many would we organise it for? Could be a logisitical nightmare if too many, re toilets, food, security, insurance. :shock: Ticket only and limited numbers seems best. Cost factors would be very important. I don't think any of us are rich people! (NB possible benefactors pm me this instant!!)

I don't want to make this my event at all. I'd be terrified of leading it and having to be the ringleader. :oops: I'm very sociable and want to meet you all but not up on a platform or anything like that. I want it to be a community event, not an ego trip for me.

There are many talents among you - musicians, dancers, craftspeople etc. It would be great to share all this. We could have stalls or displays and workshops too. I think we'd need to have a committee of some sort to organise it all because I certainly am not up to it. And there's book four to think of too!! Mustn't get distracted from that.

Please let's have lots of ideas re:

Numbers
Facilities required
Cost
Date
Activities

And anything else you can think of. This may be a non-starter, but it would be good to at least try to organise something and see what we'd all like. And we could come dressed in Stonewylde clothes!!! Oh oh now I'm excited. :lol:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Sorcha » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:29 pm

This sounds great Kit!! I would love to attend, although I have to see if it is affordable for me to travel to England next year! ( I also have New York, and I have to help with initiations next year in Italy) But I would really try to be there and maybe drag Ebany and Tink with me as well! :wink:

Midsummer Solstice will be a bit more difficult for me because then we have the Midsummer-camping here in Holland. My kids love to go there as well!! This time of year would be perfect; Autumn Equinox! No holidays then, so it will be cheaper to organize then! ( high season will be over!)

Anyway, I am looking forward to meeting you all!!!

Blessings and love,

Sorcha :wink:
Sorcha

Postby Taz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:45 am

Sounds great!
I'm up for giving a hand with organising etc........but we'd need a few folk to lead who've maybe had experience of dealing with something simliar....?
Summer would be good but I agree that it's a bit busy all over the place...
Come on, let's get our heads together and do it!!!
:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Taz

Postby kit » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:53 am

Solstice Dreamer told me a long time ago that she's experienced in helping to organise festivals, and also attends a lot of them so she knows the pitfalls. Seawitch is also a great organiser and has been busy over the summer looking into venues. So that's two already! It would be good to have it in Dorset because of Stonewylde - but is that too tricky for most? We're very geographically far-flung, us Stonewylders! Anywhere we choose will be difficult for some folk to reach unless it's in a city, which wouldn't be right at all. Mmmnn :roll:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Taz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 am

Dorset would be ideal :D !
There are loads of B&Bs to choose from and public transport is not too bad from what I can remember..... :wink:
Maybe if we had a poll to gauge, in principal, when and where would be more popular? Unfortunately what suits some won't suit others..... :?
:D
Taz

Postby Queen OF Swords » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:52 am

Dorset would be good - a nice excuse to travel down :D
What puts me off going to many gatherings is transport - maybe we could look at somewhere not too far from a train station at least, combined with car-sharing or lifts for those of us without cars?
Camping off season can be cheaper - I know from friends who organise gatherings that often campsites are happy for a block booking just before or after summer.
A ticketed gathering would be best - then we could have some idea of numbers, rather than people just turning up.
Can I ask now if it is OK to bring my dog?
And it should be kid-friendly too :D

I know I am up here in Glasgow but I am happy to help out in any way I can.
Queen OF Swords

Postby sea sprite » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:56 am

I think that Dorset would be great as it is Stonewylde country, after all :) Plus I'm biased as I live in Cornwall and it's not too far for me to travel :oops:

We're planning a holiday in the 2nd/3rd week of July next year, so that wouldn't be great, but any other time should be ok (as far as I know, of course!)

How about August/September? The new book should (hopefully) be published by then and people may be a bit less busy? I think a poll would be a good idea.

I have no experience in organising anything like this and am a bit tied down with a very young child, but I'd be happy to help in any way that I could :D
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby kit » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:05 am

Yes, maybe the Solstice would be too tricky. Perhaps later in the season - it's always so difficult to predict weather! I think dog-friendly depends very much on the venue and any restrictions they have in place (don't have a problem with it myself). And child-friendly too - that's a good point. It would be lovely to have children too and probably impossible for some to make it if children weren't welcome. Dorset does seem to be popular so far. Seawitch - where are you?? She had a whole list of possible places.
kit

Postby Ebany » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:15 am

Well done Kit for picking up on this one (we've been talking about it for so long in terms of when and not if!!). Definitely make it a weekend camping!! That way we the logistics are much more simple, we are all together in one place, we can (with a bit of luck) build a nice big fire to sit around in the evenings and talk, sing and generally BE together!!
Location: been out of England for so long I'd have to leave it to others over there - Sujee did mention a site near Avebury that is also used by the PF.
Date: Kit, obviously you'd like to have it coincide with the publication of the next book, but as you've already said, there are other things going on which might mean that some people can't make it (Sorcha and I have our midsummer camp over here, difficult!!). How about the weekend before or after? (Sorcha don't worry about getting there, we'll all jump in one car and split costs!!) 8).
Kit, if you let the book launch be an event in itself, that would give you a little more scope in choosing a date.
Lots to think about, loads to discuss but I have every confidence that we're going to get there! I look forward to seeing all my Stonewylde friends there - here's to a "Wylde" weekend!!!
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Sorcha » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:29 am

Thanks Ebany, about the offer of travelling together!! :P Oh, I would really love to come to this gathering!!! :P :P :P

I think for the me the weekend before or after our Midsummer camping would be a bit much!! Financially and time-wise. I promised to go to Italy in May to help out with initiations there and that will also leave a big hole into my bank account! :roll: September would be great for me! Here in Holland it is mostly a good time weather wise as well! ( I think the south of England and Holland have about the same sort of weather!??)

Love,

Sorcha

Postby Ebany » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:54 am

September is really not such a bad idea, weather is mostly quite good, wrap up (or cuddle up!!) in the evenings, it's also dark nice and early - lovely for the campfire!! If it's a bigger site with more places, we'd also be less likely to have any problems with idiot townies who can't (or don't know how) to behave!!! :)
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Taz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Sounds good :D : how about somewhere that has a B&B attached or near it too for those who don't fancy camping out or who are unable to do so for medical/physical reasons.........there must be places in Dorset that have both kinds of facilities.
:D
Taz

Postby Moongoddess » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Ooo it sounds so much closer to us actually all meeting, now we have a thread to group together our ideas.
I would much prefer camping - lovely long evenings around a campfire - but do appreciate there might be folk who would find this uncomfortable.
I'm more or less easy for any time of year. I work on a first come first attended basis with my weekends, so whoever invites me first, gets the pleasure of my company :lol: :lol:
Wonder if there are any pubs/hotel/guest houses that have an attached field and allow camping, in Dorset - I do know of a few in Yorkshire that have this sort of set up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: getting all excited now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moongoddess

Postby Sorcha » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi All,

What about this!???? I think it is best to aim for a not too large campsite where campers and caravans are not allowed. This is the same sort of place where we have our Midsummercamping here in Holland.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w- ... p-list.htm

It is a bit difficult to arrange things from the other side of the Channel, but maybe one of you can check this out!??

Love,

Sorry, if you use the link you get the homepage again. This is what I found:

Search results for Dorset

Site Downhouse Farm
Address Eype
Bridport
Dorset
DT6 6AH
Contact name Dean & Nikki Exton
Telephone 01308 421232
Description On the Trust's 800ha (1,977-acre) Golden Cap Estate in secluded site; coastal and inland footpaths; within 200yd of beach. Organic farm/Countryside Stewardship Scheme.
Open NA
Rates £8 pn per tent in field with no facilties. £10 in field with access to h/c water, sink area and portaloos
Users Open to all
Facilities
Cycle Route 2 1ml
OS Grid Reference 193:SY442918
Places nearby :Brownsea Island, Clouds Hill, Corfe Castle, Hardys Cottage, Kingston Lacy, Burton Bradstock

Site Group Bookings
Address Brownsea Island
Poole Harbour
Poole
Dorset
BH13 7EE
Contact name Group Bookings
Telephone 01202 707744
Description On the Trust's 200ha (499-acre) island of heath and woodland with wide views of the Dorset coast; peacocks and red squirrels; nature reserve.
Open NA
Rates Call Group Bookings for details
Users Organised non-profit making school and youth groups
Facilities
OS Grid Reference 195:SZ0288
Places nearby :Corfe Castle, Kingston Lacy

Site Southdown Farm
Address Southdown Farm
Ringstead
Dorchester
Dorset
DT2 8NQ
Contact name Tim Wilkinson
Telephone 01305 852653
Fax 01305 852788
Description NA
Open NA
Users Scouts, Guides and other approved organisations only
Facilities
OS Grid Reference 194:SY7582
Places nearby :Clouds Hill, Hardys Cottage, Kingston Lacy, Maxgate, Burton Bradstock, Golden Cap Estate

Site St Gabriels
Address The National Trust, West Dorset Office
The Court, The Street
Charmouth
Dorset
DT6 6PE
Contact name Debbie Stork
Telephone 01297 561900
Email Email St Gabriels
Description Set within the 800ha (1,977 acre) Golden Cap Estate. One mile from the sea, this campsite offers unrivalled access to the surrounding countryside. Over 25ml of footpaths, 8ml of coastline and South West coast path, rolling fields, woodlands and stunning views welcome visitors.
Open Easter-end Sept
Rates £4 pppn (child £2.00)
Facilities
Restrictions NT camping field tents only; Caravan & Camping Club field tents and 5 caravans; schools; Scouts and
Cycle Route 2 3ml
OS Grid Reference 193:SY400926
Places nearby :Clouds Hill, Hardys Cottage, Burton Bradstock & Lambert's Castle
Sorcha

Postby Sorcha » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 pm

Some more: this is all of Wessex, there is even a small island we could use!

Love Sorcha :wink:

South West

Site Burrowhayes Farm
Address Burrowhayes Farm
West Luccombe, Nr Horner, Porlock
Minehead
Somerset
TA24 8HT
Contact name J.C. Dascombe
Telephone 01643 862463
Email Email Burrowhayes Farm
Website Burrowhayes Farm website
Description Ideally situated in the glorious Horner Valley. Superb walks from the site.
Open Mid-March-end Oct
Rates £8-12 pitch fee pn (2 people)
Users All members of the public
Facilities
Restrictions 66 tents maximum; 20 static and 54 touring caravans
OS Grid Reference 181:SS898460
Places nearby :Arlington Court, Dunster Castle, Holnicote Estate, Watersmeet House

Site Downhouse Farm
Address Eype
Bridport
Dorset
DT6 6AH
Contact name Dean & Nikki Exton
Telephone 01308 421232
Description On the Trust's 800ha (1,977-acre) Golden Cap Estate in secluded site; coastal and inland footpaths; within 200yd of beach. Organic farm/Countryside Stewardship Scheme.
Open NA
Rates £8 pn per tent in field with no facilties. £10 in field with access to h/c water, sink area and portaloos
Users Open to all
Facilities
Cycle Route 2 1ml
OS Grid Reference 193:SY442918
Places nearby :Brownsea Island, Clouds Hill, Corfe Castle, Hardys Cottage, Kingston Lacy, Burton Bradstock

Site Group Bookings
Address Brownsea Island
Poole Harbour
Poole
Dorset
BH13 7EE
Contact name Group Bookings
Telephone 01202 707744
Description On the Trust's 200ha (499-acre) island of heath and woodland with wide views of the Dorset coast; peacocks and red squirrels; nature reserve.
Open NA
Rates Call Group Bookings for details
Users Organised non-profit making school and youth groups
Facilities
OS Grid Reference 195:SZ0288
Places nearby :Corfe Castle, Kingston Lacy

Site Highertown Farm
Address Lansallos
Looe
Cornwall
PL13 2PX
Contact name Jane Davey
Telephone 01208 265211
Email Email Highertown Farm
Description Small, basic campsite situated in the quiet hamlet of Lansallos with fine views of south-east Cornwall coast. 3/4ml from secluded beach.
Open Easter-late Oct
Rates Adults £4.50 pppn, children £2 pppn
Users All members of the public
Facilities
Restrictions Bookings may be necessary at peak times
Cycle Route 2 5ml
OS Grid Reference 200 & 201:SX172517
Places nearby :Antony, Cotehele, Lanhydrock, Trelissick Garden, Trerice

Site Lanhydrock
Address South & East Cornwall Countryside Office
Lanhydrock
Bodmin
Cornwall
PL30 4DE
Contact name Mairead Wheatley
Telephone 01208 265211
Description NA
Open All year
Rates From £35 per group per weekend, £85 per group per week
Users Approved youth groups only, principally Scouts and Guides
Facilities
Restrictions By prior booking only
Cycle Route 3
OS Grid Reference 200:SX085636
Places nearby :Antony, Cotehele, Lanhydrock, Trelissick Garden, Trerice

Site Lundy
Address Bristol Channel
Devon
EX39 2LY
Contact name
Telephone 01271 863636
Fax 01237 477779
Email Email Lundy
Website Lundy website
Description Unspoilt island, rocky headlands, outstanding natural beauty, fascinating history of pirates and smugglers. Famous for natural history and private postal service, Marine Nature Reserve. The island is financed, administered and maintained by the Landmark Trust. No cars, small island community, tavern, shop, a place to explore. Sea passages from Bideford and Ilfracombe according to tides, 1 April-31 Oct. Winter helicopter service 1 Nov-31 March. For further details tel. Trust infoline (above number).
Open All year
Rates Prices vary from £6 to £10 pppn depending on the time of year
Facilities
Cycle Route 32 passes Bideford
OS Grid Reference 180:SS135458

Site Prattshayes Farm
Address Maer Lane
Littleham
Exmouth
Devon
EX8 5DB
Contact name The Warden
Telephone 01395 276626
Description NA
Open Open early May-late Sept
Rates Adult £4 pppn, (£5 pppn July and August)child £2 pppn. EHU £1.50 pn
Facilities
Restrictions Dogs must be kept on lead and walked off-site
OS Grid Reference 192:SY0279
Places nearby :A La Ronde, Branscome, The Old Bakery Mill & Forge, Killerton, Knightshayes Court, Loughwood Meeting House, Shute Barton

Site St Gabriels
Address The National Trust, West Dorset Office
The Court, The Street
Charmouth
Dorset
DT6 6PE
Contact name Debbie Stork
Telephone 01297 561900
Email Email St Gabriels
Description Set within the 800ha (1,977 acre) Golden Cap Estate. One mile from the sea, this campsite offers unrivalled access to the surrounding countryside. Over 25ml of footpaths, 8ml of coastline and South West coast path, rolling fields, woodlands and stunning views welcome visitors.
Open Easter-end Sept
Rates £4 pppn (child £2.00)
Facilities
Restrictions NT camping field tents only; Caravan & Camping Club field tents and 5 caravans; schools; Scouts and
Cycle Route 2 3ml
OS Grid Reference 193:SY400926
Places nearby :Clouds Hill, Hardys Cottage, Burton Bradstock & Lambert's Castle
Last edited by Sorcha on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorcha

Next

Return to News and Events