Areas thread

News, announcements and events about Stonewylde

Moderator: mrb

Areas thread

Postby Beantighe » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:10 pm

Inspired by Moongoddess, I looked around and as I saw there wasn't an Areas thread yet, I thought I'd start one.

I'm in Brixham, on the tail end of Torbay, in Devon.
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby faery » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 pm

I'm in Wolverhampton......which is nowhere near Birmingham :lol: :lol: (the number of people who've asked if I'm a Brummie.....I'm not a Brummie - I'm a YamYam!! :lol: )
The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon...but it's echo lasts a great deal longer...
faery

Postby Sujee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 pm

I am in Hungerford, West Berkshire/Wiltshire border. Anyone else my way? Be good to have a Moot somewhere! :D

Beantighe, never been to Brixham but it is on my list. You are lucky living by the sea.... *sigh*
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Moongoddess » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:17 pm

I'm in South yorkshire :lol: :lol: Anyone else, beside SeaSlave close by that's up for a moot :?: :D
Moongoddess

Postby Witchypoo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:55 pm

West Yorkshire, Hebden Bridge to be precise. Center of all things odd!
Witchypoo

Postby Milly » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 am

Lets see if anyone can guess where I live.It is the home of the only museum in the uk dedicated to the hatting industry- the hat works museum and the worlds largest brick built railway bridge, which was featured in the film "A taste of Honey". Parts of "Life on Mars was filmed here too :D ooh and Dominic Monaghan was born and bred here (the guy from LOTR and Lost. Also Fred Perry was born here. It is where The river Mersey starts. Several olymic swimming medals were won by people who trained here.
Sorry for Bragging :lol: :lol: :lol:
Raise money for your favorite charity by searching at www.everyclick.com
Milly

Postby Beantighe » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:49 am

It's not Luton, is it, Milly? Something about Luton and hatters rang a bell! I thought I remembered something about Luton football team being called The Hatters...................

Love Beantighe
Beantighe

Postby Milly » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:52 am

No its not Luton but thanks for guessing. I never knew that Lutons football team are called the Hatters our football team are nicknamed that too :D
Milly

Postby Beantighe » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:21 am

Maybe I got the name wrong (probably did, knowing me lol!) but does it begin with 'L'?

xx
Beantighe

Postby cornmother » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:41 am

Ooooo Milly, you are a tease!!

Yes, for me a hat museum would be Luton, being the straw worker that I am - but then there are other types of hat, other than straw (thinking of the expression Mad as a Hatter, when they used to use mercury in the hat making process, which would give the poor hatters dementia and the twitches from mercury poisoning).

I thought the largest brick built railway bridge was Brunel's one, at Maidenhead - no hatmaking there, and I thought Dominic Monaghan was born in Berlin. A couple of red herrings there.....

...so it's all down to Fred Perry, and he was born in Stockport - and I think there's a hat museum there isn't there?

So is that it? Huh?

....or have we got to keep on guessing?

:)

CM
Last edited by cornmother on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joy, Health, Love and Peace
cornmother

Postby Milly » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:54 am

Well done CM :!: yes it is Stockport :D
Well Stockport seems to think that it is the largest brick built railway bridge and that Dominic Monaghan was born in Stockport but maybe I got that bit wrong. I do remember though reading in the paper that he went to school in stockport so maybe he moved to Stockport and was born in Berlin. I will have to check it out :D
Milly

Postby Milly » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:18 pm

Dominic Monaghan was born in Berlin and moved to Stockport when he was 12. As for Stockport Viaduct it was the largest in the world at the time (1840) :lol: Its amazing how you can get your facts mixed up. :D
Milly

Postby cornmother » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Yay! Do I win a coconut?

Milly, there are loads of times facts get mixed up. It's what I have to deal with all the time, as an Editor and a Historian and Archivist. Once something's put in wrong, it's the devil of the job to get it corrected - which is why I made the point about Kit's (not) maiden name in the WMN interview - knowing that that article could be read all over the world (well, it has - even as far as Oz!). It all depends how good the researchers are, when fact finding for a newspaper, etc. An Editor's job is not an easy one.

So... Stockport, eh? Now who's up that end near you?

:)

CM
Joy, Health, Love and Peace
cornmother

Postby Leanne » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:51 pm

I am in the middle of fields in south somerset, but very shortly about to cross the border into North Dorset.
Leanne

Postby solsticedreamer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:23 pm

swampy and i have just left 'middle of nowhere' in dorset and returned to my hampshire roots of brockenhurst in the heart of the new forest :D
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Next

Return to News and Events