Promoting the Stonewylde Series

News, announcements and events about Stonewylde

Moderator: mrb

Promoting the Stonewylde Series

Postby iWitch » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:33 pm

I thought it might be an idea to start a thread for ideas on how to promote the books.

Reviews can be posted at: Amazon, Library Thing, Read It Swap It, and Richard & Judy's Bookclub.

Post reviews at any pagan/new age forums to which you belong. :D

Go to your local bookstore and ask if they have copies of the book. Don't forget to ask you local pagan/new age book store owners, too. :D

Please post any further ideas you may have in this thread. Let's get these books out there. :P
iWitch

Postby Leanne » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:33 pm

As mentioned in the Solstice thread , I suggested earlier that we all join the R & J book club and promote the books there, If enough of us do that maybe they will pick up on it, and really give it some publicity.

So, Ive joined there now so that I can post a review etc, but I have to wait to have my membership is activated/verified. Once that has been done I'll write a review there.
Leanne

Thank you!

Postby kit » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:16 pm

I have sat here reading this torn between laughing and crying! I feel so lucky to have such wonderful support from my readers. I won't forget you guys one day, when Stonewylde is huge and it's all thanks to you!

So - regarding Richard and Judy - as Leanne said, it's going to be axed so this is our last chance. I've looked into the whole situation of getting Stonewylde on there (this was some time ago, long before I knew it would be axed) and it's said that if R & J feature a book, it's almost guaranteed to be successful. Apart from all the hype around the Waterstones merchandising (I mean the huge displays, cardboard cutouts etc) it's just a seal of approval and massive boost that gets the general reading public aware of a new book. So let's go for it! I personally can't really plug it on their forum, but Mr B and you all can. Maybe you could also e mail Cactus TV, which is the contact address on the Richard and Judy website address I believe.

Regarding the Waterstones/ Borders/ independent bookshops/ libraries issue - I can send anyone who'll take them a pack of my promotional postcards. Just e mail me your address and I'll get them in the post. You can tout them around and leave them lying in strategic places. Put them in with your Christmas (Yule) cards. And I'm having printed next week some Stonewylde Wheel of the Year greetings cards, which will be great for sending out at this time of year. I'm going to sell them on the website at virtually cost price + postage, just to recoup the printing costs, and they'd be great to send out to everyone as they'll have all the details of the books on them.

Anything else? As iWitch says, the Internet is great and if you belong to any forums (I always want to say fora - too much bellum, bellum, bellum as a child - who knows what I'm on about???) or post on any blogs, that helps. What we really need is media coverage. Does anyone know any journalists or TV people? One good mention in a popular tabloid and half the population will have heard of Stonewylde. Something like This Morning (no, I only ever watch it when I'm on the treadmill in the gym, I promise!) would be brilliant. And any ideas for publicity stunts? Something really innovative.

Thank you all for doing this - I won't forget your help. I feel so very fortunate to have such support from you all. :oops:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Thank you!

Postby iWitch » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:45 pm

kit wrote:... if you belong to any forums (I always want to say fora - who knows what I'm on about???)

I know what you mean. I say fora (not forums), but others seem content to use forums, so, like the sheep I am, I follow the herd nad use forums instead. :oops:
iWitch

Postby iWitch » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:47 pm

Okay, so apart from LibraryThing, there are book swapping sites that allow reviews. If you are a member, why not post reviews of all three books?

Kit, have you tried getting the books reviewed in White Dragon magazine?

Also, what about Australian stores? There is White Magic (who can be contacted at whitemagic @ whitemagic dot com dot au (they run a large internet site for Aussie pagans), the Esoteric Bookshop, Lilitu's Books & Music, Oz Wicca and Mysteries. In New Zealand, there is Nature's Magick, who might also be willing to stock the books. :D
iWitch

promotion

Postby Carprimulgidae » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:32 pm

I am all for promoting the books they are fantastic & deserve it, Kit has done outstanding and it is only time before it all takes off.

How about some "Stonewylde" T-shirts for us hardened fans, the latest cover design would be a good start or the new art work on the cards maybe........ just a thought I would buy them.

Just don’t do any with Magus on, the poor person wearing it would probably get stoned on sight
:D :evil: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Carprimulgidae

Postby iWitch » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Waterstones' website also has a space for reviews, not unlike Amazon. So, those of you that posted your reviews at Amazon, might want to copy them to Waterstones website as well. :wink:

:arrow: If you have a google account, google books will accept reviews, too.
iWitch

Postby Leanne » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:52 am

Kit- two sites you might try...

COUNTER CULTURE BOOKS- https://vault2.secured-url.com/ccbooks/

and

CYNGUS BOOKS - http://www.cygnus-books.co.uk/index.htm

Both stock alternate/ pagan-themed/ new age type books, if you send them details/ complimentary copy, maybe they will add your books to their current catalogues? Ive bought a lot of books from both of these, they are established companies, so its might work?

(still working on a R & J review- very slow in account activation there!)
Leanne

Postby Taz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:53 am

Thanks for the info, I'll move my Amazon reviews over.
I'd go for the TShirts too, and Sweatshirts, given the current temperature :wink: .
Let's cover the literary world with Stonewylde :lol:!
BB
Sarah
Taz

Postby solsticedreamer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:17 am

Oh 'A Coven of Witches' in the New Forest sells books from Counter Culture...so next time I go to my mum's i shall take in a Wheel of the Year card and if they dont have Stonewylde i shall suggest they do.

its a very good shop for items and books, with quite a touristy section out front (the New Forest/famous coven connection) so i think any book fans will soon pick up on Stonewylde :)
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Leanne » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:22 pm

would you believe, that since joining the R and J bookclub forum last week, so that i can put a review on there, i still havent had my membership fully activated? I just get a message that my account details have been activated but i am in the queue for moderation approval.

ridiculous!! :shock:
Leanne

Postby iWitch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm

Leanne wrote:COUNTER CULTURE BOOKS- https://vault2.secured-url.com/ccbooks/

The Stonewylde series is sold by Counter Culture books - and if anyone is talking to bookshop owners or New Age store owners; please let them know that they can order directly from Moongazy publishing or Counter Culture.. :D
iWitch

Richard and Judy ... Focus on Bookclub

Postby mrb » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:15 am

According the C4 website, Richard and Judy are due to complete two more series and then quit to focus on their book club efforts. So any efforts towards the Richard and Judy show at C4 could still land on fertile ground.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com
and the Stonewylde Village Store at www.stonewyldestore.com

Signup to the Newletter to keep in touch with progress on the Stonewylde Series. Signup at: http://www.stonewylde.com/subscribe.htm
mrb

Whoo hoo!

Postby kit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:30 am

:D :D :D Wow - you're all fantastic! Thanks everyone for all these great ideas. To answer them (if that's the right word):
T shirts - yes, brilliant idea and something we've wanted to do for ages. Just haven't had the time or money to get going yet. But we will be doing them - I spoke to the lovely people of Heddingham Fair (think that's the right name) at the Hallowe'en Festival in London, and they're going to help me find a good T shirt place. The problem is they're really expensive to do in small numbers, especially as you need a variety of sizes, but the investment to make a larger quantity, which would work out cheaper per item, is not something we've been able to do so far. I loved the post about putting Magus on the front - yes, you'd be mobbed! I think Mr B with his controversial attitude about being Hallfolk would be the only reader who'd promote Magus on his chest!

In this vein, though, we are going ahead with the greetings cards featuring the Wheel of the Year. I'm actually organising the cards this week, so hopefully they'll be available in time for Yule, or Christmas, or whatever you call the mid-winter festival when we all spend a fortune on sending cards to people we never normally contact! I'll let you all know when they're done and also put it on the website.

Richard and Judy - yes, please all do this! I can't believe your account has taken so long to be activated, Leanne - but hopefully it'll happen soon. Seawitch has managed to get a review on it - well done Seawitch! Let's bombard them with reviews so that someone has to take note!
Coven of Witches in the New Forest - yes, they did have copies of the first two books. Not sure if they still do - I must phone them and find out. Thanks Solstice Dreamer!

Counter Culture - great idea, and as iWitch says, they do stock the books. In fact they're my main distributor! Last year they gave a whole page in their catalogue to Stonewylde. Apparently in the next catalogue due out in January they're giving us two pages!!! Pete Gotto who owns Counter Culture is a great Stonewylde fan himself and he's been great in promoting the books. If you see them in any pagan/alternative/new age shops you know they're coming from him. Apart from just a couple of small places in Dorset, I don't actually supply any shops myself. Any new enquiries I pass straight on to him to deal with.

Cygnus Books - yes, thanks for that, I'll try them again. I did try back in the early days when Magus had first been published and they weren't interested but maybe they'll reconsider now there are three books and they're selling so well.

The last point I ought to make is that if the books are really going to take off, they need to be stocked in places that everyone shops in - not just pagan outlets. So if anyone has an independent book shop in their locality, please go in and tell them (and hopefully give them a card). I'm posting off the promotional cards tomorrow to iWitch, Seawitch and Taz - anybody else who would like some to dish out anywhere please e mail me and let me know where to send them. It would be great to blitz the country with them! I've left them in cafes, on trains, the underground, waiting rooms, etc in the hope that someone will pick one up and think "Hmmn, that looks interesting, I'll give it a try." So if you feel brave enough to do this then please let me know!

Oh, it's so funny. Mr B is working in the study/dining room and I'm sitting in the living room with the fire and cats, and he's just come in and told me he's in the middle of making a post. So it's a race now ... must get mine in first! Bright blessings everyone and thank you, thank you ..... :wink:
Last edited by kit on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby kit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:31 am

No no - he beat me!
kit

Next

Return to News and Events