Pagan stories for children?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby sea sprite » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:25 pm

That sounds good Tinkerbell :D I'll look that up. I recently got the board book of 'Room on the Broom' for Robin, which isn't strictly pagan and features a stereotypical witch, complete with wart on nose (!), but at least it's a friendly witch and Julia Donaldson's books are great.
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Witchypoo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:27 pm

A book I loved as a child was Gobbolino the Witches Cat. But for the life of me I cannot remember the authors name. :oops:

On second thoughts, isn't the witch the baddy?
Witchypoo

Postby ~*~Tinkerbell~*~ » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Gobbolino, The Witch's Cat is a children's novel written by Ursula Moray Williams.

Gobbolino is a little black kitten with one white paw, and sparkling blue eyes who was born to be a witch's cat with his pure black twin sister, Sootica. While his sister is quite happy to learn spells and turn mice into toads, Gobbolino longs to be a humble kitchen cat; and he embarks on a great adventure to seek out his heart's desire.
He tries to become a normal cat in many different places, but is always revealed as not being so when he resorts to magic. Eventually, he tries to be a witch's cat, but he fails at all his set tasks. Finally, he returns to the farmhouse where he first tried to fit in, his magic gone, and becomes a kitchen cat there.

The name 'Gobbolino' is from the Italian word for little hunchback.
( thanks to Google :) )
~*~Tinkerbell~*~

Postby Moongoddess » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:23 pm

I remember reading Gobbolino the witches cat myself eons ago...and I love it :lol: :lol: Two other books I remember reading when little were The weirdstone of Brisingamen and The moon of Gomrath by Alan Garner :D
Moongoddess

Postby Witchypoo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Moongoddess wrote:I remember reading Gobbolino the witches cat myself eons ago...and I love it :lol: :lol: Two other books I remember reading when little were The weirdstone of Brisingamen and The moon of Gomrath by Alan Garner :D

And The Owl Service buy Alan Garner.
Witchypoo

Postby Sujee » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:17 pm

Ooh, I loved the Weirdstone - and Elidor as well was another favourite.

I want to get some childrens books for my niece and nephew so I can read them out loud! I missed out when younger so we shall enjoy them together! :D
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Beantighe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 pm

I loved Gobbolino too. It was read on Jackanory, which my girls (and me too) loved when they were little. I particularly remember Bernard Cribbins doing some of the readings. That was good old fashioned storytelling at its best!

Ursula Moray Williams was one of my favourite childrens' authors. I also loved the Bogwoppit. I might be wrong, but didn't she write Stig of the Dump too?

Oh, the days when there were really GOOD programmes made for children! Loved all the Roald Dahl stories, too, especially the BFG.

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Sujee » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:14 pm

We had Bernard Cribbens on tape reading Winnie the Pooh when we were small - he is so good at reading for children in fact we are listening all over again now with the neice and nephew! He was great with the Roald Dahl books too..... luv 'im!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Previous

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff