Pagan stories for children?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Pagan stories for children?

Postby sea sprite » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:40 pm

Hi all,

I was at the baby group I go to each week last Thursday and one of the women there got me thinking. She said that she reads her baby a bible story each night and this got me wondering: are there any equivalent pagan stories for children? Robin is only 7 and a half months old, so obviously can't read! He likes books though and I'd like to bring him up with an interest in nature, and of course paganism is all about nature. I'm a (very) novice pagan so I'd probably find the children's stories interesting too!

There must be something out there as there are books available about the Greek and Norse myths, for example. Can anyone help?

sea sprite x
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Firecracker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi hun, I don't know specifically of any Pagan childrens books but this site has some good links on relating to Pagan parents.

(ps, if you do find any good books, please let me know. My little guy is 20 months)

http://technomom.com/home/paganparents.shtml
Firecracker

Postby Firecracker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Oh hey, I got searching and found these. But they all seem to be in the USA.

http://www.amazon.com/Pagan-Books-for-C ... M40ZRQY313
Firecracker

Postby kit » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:42 pm

Wow! What a brilliant idea! I just love it and now my mind's racing. I'd love to create a pagan book for young children, and maybe my sister who painted the beautiful Stonewylde Wheel of the Year could do the illustrations. I love it! But ... what about poor book 4?? :( Oh dear - mustn't get distracted! I may get mobbed by irate Stonewylders! :lol:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby sea sprite » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:49 am

Hi Firecracker, thanks for those links. I'll take a look at those :)

Kit, it would be brilliant if you wrote a childrens' book, especially if it contained your sister's gorgeous paintings. I wasn't hinting though, honestly! We mustn't let book 4 get sidetracked :wink:

sea sprite x
sea sprite x

sea sprite

Postby Beantighe » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:25 am

Or Book 5! But a Pagan storybook for children is a fantastic idea, and Kit's the one to do it if anyone is! But Kit, don't let anything distract you from Stonewylde at the moment, just keep the idea on the backburner for when the Stonewylde stories are finished. Although it's always sad coming to the end of something, you've woven Stonewylde into existence now, and I'm sure it's really there on another plane. The power of the mind is a wonderful thing! I'm sure Stonewylde would make a perfect setting for childrens' stories too, and there are many Villagers who would make good subjects for stories, or even be the storytellers themselves! Just an idea!

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Firecracker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

You know something Kit, I was going to ask you what your plans were for once you had finished the 5 Stonewylde books. I may have just got the answer lol :lol:
Firecracker

Postby iWitch » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:51 pm

iWitch

Postby kit » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:51 pm

I've got the bit between my teeth now, I'm afraid! I stayed with my sister in Dorset last night and we spent a long time discussing this. She's very up for it! But don't worry - nothing will stop the other two Stonewylde books. And as iWitch has pointed out - it's sales that are going to dictate when book 4's published. But thanks to everyone's word-spreading efforts, and lots of other marketing stuff I've been working on for the past couple of months, sales are really beginning to pick up. Although I'm still desperately hoping for an article/feature/review in the national press, which would make a huge difference.

But a children's book, especially one which was largely a picture book, wouldn't distract me at all. Well, not much! And as for the idea of setting it at Stonewylde ... no, I'm not saying any more! :lol: But my sister is very excited - she's a young mum herself, and has been inspired by the praise for her Stonewylde cards which I've received, and passed on to her. She's so delighted you all love the cards. She has plans for bringing out a small range of greetings cards herself later this year - nothing to do with me or Stonewylde, but based on the natural world, rhythm of the seasons, and of course partially inspired by Stonewylde and all that it's introduced her to. This will be her own thing, but of course I'll let everyone know when the cards are coming out because if you loved the Stonewylde cards, you'll love her other stuff too.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Firecracker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:56 pm

Sounds fab Kit :D

How did one family get so much talent?? lol.
Firecracker

Postby Beantighe » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Aye, she's a good girl, your sister, Kit! I hope she does really well with her cards - they sound beautiful! I've used her Green Man on the Stonewylde cards as the inspiration for an embroidery design on the tarot bag I'm making for Firecracker. I do hope she won't mind - the end result will be quite different, but it gave me a base to start from.

Love Beantighe
Beantighe

Postby Lirazel » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:04 pm

A Pagan story for children set in Stonewylde – what a brilliant idea! But it set me to thinking about what we define as Pagan literature.

Myths, legends, stories of gods and goddesses, folklore, stories of enchantment? Or just stories containing magic and the celebration of the changing seasons and the phases and power of the Moon and Sun.

Could you class our traditional stories as Pagan - Cinderella, Snow white, Sleeping Beauty, magical stories which have been handed down from person to person for generations, universal and timeless in their appeal.

Even some of the stories written by that stalwart of children’s literature Enid Blyton might fit the bill with their casts of elves, goblins, pixies and fairies. Although some of the moral themes and undertones in her stories would be classed by some, as Christian rather than Pagan.

I hope the ‘pagan stories for children’ idea blossoms Kit - I can see you being very busy for the foreseeable future and beyond!
Blessings
X
Seek, find, know...
Walk the way which lies between the worlds...
Lirazel

Postby Beantighe » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:54 am

Ah, dear old Enid Blyton! I've spent many a happy, engrossed hour under the bedclothes with a bicycle torch with her yarns when I was a nipper! That was to stop mother seeing my bedroom light shining onto the lawn when I was supposed to be asleep! In fact, she was a major influence in my life when I was under 10 years old, and it was her stories of fairies and goblins etc that fired my imagination when I played in the woods, and so led me onto this Nature path which I finally found out was called Pagan. I think I've got a lot to thank her for!

Love Beantighe
Beantighe

Postby sea sprite » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Kit,

I'm glad that you and your sister like the idea. When I originally posted about it it had never even crossed my mind that you might want to have a go (doh!) :roll:

I'd love to get some of your sister's cards when they've been produced. I keep meaning to order a pack of Stonewylde cards-I must do that soon.

iWitch and Beantighe, I think that a lot of fairy stories/traditional tales can be classed as pagan. What I'd love to find are children's books that tell a story but also explain about the different festivals and Gods and Goddesses. Like the Stonewylde books, but for children I suppose :)
I used to love Enid Blyton's stories too. Were there some about Cherry Tree Farm, or am I making that up?! I remember they had a character called Tammylan in them who was a man of the woods, or something!

sea sprite x
sea sprite x

sea sprite

Postby iWitch » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:29 pm

sea sprite wrote:iWitch and Beantighe, I think that a lot of fairy stories/traditional tales can be classed as pagan. What I'd love to find are children's books that tell a story but also explain about the different festivals and Gods and Goddesses.

The webistes I listed, Sea Sprite, did have books which contained information on the gods, festivals, etc. whilst telling stories. Did you search through all the books listed on those sites? :?

I don't know about books, but there is the Animated Tales of the World (Channel 4) series, which has tales relating to some of the pagan gods. There is also Otherworld / Y Mabinogi, a 2003 DVD which explores the Welsh myths.

Of course, it is possible to read the Mabinogion and other tales to children as you would bedtime stories. Personally, I don't think there is a need to "dumb things down" for kids. Encouraging them to read more complex materials increases their comprehension skills, which can only be of benefit to schoolwork.

For instance, by the time I was 11, I had read Shakespeare and Dickens and understood them. Had the Mabinogion and other tales been available to me in my youth, I might have saved myself a lot of time as an adult searching for information on paganism.
Last edited by iWitch on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iWitch

Next

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff