Pagan stories for children?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby iWitch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:30 pm

And what about the bit where Mole can sense he is near his home, even though he has no idea exactly where he is?
iWitch

mole

Postby Carprimulgidae » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:06 am

I think I am a bit like Mole, who needs a GPS :lol:

over the years i have often been asked which direction is home :?:
I always seem to know where it is even if i never been to a place before. I can honestly say I have never been lost.

Ask me what I dont yesterday and not a hope :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Carprimulgidae

Postby kit » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:10 am

Blimey - I'm always getting lost! Almost guaranteed! Especially around Reading. :lol:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

compass

Postby Carprimulgidae » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:38 am

sure i have an inbuilt compass or could it just be the way my body Interprets the earths energy (never thought of that before)
:P
Carprimulgidae

Postby kit » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:49 am

Maybe you should be called "swallow" instead of nightjar, dear Carp! I've just thought of a lovely magical book that I remember reading to my boys when they were little, and later on to the children in my class at school. It's called "The Roundabout Horse" and it's by Rosemary Sutcliff. It's quite short, and it always made me want to cry at the end, it was so beautiful. You may have all gathered that lots of things make me emotional! :oops:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Sujee » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:03 pm

There is an advert for Pagan Children's books (in sets of 4) in the back of the Imbolc issue of Pagan Dawn. Forget the name as I am at work and the mag is at home!! Would like to order them for my niece and nephew as I am their 'fairy' godmother!

They cost £5 I think.
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Firecracker » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:03 pm

Oooh, I will check that out when I get home Sujee, thanks! I think I have the Imbolc edition knocking around somewhere.
Firecracker

Postby sea sprite » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Oh, I love 'Wind in the Willows'. I only read it for the first time a few years ago. I love the description of Pan too. I got upset when the baby otter (or was it another creature?) became lost and they had to go and look for him! :(
I love the chapter heading 'Piper at the gates of Dawn' too. It's great. I can understand why Pink Floyd 'borrowed' it!

iWitch, thanks for the podcast recommendation. I'll check it out, but I think that our poor computer might die under the strain :lol:

I saw that book called 'Room on a Broom' advertised in a book catalogue today, Beantighe. I might buy it, although at the moment Robin's favourite thing to do with books is chew them!

sea sprite x
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Sujee » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Firecracker

Found my magazine, as am at home today.
The ad is on page 35 and the books are called Dragon Shoots.

Address is:
Nell Alder
1 Richmond St
Penzance
Cornwall
TR18 2PP
Chequs to 'F MaDonald'

but no phone number or web address I am afraid. Hope you manage to contact them.

xx
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby iWitch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:20 am

Cú Chulainn, one of Ulster's most famous legendary characters, is the hero of this five part cartoon series. In five action filled five-minute programmes we follow his daring deeds from his boyhood to his tragic death.

This bilingual series contributes to a range of learning areas across the Northern Ireland KS1 and KS2 curricula including Language and Literacy, The World Around Us, Personal Development and Mutual Understanding and Art and Design.

English and Irish Language versions of the site and series are available via the English and Gaelige links.
iWitch

Postby Sorcha » Tue May 27, 2008 9:36 am

It would be wonderful if you can write a Pagan storybook for younger children, Kit!! :P Especially with the beautiful artwork of your sister!

The books I read to my Children were "Circle Round" from Starhawk (beautiful stories and pagan things to do/make with children) and "Celebrating the Great Mother" from Cait Johnson. I had to translate the stories in Dutch first but my children loved them!! Furthermore there are the books of Monica Furlong (they are translated in Dutch:P!!) and we do have some Dutch/Belgian writers who write pagan books for kids; Jan de Zutter and Lida Dijkstra, but these are not translated to English (yet!)

Blessings and love,

Sorcha :wink:
Sorcha

Postby Ebany » Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am

Sorcha, I'd forgotten all about Monica Furlong - read the Dutch translation of one of her books years ago and thought that it was very well written. If I remember rightly it was Heksenkind - probably translates as witchchild.
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Sorcha » Tue May 27, 2008 11:52 am

Hi Ebany,

The books are titled "Juniper", "Wise Child" and "Colman" Great books!!

Love,

Sorcha :wink:
Sorcha

Postby sea sprite » Tue May 27, 2008 2:36 pm

Ooh, I'll keep an eye out for those Sorcha :) They sound great!
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby ~*~Tinkerbell~*~ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Monica Furlong's books are great indeed.
I recently got ABC Book of Shadows by Katie Olivares. I like it very much! It's a little cardboard book, with a pagan word for each letter of the alphabet. She wrote it for her 3-year old daughter.

B*B, Tink
~*~Tinkerbell~*~

PreviousNext

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff