Pagan stories for children?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby Firecracker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:16 pm

Sea sprite - yes!! I read the Cherry Tree Farm books and i think there was a chatacter who lived inthe woods called that.

Which were the books where there was a tree and at the top there was an opining in to different worlds that kept changing. I think there was a man called moonface in that one.

And the one with the flying chair??

Oh, such memories!! I would lose myself for hours in these books!
Firecracker

Postby Lirazel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:41 pm

Ah.... The Enchanted Wood and the Magic Faraway Tree, I'd forgotten them!

There was a slide inside the trunk of the tree - a quick exit down after all the adventures through the cloud at the top..... its all coming back!

X
Seek, find, know...
Walk the way which lies between the worlds...
Lirazel

Postby iWitch » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Lirazel wrote:Ah.... The Enchanted Wood and the Magic Faraway Tree, I'd forgotten them!

There was a slide inside the trunk of the tree - a quick exit down after all the adventures through the cloud at the top..... its all coming back!

If only places like this existed in real life, eh? *sigh*
iWitch

Postby kit » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Damn! Just hit the wrong key and lost my post! If it turns up somewhere weird that's why! Just wanted to say that I absolutely LOVED the Magic Faraway Tree as a child, although I found it a bit scary too, as all the best children's stories are. I was a huge Enid Blyton fan and devoured her books from an early age, especially the Famous Five (I was George, the tomboy!).

With regard to the fairy tale issue - I've made several references to different fairy tales throughout the three books published so far. Some overt, some more subtle. Has anyone picked up on them at all? Now there's a challenge! :wink:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Carprimulgidae » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:34 pm

:cry:
Now we have to read them all again to find what fairy tales :?

that was the excuss to kick start me :)

Thanks Kit :wink:

x
Carprimulgidae

Postby sea sprite » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:39 am

Hi iWitch,

Thanks for the links. I DID look through them and there's some good stuff on there :D

It's just that we've got the world's worst computer and it's so slow and crashes all the time that some of the links couldn't be opened (not your fault!)

We're hoping to get a new one at some point this year, but other expenses come first :( At least I can get onto this website with no problems (at the moment...cue the ominous sound of a computer blowing up!)

sea sprite x
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby iWitch » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:26 pm

sea sprite wrote:It's just that we've got the world's worst computer and it's so slow and crashes all the time that some of the links couldn't be opened (not your fault!)

Oh, Sea Sprite. I'm so sorry. I know what that's like. :( I used to have a laptop, but in the end I just had to give up; as the net got far to complicated for its simple soul. :(

sea sprite wrote:We're hoping to get a new one at some point this year, but other expenses come first :( At least I can get onto this website with no problems (at the moment...cue the ominous sound of a computer blowing up!)

I can't afford one :oops: and, to be honest, I don't think I want a home computer anymore. I find it eats into my reading time and time I spend in nature. :wink: I just use the work one these days and leave it at that.

Oh, and I happened to read a great little book last night called "Odd and the Frost Giants" by Neil Gaiman, printed for World Book Day, and its a brilliant book for children. I read it within 45 minutes, so it could be a fab bed-time story, too. The best part was it was free with the book token, but only costs £1 normally. :D
iWitch

Postby sea sprite » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks foe the book recommendation, iWitch. I'll make a note of that.

I know what you mean about computers eating into time, but I could really do with a decent home computer as our local library has recently had a refurbishment and it's moved half of the computers upstairs which I cannot access witha pushchair in tow! The computers that ARE downstairs are in a tiny room and I'd have to be able to get onto the one on the end of the table in order to fit the pushchair in there. Grr... makes me angry, this lack of thought. How do people with wheelchairs manage to use a computer there? :x

I find the net invaluable for 'chatting' to people, especially about baby related things (not on this site, obviously! :wink: ) as it can be a bit frustrating sometimes coping with a grumpy baby!

sea sprite x
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby iWitch » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:18 am

There are some wonderful podcasts (sound effects, music, etc.) of Celtic myths to be found at the Celtic Myth Pod Show. Its a new website, but, so far, I've enjoyed the storytelling. :D
iWitch

Postby Firecracker » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:16 pm

I’m just sat here at work thinking about buying some new books for Daniel and started thinking about this thread and if I should buy a Pagan type children’s book. And all of a sudden I started thinking about a book that we already have and we read ALL the time. And it is soooooo Pagan lol. I cannot believe it never hit me before!! It’s called ‘by the light of the silvery moon’. I can’t remember the whole thing but this is the first page:

Down on the farm, the moon is up and night-time is starting to fall. But Little Grey Hare is wide awake, he's not feeling sleepy at all.

It goes on to say how he wakes up all the other animals and they go out and dance under the full moon. I remember when I first bought it I was glad that it had a Hare in it because you usually get bunnies in children’s stories.
Firecracker

Postby Lirazel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Yes - its amazing just how many of our children's stories have a pagan theme. I bought a book called 'Room on the Broom' for my niece recently, she's 3, I think it was by someone named Julia Donaldson but I can't be sure. I would guess that all you mums out there might know it already - the heroine is a witch. The art work is stunning but its the fast paced rhyming narrative that really makes the book special.

There are so many brilliant pagan themed books out there at the moment but top of my list... well, Stonewylde of course!
Seek, find, know...
Lirazel

Postby iWitch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:52 pm

One of my first teachers in witchcraft told me an essential read was "The Wind in the Willows". :wink:
iWitch

Postby Lirazel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Oh yes - Wind in the Willows', an unforgettable book.

I will always remember the chapter when Mole and Ratty met Him in the woods - the description of Pan is quite awesome, and Rats reply when asked if he felt afraid

'Afraid?' murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love. 'Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet— and yet— O, Mole, I am afraid!'

I love that - sort of sums it all up...
X
Seek, find, know...
Lirazel

Postby Beantighe » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Isn't that the chapter called 'Piper at the gates of Dawn?' I think Marian Green quotes it in 'A Witch Alone'. It's a simply beautiful passage, isn't it?

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Ebany » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:40 pm

Yes Beantighe,
you are quite right, Marian does quote it in "A Witch Alone", I'd forgotten al about it, but it really is a powerful (literally!) piece of writing, quite stunning. Thank you for reminding me of that! It is of course true that there are huge amounts of Pagan influences buried deep in childrens literature, just takes a bit of careful deciphering!!
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

PreviousNext

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff