Paganism in Modern Life

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Paganism in Modern Life

Postby MillieBee » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:17 pm

Hello all! It's been a while since I visited :oops: .
I've been struggling recently to fit my beliefs into daily, modern life - especially around a family of Christians and aetheists!
I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas? Simple spells or rituals (involving no candles, preferably! I'm not safe with fire...) or anything at all!
Thank you very much, and blessed be.
MillieBee

Postby Greymalkin » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:35 pm

Hello Milliebee

You could do a daily meditation. Rituals don't always have to involve candles or insence. Gather a few bits and bobs together like stones, crystals, feathers, shells and perform a small ceremony with those.
I'm assuming you have your own bedroom so each night before you go to bed just go around the room placing a pentagram in each corner and ask the elements and the God and Goddess to protect you while you sleep. This is also a good time to give them daily thanks.

Hope this helps in some small way and if I think of any more I will post them up on this thread.
Greymalkin

Postby Queen OF Swords » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Milliebee,

Try to go out for a walk everyday in a local park, common or greenspace. Observe the changing seasons (now is a good time with autumn) - collect conkers, rowan berries, etc. for your altar. Sit under trees (take a jacket or something to sit on :D ), listen to the birds, watch the clouds.

If you have a wee bit of garden, spend time there too. There are still things you can plant and sow to over winter (garlic is good, herbs too). Feeling the soil in your fingers is as good as any ritual.

Bake bread or cakes and cook - add seeds or ingredients, wishes and love.

Read - pick up books from your library or online.

These are all simple everyday things that you can do but all imbued with a special wee bit of magic that you feel.

Bright blessings hun :wink:
Queen OF Swords

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Good advice I will try some of that, except the rowan berries i will leave them for the birds who will need them when the snow comes :lol:

been on the edge of a wood for a few hours watching the day change, started off a realy nice day but now gone all over cast and grey, oh well we cant have it all summer can we, two days of a nice sky is a bit much to ask for :roll:

got a good recipe for bread i will post tomorrow if i can find it.
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Moongoddess » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:04 pm

We've had two beautiful days here too Carp :D We've been out in the garden making the most of it, we're building a gazebo type thingy at the top of the garden. Not finished it yet, but hadn't planned on starting it even till next year :lol: So now we are well on the way to completing it.....probably wont get another weekend like this now it next year :?
Moongoddess

Postby Moongoddess » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:11 pm

Milliebee

(involving no candles, preferably! I'm not safe with fire...)

Have you seen theses

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/led-wax-candl ... 1469_41470

excellent for indoors and outdoor rituals if its windy. Ok I know the're not the same as the real thing, but it you don't trust yourself with a real candle....quite good. I always think you need a little fire in a ritual, even if it is only the flame of a candle. Its all part of the elements...air, water, fire and earth.

Moongoddess

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:28 pm

I dont believe that, LED candles :roll: what will they think of next.
if you feel you need a flame why not get a small tea candle lamp holder :idea: that way the flame is enclosed and you can take it outside without it blowing out.
Or you could go the ultimate and have a miners oil lamp, never blow out and totaly safe even if your house if full of gas :P

if your looking for really good insence, try the greenman and the goddess-glastonbury http://www.goddessandgreenman.co.uk/products/k-sabbat-incense-sticks---mabon/296/
not the cheapest but probably the best there is and well worth a try.
Last edited by Carprimulgidae on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sujee » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi Millibee

I too struggle to fit everything in with my life but I do try to get out and walk around and observe the changes happening around me and then sit under a tree and just listen to the birds, leaves rustling in the trees, distant traffic... It is very lulling and a good time to think about what you feeling then and there.

As I learned on a course this weekend, sympathetic magic does not need all the paraphenalia of a ritual circle so maybe you could look into this aspect in more detail? I took it to mean that just by having an honest intent when thinking/preparing for a spell or acting it out. or visualising it can cause the spell to happen although, as with any spell, be careful what you wish for!

Also I know some folk carry portable altars with them which could include a feather for Air, a shell for Water, a glass bead for Fire and a stone for Earth. It can all be tied up in a circle of cloth and carried with you for when you need it - anytime anywhere!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Ebany » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:36 pm

I agree with all of the above! A ritual can be very elaborate, but can also be very simple!! There are lots of things to do to get closer to nature and to yourself. Also, various forms of meditation can be practised, these can be done in the privacy of your own room or somewhere quiet outdoors. Pathworkings can be a great help ( I have difficulty concentrating and so find them very helpful). There are lots of good books out there (there is a topic about them somewhere on this forum). Take a look at the site of the Pagan Federation, the local pub moots are listed, it's a great way to contact like minded souls. The other one of course is to try and attend one of the many events or conferences - maybe a bit scary at first, but you'll soon meet up with lots of lovely people (a bit like here, come to think of it!!!).
Most of us are still looking, still searching, but the thing is, that's fun too!!! Enjoy your journey!! :) :)
B*B
Ebâny
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Maybe we should all step back a little here and think a mo.
We, including myself are taking it for granted MillieBee is maybe of an age where she could attend meetings etc, she could well be one of our younger members looking for guidance from us older ones. I am sure there will be good advice given here but some people cant travel to meetings for whatever reason and if they don’t know anyone it could be a bit dangerous too :idea:

Stay on the forum a while and maybe get Pagan Dawn mag to read, take it slow and safe :wink:

Carprimulgidae

Postby Ebany » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Good point Carp!!
Millibee, how about telling us if that is the case - is there an age issue involved, is there perhaps another limitation on contact? I do apologise for not thinking of that when I was posting!! :? :)
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby iWitch » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:43 pm

To be honest, the best thing you can do is to consciously meditate. You can meditate while doing the ironing, the mopping - any time you are doing something repetitive and, mostly, thoughtless.

Once you get back into regular meditative practice, you can then move on to journeying and this also can be done anywhere, withou any tools. True, some use incense and music, but they aren't strictly necessary.

If you want to do regular rituals, why not try to find an outside space where you feel particularly comfortable (under a tree, by a brook, in the middle of a field, your back garden). Stay there for a few moments and "tune in" to the place. Acknowledge any presence you might feel there. If you continue to go there regularly, eventually you will feel minded to take a small "offering", one appropriate to the local landscape such as birdseed for the local birds. When you do this you can take your offering, spend a few moments tuning in, send out your thanks for being able to use the spot and make your offering.

None of this is complicated and you don't need any tools. If you want some more ideas, try reading "The Art of Conversation with the Genius Loci" by Barry Patterson, as it is full of simple, useful ideas for connecting with your local landscape, be it in the centre of a city or out in the countryside.

First, though, get your meditations going. :D
Last edited by iWitch on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iWitch

Postby iWitch » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:45 pm

Carprimulgidae wrote:... she could well be one of our younger members looking for guidance from us older ones.

Well, her deviantart site indicates MillieBee is indeed still in school. :wink:
iWitch

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff