BELTANE! What are you doing?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

BELTANE! What are you doing?

Postby kit » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:46 pm

So who's doing what and where at Beltane?
How do you celebrate this wonderful festival? I was hoping to drive to Avebury (calling at Waterstones and Borders in Newbury and independent bookshops in Thatcham, Theale and Marlborough on the way - got to justify taking a day off somehow!). At Avebury I was going to pop into the Henge Shop and check they're still selling Stonewylde. Then wander around the stones, and sit under a quiet peaceful tree somewhere and open up to everything that's there. I love Avebury, although it can get very busy and noisy. I hope to meet some interesting people there - will take the Stonewylde postcards just in case! But ... bloody car's not working!!! So unless Mr B can work some magic before Tuesday, it'll be Beltane at Reading for me. Will have to walk by the river (called Holy Brook - a lovely spot) instead and hope to see an otter and a kingfisher. What's everyone else planning to do?
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Erykah » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:22 pm

I'm not doing anything for Beltane itself, but for the bank holiday weekend I'm off to Cleethorpes (ugh) to do maypole dancing on the beach. As long as it doesn't rain it should be nice.
Erykah

Celebrating Big Time!

Postby Felicity » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:38 pm

I've really been looking forward to this. My sister and I are getting together outside in the evening. We'll cast a circle and say a prayer we have written together for Beltaine. Then I have a wand to dedicate (have been meaning to do this for ages!) Then we'll do some meditation together and have a big feast with wine and flowers.

Bright blessings to everyone today and tomorrow. Raise a glass of wine for us all - cheers!

xxxxx :D

Are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze at them because we are human? And do the stars gaze back - now that's a question!
Felicity

Postby Lesley » Tue May 01, 2007 10:18 pm

Hope everyone had a great Beltane. I spent the evening with some friends - we get together for each festival and have a little circle followed by some feasting. We take it in turns to put together a ritual. Didn't quite get to see in the dawn but followed it all up by going for a nice walk in a local country park/nature reserve this afternoon after work.
Lesley

Postby kit » Wed May 02, 2007 9:53 am

Wow! I had a fantastic, magical day! Mr B did work his magic and fixed my car, so I made it to Avebury. I had a long chat with John, who runs the Henge Shop there - a lovely man. His shop stocks some gorgeous stuff and I bought a crystal for my friend (I just love being surrounded by dancing rainbows). I walked all around the stones and sat under the beech trees that have roots cascading down the hill like a waterfall of wood. Many people had left ribbons tied to the branches, and little offerings of flowers. Avebury always makes me feel so in tune with the earth, and the people who honour it. I was surprised how quiet it was there - I guess most "pilgrims" will go next weekend over the Bank Holiday. But there were as always some very interesting people about, and I sat for ages with my back against one of the stones, basking in the sunshine and listening to people drumming. I saw a couple dressed in robes performing some kind of ceremony together - she was in a wheelchair and he was kneeling at her feet, and they were sharing a goblet of drink. On my way back to the car park, John came out and told me he's keen to arrange a book signing event, so that would be great.

Then I went to West Kennet, admiring Silbury Hill on the way. I walked up the long slope to the long barrow, and stopped at the river (I think it's the Kennet but not sure). It was crystal clear and full of emerald green fronds of weed that fluttered underwater - made me think of Yul, and how he washes the white stone dust away in a brook on his way home from Quarrycleave. The approach to the barrow always fills me with awe - I realised this is the first time I've been there alone. Inside the womb (I've always thought of it as a womb rather than tomb) I was thrilled to find a shrine that someone had left - a candle burning, incense and a garland of flowers. I added my Stonewylde postcard with the picture of Avebury stones in honour of the Goddess and in recognition of the inspiration I've received from Avebury.

Outside again, I lay on the grass on top of the barrow in my Earth Goddess pose (eagle-eyed readers will spot me on the front cover of Magus of Stonewylde - take another look if you haven't noticed me there yet!) It was on this barrow that Mr B took the original shot that now adorns the cover. The sun was blazing down, the breeze stroking my skin, and a skylark was singing its heart out overhead. Perfect! The pure spirit of Beltane. I felt very lucky to be alive and so happy. I hope you all had a great time too, and continue to do so over the weekend.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Beltane

Postby Debbie » Tue May 08, 2007 3:08 pm

We spent Beltane in ceremony (though I prefer to call them celebrations!), with some friends, I was the Flower Queen and Steve (hubby) the Green King. He'd made a mask, and was very secretive about what he was wearing etc. When we all met up, the ladies were banned from the area we were to work in, while the men set things up! When we were finally were allowed to join them, I couldn't see Steve - he blended in so well with the trees around him! It was a lovely celebration, followed of course by the obligatory feast! :D
Debbie
Mercury Rising Books
Esoteric books, tarot and oracle cards, handcrafted crystal runes.
www.mercuryrisingbooks.com
Debbie

Beltaine

Postby Gorgana » Thu May 10, 2007 6:56 am

I celebrated on the 1st at work :) I sat out in our garden, where the children are growing vegetables, and sat under the big tree and read my book (Magus of Stonewylde). It was lovely. I had to move myself onto a bench at one point though as the shade moved round and I got cold, lol.

I had a lovely relaxing lunchtime.
Gorgana

Postby iWitch » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:05 pm

Sitting out, as usual, for 2008. Not sure if I will venture to Bluebell Hill to see what others are up to or not - yet.
iWitch

Beltane

Postby Gorgana » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:59 am

Wow, a year since I last posted :?
This year, if weather permits I will be sitting outside again. Feel that I have recently lost my way a bit. Maybe this will help me.

Hope you all have a fab Beltane.
Gorgana

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff