Samhain

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Samhain

Postby solsticedreamer » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:41 am

merry meet :)

Samhain is getting ever closer, what plans do you all have to celebrate and honour your ancestors?

If the weather stays as clear at night as it is now we will have a great sight of the Hunters Moon next week....I have a feeling my Samhain may start early :)
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Hunter's Moon!

Postby kit » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:27 pm

I am so excited because I shall be in Dorset next Friday night for the Hunter's Moon!!!! I'm desperately hoping it will be a clear night. It's so long since I celebrated the full moon in Dorset - I must say I don't feel very moongazy in Reading. I'm staying overnight with an old friend as I have the two booksignings the next day and daren't risk driving down that morning from Reading. The journey to Dorset can take ages if there are any blockages. I love the Hunter's Moon, and of course it was highly significant in Moondance of Stonewylde!

As for Samhain - I'll be driving down to Dorset again!! Yippeeee!! Samhain is very special to me because it was at Samhain in 2003 that I had my spiritual epiphany that got me writing. The experience I had in a labyrinth near Totnes in Devon was my inspiration to start writing Stonewylde. So Samhain is a very special time for me - the anniversary of the birth of Stonewylde. I can't believe it was only four years ago and now there are three books on the shelves!

I don't know how I'll be celebrating Samhain yet. I have two book signings during the day - one at Sister Moon in Dorchester, and then a private one at the school where I used to teach. It'll be lovely to see all my old friends and colleagues there.

But it's the last day of the old year, and a time for honouring ancestors and looking back over the year that's past and evaluating. For me it's a time of reflection and contemplation, and I hope to find somewhere peaceful and with strong earth energy to do this. So it's got to be Dorset!
I shall be especially thinking of my Auntie Jean, who died just three weeks after I started writing Stonewylde. She was a very special person to me, and I've dedicated the series to her memory. I just wish she could have read the books.

I'd be really interested to hear how others are celebrating Samhain. Just so long as it's not trick or treating - ugh!!! :x
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Leanne » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:36 am

I'll be observing samhain alone and quietly, and remembering my lovely dad, who died a few days into November. and left such a hole in our lives . the last year has been very mixed for me, some wonderful highs but more recently some deep lows too, so I'll be looking ahead to the new year coming being more settled hopefully.
Leanne

Postby solsticedreamer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:13 am

Ah Kit the Hunters Moon!
I have been watching the moon slowing waxing and have such a feeling of excitement...I wonder why I am finding this one more exciting though?

Dorset is looking particularly beautiful at this time too :)

I shall be remembering several relatives and friends but mostly this year my Great Grandad John who died in September 1918 in France.
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby iWitch » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:54 pm

I have an ancestral altar in my home and I will be decorating it especially for Samhain. I will also be "sitting out" as I usually do. Of course, the indoor fire will be lit from the embers of the bonfire.

I'm not particularly enamoured with the dumb supper ritual, so will probably just leave a little extra for the genius loci before I take up my position for the night.

I have been working hard on my family tree, too, trying to locate my familial ancestors so I can best remember them. This has been an ongoing project since Samhain 2006.
iWitch

Postby iWitch » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:58 pm

*BUMP*

Now we have more members, it would be wicked to see what everyone else is doing. :twisted:
iWitch

Postby kit » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:00 pm

Wow - a whole year on, and haven't we grown? :D
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby iWitch » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:01 pm

We're a bit like rabbits, aren't we? Continually multiplying. :lol:
iWitch

Postby Beantighe » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:07 pm

Ooer! That conjures up some fine pictures, lol! :wink: Hey - shouldn't that be hares?? :D
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Greymalkin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:58 am

I will be having a ritual with the usual gang round at mine, and it's a rare treat for us but this year we will be able to have it actually on Samhain night.
Oooooooh so excited!!!
Greymalkin

Postby Taz » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:15 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Taz

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff