Totems??

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Totems??

Postby Brooke » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi all!

I am sure you can all help me with this question.....

How do you choose a totem? Are they animals or birds which you feel you have a connection with or is it based on the meaning/representation? If it is the meaning, does anyone have any links for totems and what they represent?

Have been thinking about this (since reading Stonewylde) and just last week at my local witch shop I was chatting with the shop owner about a new product which you can personalise with totem etc. so would be interested to read any info on totems.

Cheers!
xx

PS Apologies if you have already discussed this here. When I returned after my computer problems there were HUNDREDS of posts to catch up on. Don't remember reading anything but it could be due to me being blurry eyed!! :shock:
Brooke

Postby Moongoddess » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:01 pm

http://www.stonewyldeforum.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=348

Hi Brooke

Checkout the above link to a thread about choosing totems :D :D

kit wrote:The rule at Stonewylde is that your symbol is the one for the festival nearest to you day-wise. If you were completely slap-bang in the middle then you'd have to choose which one you felt more affinity with. Hope that answers your questions!
Moongoddess

Postby kit » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Wow, MG - that's so efficient!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I sympathise, Brooke, because after my absence from the forum I found it impossible to catch up with everything I missed! I think MG has referred you to your festival symbol, which at Stonewylde is the one nearest your birth date. But the thread she mentioned also discusses your totem. There are no hard and fast rules as far as I'm concerned (because I have a horror of hard and fast rules which I then feel honour bound to break!). I personally chose my totem (a leaping hare) because it's something I feel a strong affinity with. I believe that the hare represents transformation, although I could stand corrected on this. However for me it doesn't matter really what it represents - I just want the hare as my special totem because it feels right. I would suspect that most of us chose our totems in the same way. I was asked recently which type of hare I wanted - moongazy or leaping. After a lot of thought I chose leaping because to me that represents freedom and moving forwards, although moongazy with its links to the moon and meditation would be lovely too. So when you do choose your totem, think too about its aspect. For instance, if you chose an owl, would it be in flight or perched? If a cat, would it be arched or curled? See what I mean - the aspect could completely alter the meaning for you. Hope this all makes sense! :roll:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Sujee » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks for that Kit - that will help me clarify my totem too, ready for when Rose produces her proto-type totem pendants! :D
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Brooke » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Thank you for your replies. I am less confused now and I think it's like many things - it's really about trusting your own feelings and ideas and going with your gut. :D

Kit, that was an added element thinking about all aspects of chosen totem. I hadn't considered that, so thanks :D :D

Thanks Moongoddess for the link which I checked out and discovered we share our birthday!! :D I'm really interested to see Rose's pendants when they happen!

Cheers all!!

xx
Brooke

Postby Moongoddess » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:17 pm

Brooke wrote:Thanks Moongoddess for the link which I checked out and discovered we share our birthday!! :D I'm really interested to see Rose's pendants when they happen!

Cheers all!!

xx

An excellent day to be born, if I may say.....what year :?: I was born in '64......I'm maturing well, like a fine vintage champagne :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........and fully intend to grow old as disgracefully as possible :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Moongoddess

Postby Sujee » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:58 pm

MG said: and fully intend to grow old as disgracefully as possible

Sounds like you are already doing a good job!!! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :roll:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Brooke » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:41 pm

Hey MG!

I was born '74. Yes a great day to be born - we are free spirits!!!

xx
Brooke

Postby cornmother » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:22 pm

'Lo, Brooke

Does that mean your birthday is on 29th January as well??

:?:

CM
Joy, Health, Love and Peace
cornmother

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:50 am

I was a free spirit in 74 :lol:

:? didnt that go quickly :shock: oh well here's to the next 30 years of popping pills and creeky joints Image

Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Beantighe » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:05 am

Yeah, Carp! Old age - when actions creak louder than words! :lol: :lol:

xxxxx
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:20 am

looks like a few of us are up late tonight :oops: must be the changing weather :roll:
I sent you a PM and wondered why you didnt reply, it went elsewere :lol: clicked the wrong button didnt I. MrB will have to colour code them for me, always doing that :roll:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Beantighe » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Oh Carp, what was that you were saying about old age? :lol:

For goodness sake don't go colourblind as well! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby solsticedreamer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Carprimulgidae wrote:I was a free spirit in 74 :lol:

:lol: i was 7 then and busy thinking i was one of the famous five :D ...but young and free spirited!
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby sea sprite » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:13 pm

I wasn't even born in in 1974 :lol:

I'm of 1975 vintage :D

Love the dancing oldies Carp :wink:
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Next

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff