Different paths - one journey

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby solsticedreamer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:38 pm

a solo feral druid~i love those words :)
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby MPoppins » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:57 pm

Hooray, I agree, how lovely. It's like an informal online coven of independent free spirits [smilie=eusa_dance.gif]
Dance as though no-one is watching,
Love as though you've never been hurt,
Work to live as though there is no money,
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby Greymalkin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:02 pm

Midori wrote:I am now a solo, feral Druid and my personal faith is stripped to the bare essentials, I don't cast circles, call Watchtowers or any of that.

I think I'm goin down that path too Midori. I used to get so hung up about everything being 'just right'.
Now it's very 'bare bones' when I work alone. And I've found it works just as well as when I used to have all the bells and whistles, (sometimes better).
Do you think this is a natural progression?
Greymalkin

Postby Sujee » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:17 pm

I am enjoying this thread. :D

Do you think for a 'learner' it helps to have a 'set' order or ritual when working to help focus and get one into the right state of mind? After all it must help when working with a big group to ensure that they are all in the same 'place' at the same time?

Do you think that because the visualisation and intent have become second nature that you are able to pare it back to the bare bones?

I am sure that there are some out there who are new to the Path who would be able to work like that instantly but for some I think it might be almost considered a teaching aid - but without the dogma. What do you think GM and Midori?
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby MPoppins » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:30 pm

Personally I have found ritual and organised meditation helpful but not essential. Researching the traditions of Wicca is certainly interesting in the way it helps to pull threads together. Mixing with others who think in a similar way is energising. However the only way to do things in my opinion, is your own way; "no teacher, no method, no guru". In the end it is "do what thou wilt and harm none". Like flowers we are all reaching upwards for the sun, we may not all grow at the same rate or in the same way but we are heading in the same direction.
Dance as though no-one is watching,
Love as though you've never been hurt,
Work to live as though there is no money,
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby sea sprite » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Sujee wrote
and I collect sea-glass when I get to go to the coast

I worked as a beach warden a few years ago and my colleague told me that she collected a huge jar of sea glass and gave it to a little girl. The little girl called the glass 'mermaids tears' which i thought was lovely :D I love collecting it too! :P
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Brooke » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Wow, Sea Sprite. That is so lovely! To see things through the eyes of babes......

xx
Brooke

Postby Greymalkin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:17 pm

It's like anything, the more you know and experience about a subject the more you can make informed decisions.
Those who are serious about learning about the craft I would advise them to experience as much as possible.
It's all very good 'listening to your heart' and 'doing what feels right' but there is an awful lot to learn from the way other people do things.
Structured rituals with bell, book and candle can be very exciting and rewarding - of course it's not for everybody but if you never try them you'll never know!
Greymalkin

Postby Sujee » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:29 pm

I agree GM. I am a curious soul by nature and would like to find out as much as possible about how others work. However, options are severely limited where I am so books have been my main source of infomration to date but I am currently working on that!

When I am outside and wandering among the trees or looking up at the sky if something feels right for that moment I do it. But I do wonder if when working indoors for a particular aim, that I should be more structured in the way I do things. I find I can be easily distracted if in my flat for some reason. Nothing rigid but just a firm base to use and build on. Trouble is, is sorting the wheat from the chaff in the books I do have... :? I shall trundle on and find my way I am sure, but it is good to know that you are all here to offer advice and opinions when I need them, and for that I thank you all. :D
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Beantighe » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:09 pm

You're right there, Sujee, sorting the wheat from the chaff is an ongoing occupation, as our tastes, needs and interests change and mutate the same as we do. Like Greymalkin says, we have to experience a variety of things when we start on the path, in order to evaluate and decide what resonates with our souls. I believe paganism is an experiential spirituality which can't be taught, although we can learn a lot from other people through their books, always remembering that each book is written from one person's point of view. It can become very confusing for the newcomer when two authors give different ways of doing the same thing, or have opposing opinions. It is then up to the individual to decide which way suits them best. It doesn't mean that one way is right and the other is wrong, just that they're different. I think it's the same spirituality, expressed in many different ways. We may take different routes, but the destination is always the same.

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby solsticedreamer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:06 am

yes i agree with B here~for a new comer it must be a nightmare as there are so many books and websites out there that give all kinds of information
so they feel pulled in so many different directions at once!
thats the beauty of this particular thread because everyone can express their own beliefs without gettting shot down at what they believe or at their lack of knowledge.
i think we all know and trust each other enough to feel comfortable and express ourselves without fear :)
solsticedreamer

Postby Beantighe » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:17 pm

And that's the greatest thing about this forum - the lack of fear, which is something that is always at the forefront of one's mind on so many other forums, where you can be afraid to ask a question, or even express your own opinion, for fear of being ridiculed, attacked or intimidated for having the 'wrong' outlook or viewpoint.

I am very conscious of the fact that here on the Stonewyde forum, we have members who aren't even Pagan, whilst others are Pagan, but very very new to it, and are confused and not sure where to start. I remember my own very nervous beginnings as a Pagan, and the awful treatment I received, which almost caused me to run away and never come back, and that's made me passionate about wanting to help and advise other new seekers, besides giving them reassurance and encouragement - in other words, to take them under my wing.

It has saddened me immensely to see and experience how intolerant and judgemental some Pagans can be, particularly as these are often the same ones who will shout about what a tolerant, inclusive belief system Paganism is. I pray the Goddess lift the scales from their eyes and let them see themselves clearly.

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby solsticedreamer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:42 pm

here here B Image

this thread is making me so look forward to the gathering and meeting you all~we have a very special bond :)
solsticedreamer

Postby Sujee » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Very True SD.

I feel as though you are all such good friends who I can ask any question. When we meet it will be such fun and 'well met'. I shall enjoy putting faces to names as well. I do tend to build pictures in my mind of folk.... :D
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Greymalkin » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:56 pm

I think it's dreadful when people are shot down for asking questions, and I've had more than enough experience of that (eh Taz? :wink: ).

I'm no expert on the craft ( and be careful of anybody who says they are ) but I think I know enough to be able to offer people good advice when they ask without sounding 'preachy'.

What is the future of our ways if we don't help each other?
Greymalkin

PreviousNext

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff