Different paths - one journey

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby solsticedreamer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 am

Beantighe wrote:Well in that case, I might just add a wee dram from my hip flask when no-one's looking!! :lol: Hell, who am I kidding? A cauldron that size should take half a litre at least! :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: i will avert my eyes B!
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby sea sprite » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:58 pm

I bought 'Sacred Celebrations- a sourcebook' by Glennie Kindred earlier this year and have been looking at it again recently. I really love it, as it tells a little about each festival and ways in whcih it can be celebrated. It's aimed at group celebrations, but a lot of the things can be adapted for individuals. It has some beautiful illustrations in it too :D

I think it's a very good book for anyone new to the path.I also have 'The Earth's Cycle of Celebration' by her too, which is similar to the book, but is a self published pamphlet.

I really feel that mine will be a solitary path for the most part, which although that might make things harder in a way to start with, as I will have no one leading by example, I think that ultimately it will be better for me :D For example, as I write this, I can see a bright blue sky with trees bathed in winter sunlight. I know how that makes me feel and I don't need anyone to tell me :lol: I can't even describe how it makes me feel emotionally-just that I feel a connection with the earth.
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby kit » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:17 pm

I love Glennie Kindred's "Sacred Celebrations" too, SS. For all that we've heard on the forum recently about people's awful experiences with groups or covens, Glennie's book makes me realise how lovely it must be when you can join with friends to celebrate together. It would be nice to hear of anyone's positive experiences of this. I'm a solitary too, and understand exactly what you're saying about emotions and how you feel when you see nature in all her beauty. How wonderful it must be to share this with other like-minded people. Although I suppose that's just what our Stonewylde community is all about - we are sharing together, just not in person!
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Beantighe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:54 pm

Another book I absolutely love is The Wiccan Wheel of the Year by Gail Duff. Don't let the 'Wiccan' in the title put you off, this really is a lovely little book that takes you through every festival with suggestions for your own activities and rituals, with folk customs and old country lore, and gives examples for both solo and group celebrations, as well as seasonal recipes. You can dip in and out at will and create something of your very own - wonderful when you're bang out of inspiration! I'd highly recommend this little paperback, and my own copy is well-thumbed!
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby solsticedreamer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:02 pm

we were going through the forest today and it was cold and sunny and i could not take my eyes off of the land around me~i had this really strong feeling of being absolutely comfortable of my own solitary, personal path and it gave me such a feeling of excitement. i have no idea where on earth it came from, just totally out of the blue.
it just felt like an affirmation that i dont need a group, i dont need bells and whistles and all the 'stuff' some books tell us we must have...boy did it feel good :)
solsticedreamer

Postby Sujee » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:57 pm

I love Glennie's books and have almost all of them. I bought Sacred Celebrations for Majikmann last year and we use that as a reference if we plan to do anything together. I love Earth Cycles too and have the Tree and Ogham pamphlet books as well. Her celebrations sound like really wonderful 'family' affairs. I would like to do one like that one day and involve friends and family, will have to start planning for 2009!! :D

Not heard of Gail Duff, will keep my eyes open for that one.
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Carprimulgidae » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:57 pm

kit wrote:I love Glennie Kindred's "Sacred Celebrations" too, SS.

I can highly recommend that book, the information is very good and set in order of the seasons so worth looking into anyone who hasnt seen it.

put it on your yule list and you could be lucky
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Beantighe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Are you offering, Carp?? :twisted: :D
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby solsticedreamer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:39 am

oh B can i join in line then :D ...
ohh is that for the book? :oops: :wink:

i love Glennie Kindred, so far i have sacred clebrations, a battered copy of earth wisdom, herbal healers and hedgerow cookbook (with alistair appletons autograph in it :? )
solsticedreamer

Postby Moongoddess » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:46 pm

We have a fantastic little independant book shop in Bakewell. When we have a trip out there in the summer on the bike. I always make a beeline for it. I've bought all Glennie Kindred's books from there and the first 3 Stonewylde books :lol: :lol: I knew as soon as I saw the front cover, I'd enjoy them :D :D
Moongoddess

Postby wherethewildrosesgrow » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:01 pm

Moongoddess wrote:We have a fantastic little independant book shop in Bakewell. When we have a trip out there in the summer on the bike. I always make a beeline for it. I've bought all Glennie Kindred's books from there and the first 3 Stonewylde books :lol: :lol: I knew as soon as I saw the front cover, I'd enjoy them :D :D

MG I KNOW BAKEWELL REALLY WELL - MY SIS LIVES THERE - AND I KNOW KEITH WHO OWNS THE BOOKSHOP - YES I'M SHOUTING!!!!!! and I bought most of my Glennie Kindreds from there and my sis bought Stonewylde for me there too!!!!! small world - where do you live then???
where the willow weeps tears of diamond
and the oak bleeds pearls of dew
I have often dreamed there....
have you?

http://wherethewildrosesgrow.co.uk
wherethewildrosesgrow

Previous

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff