Jehovahs Witnesses

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Jehovahs Witnesses

Postby creature » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:55 am

I was brought up as a JW. So if anyone has any questions about them then I am happy to help.

Im now a very happy Pagan.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
love and light and magic
creature

Postby Greymalkin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:13 pm

About 2 years ago I used to get a visit every Sunday from a group of Jo-Jo's as regular as clockwork.
It was the middle of winter and I used to feel sorry for them and ask them in for a cup of tea.
We'd sit and chat about religion, life, the universe and everything and each week different people would come and I used to look quite forward to it. I would always accept a copy of the Watchtower - it was quite a good read.

Then it stopped for a while until one Sunday there were seven suited gentlemen at my door - they looked like baliffs so I panicked as I wondered what bill it was I hadn't paid.
Anyway, it turned out they were 'Elders' I think they said from the local Kingdom Hall.

So I invited them in and they wasted no time getting to the point. They were very unhappy that I was filling the heads of their people with notions of Witchcraft and Paganism to which I said it was they who visited me not the other way around, and try as I did they wouldn't accept a cup of tea from me.

They stayed less than an hour and told me I was to no longer invite any JW's into my home.
Bloody cheek! I'll invite whoever I like into my own house I said.

A few months went by and I saw one of the original old ladies at a bus stop. I ask why they stopped coming round and she informed me that I had been 'blacklisted'.
Does this mean I am a lost cause?
Greymalkin

Postby creature » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:30 pm

If you are a lost cause then we are in the same gang Greymalkin!

I must admit that the one thing JWs are most fearful and hateful of is paganism and witchcraft. I was taught that that is was from the devil to keep us away from the true god Jehovah. Also that the penticle is the sign of the Devil. It took me a few years to learn that it was all untrue.

After i left the religion (disfellowshiped) I had a pagan boyfriend which I always argued that he was wrong and that my upbringing was right. Very brainwashed on my part! Wow if he could see me now. a proper witchy creature!

I dont belive that they mean any harm, they are misinformed and naive. Its the JW way or the highway.

After 20 years of being brought up as a JW I chose the highway. Although I felt very educated by them, it was only what they wanted me to know. So now I am re-educting myself and loving it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:D
love and light and magic
creature

Postby Greymalkin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:49 pm

Good for you creature! :D

I sometimes forget that people have experiences like yours and am often insensitive to things like this.
I was raised in the most 'religion-free' home you could imagine.
My parents were never into the whole religion thing.
Christmas and Easter were just times of family get together and there was absolutely no religious education at school.
I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've been inside a church (horrible creepy places).

Because I never experienced that kind of religious restriction and quite organically found my way into paganism I forget that other people have very different stories.

Thanks for sharing yours.
Greymalkin

Postby creature » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Thank you for your support. I wont deny it has been hard.

I am now happier that ever. :D
love and light and magic
creature

Postby Carprimulgidae » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 pm

well done Creature, one brave girl with a mind of your own. How they get so brain washed and follow like sheep amazes me but there we are, all human and learn day by day :roll:

if you see some programs on sky they are scarry :lol:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Beantighe » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:44 am

I'm afraid I was freaked out by them when I was about 13. A JW man and woman somehow found their way all the way up to our isolated cottage in the middle of nowhere. Mother hospitably invited them in, as it had been a long trek up the stony farm track, and offered them a cup of tea. The woman sat, but the man wouldn't. He stood at one end of the kitchen table, behind a dining chair, holding onto the back of it, and began his harangue.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I'd never seen or heard of JWs before. The man was saying that only JWs would get into heaven, and everyone else would be cast into hell. I didn't think that was fair for a start! Then he said that all the JWs would be resurrected on Judgement Day. Mother said there wouldn't be room on earth for them all, upon which the man declared that God would drain the seas to accommodate them!!

How Mother eventually got rid of them, I don't know, but I sat there observing without a word, as she demolished every argument they put forward. It left a profound impression on me as a 13-year-old. As it was my first experience of JWs, I concluded that they were totally mad!

Some of them can be so creepy, but what really does upset me is to see them dragging very young children around with them in cold, wet weather, as they did when I lived up in Wiltshire. I just felt so sorry for the poor little lad, who couldn't have been more than 3 or 4. He looked so miserable, poor little chap.

The thing I object to most is the very thing they are renowned for: going from door to door. I not only feel threatened and frightened by them, but I believe without question that what they are doing is completely unethical and wrong, and I always used to be terrified of them getting hold of my children and brainwashing them, or worse still, enticing them away from home and estranging them from us, their parents. What they do in their own homes in private is their own business, but they don't have the right to push their beliefs onto others uninvited.

Luckily we don't get bothered with them here any more - could be something to do with the sign in my window which says: Beware! The Old Bat is Back!! :twisted: Or maybe the Dragon welcome sign!! :twisted: I wonder if they've blacklisted us too? :D

BB

Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Greymalkin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:52 am

Actually it can get even worse. I had a visit last Summer from a couple of Mormons. Talk about freak me out!

Two very handsome young men knocked at my door and immediately started their diatribe.
Now normally I am very polite to such people and invite them in but these two had a really bad feeling to them and every inch of me was screaming "DON'T LET THEM IN!"

They stood talkng for about 20 minutes and left.

About an hour later I looked out of my kitchen window and saw them standing directly across the road from my flat.
One was on a mobile phone while the other was sitting on a small wall writing something in his notebook.
They remained there for about 10 more minutes talking to each other and pointing at my flat.
Then a big black van pulled up and both got in. The van parked up opposite my flat and sat there for a good half an hour.
Then, the first two got out and started walking towards my flat again.
I don't know why but I totally freaked out.
Seriously, I began searching for a weapon. I ended up with the rolling pin - LOL! (I can laugh now but at the time I tell you I was bricking it).
Anyway, they knocked at the door and I opened it ajar with the rolling pin hidden behind the door, and I would have used it if they had tried to force entry.
They said they had forgotton to leave me some reading material. They handed me some leaflets and left.
I slammed that door and locked it.
The van sat there for at least 15 minutes before it left.

I tell you, those Mormons can be really creepy.
Greymalkin

Postby Daffodil » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:58 am

Greymalkin, that really sounds creepy and odd doesn't it? I couldn't help but giggle as you said you hid behind the door with a rolling pin - I would have been hiding under the duvet (as everyone knows - hiding ones head under a duvet makes all the baddy men dissappear!)

I find this thread quite fascinating, I have never been visited by anyone touting for their religion. So I find the stories here quite amazing. I had always heard the jokes about the JV's and their watchtower when I was a kid, but we never had one visit.

No-one explained to me what the watchtower was though and for years I thought it was like a little ornament they gave you. You know, like a little tacky Eiffel Tower you can buy in Paris.

Whatever gave me this idea I don't know. :?
Daffodil

Postby Carprimulgidae » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:51 am

well there are some scarry stories here, they all have this habbit of not giving up after the first 2 mins, be fair by then you have worked them out and dont want then to rant on any more they are not going to convert you.

I have friends that live on a small holding, up a little track similar to Beantighe. this couple are now well into their late 50s and have no children so a little short on patients and will tell you straight also you can talk straight to them. We got around to talking one day when I mentioned my wife was on the door for ages when a pair of JW's called and wouldnt leave.
They said oh we dont have them here anymore, we dont want anyone wasting our time when we got things to do. if we want to know we would ask them. Theye said when they first moved to this place they had a couple of visits but they soon got the idea when we just say to "go forth and multiply in a nice way" they have never had a visit to this day (25 odd years) so they must have a big red cross on their map to stay clear of them heathens.

Be honest, if any of us wanted to know more we would find out, not have it pushed on us.
Look on the bright side, if there is a hell we will all be going so it will be just like the gathering but warmer :lol:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby creature » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:14 am

I cant belive the bad experiences you have all had!

I used to be one of those people who knocked on your door. If you have already seen my pic in Kits blog then you will know I dont look like a stereotypical JW. In fact I used to attract quite a young set of people. How awful!!!!!

I cant feel guilty about it though because there is a a lot worse out there ie drugs etc. I know that have never ruined someones life. Sometimes I feel that mine has been , but then I also have to look on the positve and remember that I was taught a lot of morals.

Right, Im gona stop preaching now!!!!
love and light and magic
creature

Postby Ebany » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:54 am

I've always believed in live and let live. I have no time for people who are intolerant of others (can't even understand it!!) as I've met people from all walks of life, of many different races, colours and creeds and have met good and bad in them all.
Having said that, to agree with Carp, if I want to buy something, then I will go to the right sort of shop or whatever. So if someone comes to my door and tries to sell something, they will be politely told that I am not interested. If they persist, then I firmly tell them to go away, and if they carry on, then and only then will I start using stronger words and if necessary shut the door - walking along the rest of the street bothering other people is difficult with a broken foot....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
As for going to hell: 1. just like the devil, they invented it so that's their problem! 2. if they are all going to heaven and the rest of us to hell, that's fine, I don't want to waste another minute in their company and the rest of us can have one doozie of a party doing all the stuff that they are not allowed to do........ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby creature » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:44 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Im coming to your party Ebony.

Although just to clarify. Jw dont belive in Hell. You are either alive or dead. They do belive that Jehovah will stop this world and only rescue the true belivers in him. He will also resurrect the dead that believed in him too. The world will then become a paradise.

Personally, I think this world was a paradise untill religions started fighting.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
love and light and magic
creature

Postby Ebany » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:26 pm

So they will all be here together and no "unbelievers" ?
Hang on - that means that they'll no longer have to go knocking on peoples doors and trying to win souls...... it'll drive them all nuts!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby creature » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep. Just them and no unbelivers.

oh how funny. No doors. I would say that they would look for extraterestials to convert but they dont belive in them either!!!! :shock:
love and light and magic
creature

Next

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff