Jehovahs Witnesses

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby Greymalkin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:24 pm

Glad to hear it Beany. Yes, I've met some tyrants under the banner of the craft in my time.
My first HPS was a woman in her 50's, all the coveners were men under 30 and oh boy she made us get naked at the drop of a hat.
Nothing more than a pervert as far as I'm concerned, women can be perverts as well as men.
She used to make us decorate the 'temple room' (her living room) twice a year - how convienient.
And there have been other characters along the way with whom I've clashed swords and you know what? I'm glad I met each and every one of them because they each made me the strong person I am today.
I think the God and Goddess put these people on our paths in order to teach us.
Greymalkin

Postby Ebany » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:32 pm

Beantighe - that was a brilliant idea of yours to go Marian!! I'm sure that whatever she did worked - I would be very surprised if it didn't - she really is very good indeed!!! Marion is also quite right about skyclad - there is far too much emphasis placed on this, it is (I'm fairly sure) by a few genuine groups, and those would certainly not force initiates to do it but would only allow them to participate at deeper levels after a proper training. There are of course enough out there who insist on using it but I'm afraid that most of them are the exploiters and perverts who are attracted to any movement - and especially if they can find a way to get people to undress!!!
I must add that I am not prudish, I'm go to the sauna at least once a week - but that is different! If I were to be practising ritual nudity, then I would first of all have to get to know the people involved very well and know that I could trust them. As you also said in one of your earlier posts, perfect love and perfect trust is impossible if the people are not to be trusted!!!
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Beantighe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:54 pm

That's so true, Grey.

In fact, I'm so glad to hear other people's horror stories, because it makes me feel not so alone, because the isolation of thinking you're the only one is one of the very worst things, and it makes you clam up all the more, for fear of being thought stupid. Because when you're new, everyone else seems so knowledgeable and experienced, and newbies in a way expect to be taught because most of them have come from one of the organised religions, which have a priesthood or a clergy standing over them and between them and their god, so the mindset of having to have a teacher or a mentor is already well established. This makes them ideal targets for unscrupulous individuals who like to feed off new and innocent energy like the psychic vampires they are.

It's true, folks - have you ever been around a person who makes you feel drained, weak and ill at ease just by being near them? If this happens every time, then it's pretty likely you've met a psychic vampire. Sometimes these people don't know they're doing it, but there are others who are very well aware of what they're doing, and will drain your energy if you let them. The thing to do is to have the courage to stand up to them, and they'll soon back away if they know you're wise to it.
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby creature » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:31 am

This thread has been fascinating. Ive been gone for a week and there are so many emotions flying around. I think we can all safetly say that we have all been abused in some way by another human.

Maybe we should start another thread about this subject. I feel that the title of this thread is lost compared to the importance that this thread has now become.

We can all support each other.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX [smilie=msn_kiss.gif]
love and light and magic
creature

Postby kit » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:40 am

You're right, Creature. The JW bit has been diverted to the new subject (equally interesting) so it's not obvious where to find all the new things. I'll ask Mr B (as administrator) if we can move some of this other topic to a new one with a more relevant title.

As you say, it's great that we can all support each other in this - I really feel for people who've been damaged by others' beliefs and behaviour. How brilliant that we can talk about it openly, which has got to be therapeutic, and know that everyone understands and sympathises - and hopefully learns from it too.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby sea sprite » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:48 pm

It sounds like some of us have had really awful experiences with covens and so on. Do we have to expect that we are to come up against people like this on our path? As someone very new to all this, it worries me a bit, as it would be nice to meet fellow pagans, but not if I'm going to have to put up with all these self important people that seem to be attracted to it! I know that there are idiots in all walks of life, but this is something very important to me and if I had a bad experience it might really put me off. I think I would feel more comfortable working alone anyway, but it would be nice to eventually meet some local pagans just to get an idea of how some things can be done.

I'm not easily taken in and can say 'no' to people, but as I know so little about the whole pagan 'scene' then I wouldn't know what was typical and what was just rubbish being spouted by some puffed up HP! :roll: :?

My ideal scenario would to be able to work with one or two people that I got to know well and that I could trust. At the moment though I'm going to have to be content with doing what I feel to be right regarding festivals. I've never done a ritual or anything before, so it would be useful to see some in action, but not at the expense of being drawn into a web of perverts! :shock: :( :lol:
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Beantighe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:05 pm

In that case, Sea Sprite, I'd simply love to take you up the woods here with Clarysage and our friend Di, to our special little spot. We have a little fireplace there, ringed with stones, and in the past we've done some lovely little festival celebrations up there. We take tealights in jam jars and hang them from the trees, and we have a stone slab for an altar. One tree, in the North, has amazing patterns wound round it in ivy, and we call it the Pentacle tree, because that's what the ivy pattern looks like. One day we hope to be able to get up there again, but the difficulty is getting all of us together in the same place at the same time! (It's like herding cats, lol!)

I know you'd love it!
Beantighe

Postby solsticedreamer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:24 pm

reading these personal stories makes me so glad i have always been solitary :shock: i know not all groups are the same of course...but i am still glad!

whats better is you have all been able to get out of those situations and pulled back up to the reality of it and not someone's personal little fantasy
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Beantighe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:17 pm

That's true, SD, and it took me so many years to realise it. I find that I do still crave Pagan company, like on here, which is lovely, but it's also great to be on my own personal Path and not have to explain or justify it to others and then have them look down their collective noses at me when i don't 'conform'! I don't do conforming - I don't think I ever have!
Beantighe

Postby solsticedreamer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:35 am

thats true B and why i came away from some other groups online.
there are so many out there who say how tolerant they are but then put people down and laugh at them just because they read the 'wrong' book or ask a question about something. some people (note i say some!) have a horrible superior attitude that their path is the best and the only one.
when someone is new to a path they have to learn somehow and if it means going out and buying lots of books, some which could be pretty crappy, then they should. then read them and make their own informed choices and so what if it is not the same as anothers...we do live in a free world :)

hooray for the stonewylde family and all our individual paths :D :D :D
solsticedreamer

Postby Greymalkin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 am

Having said all of that however there have been times when I have seen newbies to the craft makng the most terrible mistakes and when I've tried to correct them I've been shouted down as a know-it-all.
It's always wise to be able to tell the difference between somebody interfering and somebody offering good advice.
Greymalkin

Postby Sujee » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:46 pm

True words Greymalkin....
If anyone offers good advice wisely, I don't see how anyone could take it the wrong way. But then, some people could be over sensitive and take everything the wrong way, as if it was being given from a 'holier than though' point of view, which, I would like to think, is not the case most of the time. It is a delicate balance but if one listens to the advice and tries it out - it will either work for them or not...

Hm, just read this back - I hope it makes sense 'out loud' so to speak!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby solsticedreamer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Greymalkin wrote:It's always wise to be able to tell the difference between somebody interfering and somebody offering good advice.

yes thats very true greymalkin
solsticedreamer

Postby Greymalkin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:49 pm

I've found the problem stems from this terrible attitude that seems to have developed within the craft where people think anything goes.
The "It feels right so I'll do it" kind of mentality seems to cover up a multitude of sins.
While it's true that the craft certainly is open to slight alterations on various themes it really mustn't be allowed to become some kind of spiritual 'pick and mix'.
There are right and wrong ways to do everything and people who have been practicing the craft for many years onviously know the 'right' ways.
Newer people seem to have the idea they can do as they please and 'older' people are just trying to have an ego trip.
Greymalkin

Postby kit » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:03 pm

So how does "An it harm none, do what ye will" fit into that?
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

PreviousNext

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff