Jehovahs Witnesses

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby Greymalkin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:20 pm

As far as I'm concerned (and this is only my opinion) An' it harm none is something that was created by Gerald Gardiner.

Most religions have a 'Do unto others' rule and Wicca is no exception.

It's fine if you follow the strict rules of Gardinerianism - but what if you don't?

Personally I prefer to rely on my own sense of 'right and wrong' without having someone else tell me.
If I can justify my actions to myself and feel comfortable with them then I'll do what needs to be done.

So many Witches start to panic when it comes to so-called 'dark' magic. Most of the time (I believe) it's perfectly justifiable when used for self protection or self defence.

Too many people get the wrong end of the stick when it comes to Karma as well.
Is it bad Karma to defend yourself or your loved ones? I don't think so.
If somebody comes at you with a knife are you just going to stand there because to retaliate might bring you bad Karma? I doubt it.

The only time I see using magick against someone as 'bad' is when you do it just for the fun of it.
To create mischief for somebody just because you can is always wrong, but if you feel you are justified in your actions - go for it.
Greymalkin

Postby sea sprite » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Greymalkin, I would love to meet people that have been involved in paganism for a long time and therefore know the 'right' way to do things, but where is it possible to meet these people? :? I know there are several moots around, but I would feel uncomfortable going to one of those without knowing anyone there first. I could e-mail the person that runs it I suppose and see what they tell me about the moot, but I would still feel apprehensive. Also, transport is a problem for me at the moment too.

If it's not too personal a question, how did you find your way onto your path? I feel like I'm floundering around all over the place at the moment and I would love to meet some genuine pagans local to me, but at the moment that's not really a possibility. I prefer the idea of working on my own anyway, but I would obviously like some guidance from others too :)
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Sorcha » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:05 pm

sea sprite wrote:Greymalkin, I would love to meet people that have been involved in paganism for a long time and therefore know the 'right' way to do things, but where is it possible to meet these people? :? I know there are several moots around, but I would feel uncomfortable going to one of those without knowing anyone there first. I could e-mail the person that runs it I suppose and see what they tell me about the moot, but I would still feel apprehensive. Also, transport is a problem for me at the moment too.

Sea Sprite I also went to a pub moot without knowing anyone beforehand. If it is a good pub moot the person who runs it will make you will feel welcome! In my case I arrived early but as soon as the people who runned it were there they introduced themselves and introduced me to the others. It felt very right and the good thing about a pub moot is that you can always leave if you do not feel comfortable! For me it worked out perfectly! I met some wonderful people there and with a some of them we started our first womens group. Through this pubmoot I also met people who gave workshops and through these workshops I met other people etc. etc.

If it's not too personal a question, how did you find your way onto your path? I feel like I'm floundering around all over the place at the moment and I would love to meet some genuine pagans local to me, but at the moment that's not really a possibility. I prefer the idea of working on my own anyway, but I would obviously like some guidance from others too :)

Next to pubmoots you can also do workshops! I know for instance that Marian Green still does workshops in the South of England. You can try to get hold of Quest Magazine, or pm me if you would like to know more about this! Glennie Kindred also does workshops and so do a lot of others. Workshops are very open, you can see what works for you and then follow that path! You do not need to be initiated right away in order to do workshops! And you meet lots of like minded people :P
Sorcha

Postby Ebany » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:03 pm

Sea Sprite,
one of the very best ways for beginners to get to meet people is through the Pagan Federation. Being an umbrella organisation, their events are open by nature. They also have a list of local moots. http://www.paganfed.org/
There are also quite a few people on here who are only to willing to help. You are welcome to pm me in any case if I can be of any help.
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Greymalkin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:40 pm

sea sprite wrote:If it's not too personal a question, how did you find your way onto your path?

You've already answered your own question, I went to moots and groups and just met people.

I understand it's difficult to do if you are shy or have transport problems but in my experience if you want to meet people in the craft you have to get out there and meet them.
Greymalkin

Postby Sorcha » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 pm

Greymalkin wrote:
sea sprite wrote:If it's not too personal a question, how did you find your way onto your path?

You've already answered your own question, I went to moots and groups and just met people.

I understand it's difficult to do if you are shy or have transport problems but in my experience if you want to meet people in the craft you have to get out there and meet them.

My sentiments exactly! In the beginning it might be a little scary but it is the only way to really meet people with like-minded ideas !! And as Ebany said the joining the Pagan Federation is a great way to find the right pubmoots!
Sorcha

Postby sea sprite » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 pm

I know the best thing is to get out there and meet people and it seems that most moots are held in pubs, which would be a bit less intimidating. It's odd, because I'm not shy and will happily go along to events and so on on my own. I think people's experiences of weirdos have just scared me a bit :lol:

As I'm so new to all this, I would feel a bit out of my depth if people talked about things I had no idea about. Then again, if they were condescending or tried to belittle me then I would know to stay well clear of them! The PF website is good and I've looked at it in the past. I'm considering emailing the people that run the moots nearest to me, but it will be hard to get to them as they're held in the evening and I don't drive :roll: I like the idea of workshops too. I'll have to start investigating and see what I can find out! :D
sea sprite x

sea sprite

Postby Ebany » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 pm

I'll have to start investigating and see what I can find out!

Good for you SS!!! Go for it!!!! :D :D :D
Just a thought, if you e-mail the people from the moots near you, maybe there will be someone near you who drives to the moot and could give you a lift?? That way, you have transport and you've talked to at least one person before you go on in there!!! :D :D :D
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby sea sprite » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:45 pm

That's an idea, Ebany, but to be honest, I think I'd rather get a lift there and back with my husband the first time (I'm just too suspicious!). Obviously, if things went well and I got on with people there then getting a lift with someone else would be the ideal solution :)
sea sprite x

sea sprite

Previous

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff