Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby Ebany » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:11 pm

as if we do much straying Eb
who us???? Naaaah!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Greymalkin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:49 am

Nikki, it isn't so much the 'cloak and dagger' stuff I object to, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of mystique, the only real grumble I have with what I read on the website was the negative comments about other branches of the craft.
I do get a bit huffy when I hear people saying things like "Do this course and you'll be a 'proper' Witch".
There is no right or wrong approach to the craft. Hereditaries will say they are the only 'proper' witches, Gardinarians will say they are the only 'proper' witches, Traditionalists will say they are the only 'proper' witches, and the arguing goes on and on and on, and it's all pointless.
I have nothing against these people or anyone who teaches the craft, I just get a bit grumpy when they claim theirs is the 'right' way.
Let's leave all that bickering to the mainstream religions.
Greymalkin

Postby nikki/tony » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:21 pm

i do agree ,i was a bit dissapointed with `artthu `over that part,but they are a bit sensetive due to being delibratly slated by other `groups` who dont want compertition so to speek ,i myself didnt just jump into the first thing that came along i was a member of the pagan federation ,have met people of all paths` in my 'travels` !as you said everyone says that every one says theres is the true way .everyone has a mind of there own to believe what they want and as i said before each to there own .
wytchwood
nikki/tony

Postby Greymalkin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:27 pm

Glad we settled that then. :D
Greymalkin

Postby creature » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:31 am

Wow!!

I have only been gone a week and so much has happened.

xxxxxxx
love and light and magic
creature

Postby Greymalkin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Where???
Greymalkin

Postby Beantighe » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:24 pm

That's just it, though. There is no 'one true way', and anyone who says there is makes all my antennae start twitching, and I tend to run at a hundred miles an hour in the other direction. As a newbie 14 years ago, I was very badly hurt by a Wiccan teaching coven, when I was green as grass and didn't know what to expect. The HP was a manipulative bully who once had me in tears. I ended up not trusting anybody, and he drove me into a near nervous breakdown by messing with my mind. This guy's method was to be secretive, but at the same time drop mysterious hints, just to keep you hooked, wanting to be 'in' on the big secret, and part of the 'inner circle'. That was how he sucked you in. When I finally stood up to him, he yelled at me until his face went puce, and then I found out that he was going round telling everybody (in the Pagan world) that I was mad, just to make sure that nobody would believe me if I tried to tell anyone what he was like. I was so lonely for the next two years, because he spread so many lies, and was so plausible, that he turned me into a recluse for fear of what people might think of me.

I hope you understand now why I reacted the way I did. I still prefer to be solitary, and I still have trouble trusting people who offer courses and demand secrecy, and I could never stand in Circle and say Perfect Love and Perfect Trust to strangers ever again. Trust is everything, and without honesty and openness there can be no trust. I will never again trust anyone merely because I'm told I can. I have to protect myself.
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby nikki/tony » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:02 pm

hi beantighe,im so very very sorry to hear what happened ,beleave me i know exactly what you mean,mine started with the church tryed to split me and tony up then put a big rift between me and my dad he missed out on the first year of his gransons life because of it ive been terified of them finding out im back in chester (we ran away to wales then crewe to escape them!)i wont bore you with the rest but to say that was just the start,im now agraphobic ,dont have friends and im only just starting to talk to people again (thanks to some old school friends who talk to me everyday online ).the first thing i do as an agroraphobic is look for the exsits i do the same thing with people :roll: i watched this site for 3 weeks before i wrote anything.i wont start talking of arddth again only to say i too am a solitary witch,it just helped me understand better what i was seeing and feeling ,its left up to you after you finish what you do .anyway i hope you understand i didnt put the site up for people to go to only to say this is me ,im not wiccan the whole darkness thing is because we only work after dark!not because we are bad people as some think .anyhow thats enough too much seriousness for my liking ,time for some fun! :lol: :lol: :lol: i hope you can forgive me for bringing up bad memmories :?
wytchwood
nikki/tony

Postby MouseDemon » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:33 pm

Unfortunately there are geets and bumholes in every walk of life. When I first began adventuring on the pagan scene some years ago I came across some right pieces of work. Unfortunately I didn't spot them for what they were straight away.

Needless to say, we all fell out in big ways, after I declined their offer of coven training. The irritating (but also amusing really) thing is the last I heard, they were going around saying to anyone that I have asked to join, but they had to turn me down. When I found this out I couldn't decide if I was angry, irritated, amused or just sorry for the sad waste of space.

You have to look at it like this. You need to have the experience of these people, so in the future you immediately know who is full O'it, and who isn't. I know I will never make the same mistake again.

MD
What other people think of you is actually none of your business...
MouseDemon

Postby kit » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:35 pm

Did anyone see my latest blog? I've written about just this subject! Do take a look if you can. :D
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Beantighe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:07 am

Nikki hon, please don't worry, you've nothing to apologise for. I'm in complete solidarity with you, as I know exactly how this kind of treatment makes you feel, and yes, my experiences had just the same effect on me. I became afraid to go out, and to this day I don't have anything to do with local Pagans. I can't stand and won't have anything to do with Pagan egos and elitism and the 'I can zap a bigger thunderbolt than you' brigade, and those who constantly name-drop and try to bedazzle newbies with the 'I'm a 98th degree Grand Wombat' routine! :twisted: :D If it taught me one thing, it's how to recognise idiots with their heads so far up their own rear ends they could bite their own heads off!

But d'you know, it was this experience that made me realise that I didn't need anyone else to teach me, I could teach myself, because the one good thing they did tell me was that it's not a case of learning from scratch, it's more like remembering what you already knew. I was told the answers are all inside you already, you just have to learn how to access them. Once I understood that, it was empowering and invigorating, and I felt as if I could fly, I felt so free! A lot of people don't realise this, and waste years of their lives in a state of self-imposed paralysis, thinking that they can't learn and progress until they can find a teacher. I know, I did. But I've found that if you rely on the teachings of others, especially those who see themselves as some kind of guru, it doesn't occur to you to think for yourself, and you become dependent. So looking back, although it didn't seem like it at the time, those people did me a great favour.

And now I'm free to come here and harass you all!! :twisted: :twisted:

Love Beantighe
Beantighe

Postby sea sprite » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:20 pm

Beantighe, I love reading your messages :) You've got a great way with words and they're a pleasure to read. I'm in total agreement with your messages on this thread. It's useful for 'newbies' like me to know all this sort of stuff, so if I do meet any local pagans I can question what they tell me and have my 'idiot detector' at the ready :lol:
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Greymalkin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:47 pm

I know it's probably easy for me to say but meeting a'holes like you have is actually a good thing.
People like that teach you how to be strong and independant and a Witch is nothing if he/she isn't strong and independant.
Also, they teach how NOT to be a Witch.

:lol:
Greymalkin

Postby Sujee » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:34 pm

Loved the blog Kit, very thought provoking question at the end...

And hear hear to Beantighe, Sea Sprite and Greymalkin too! :D
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Beantighe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks, all of you, and Greymalkin, you're dead right! But I have to say, it was a horrible experience, and I had absolutely no-one to turn to at the time. I even began to think I was going mad! I'd been down here almost no time at all, I was in a strange town and didn't know a soul, and moreover, I didn't think there was a soul I could trust. I've never been so frightened in my life. I even contacted an organisation called the Whitestone Survivor's Network (they advertised in Pagan Dawn at the time) who were supposed to help victims of coven abuse. They took 2 months to get back to me, and when they did, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with this group, and suggested that it was me that had the problem!! :shock: So that's how good this HP had been at covering his tracks!

In the end, I wrote to Marion Green (the author of A Witch Alone) as I was in despair, and I'll always be grateful to her, as she wrote back and said that the way I'd been treated was no part of the Craft, it was abuse, and if I'd tell her their names, she'd make sure they never hurt anyone again. I also told her how they'd made everyone in the group work skyclad, and how I'd hated it, especially as the HP had brought this pervert into the group, and wouldn't listen to me when I said I wasn't happy or comfortable around him. She said it was no part of the British Tradition to work skyclad, and no-one should force anyone to do something against their will. I still have that letter.

Whatever Marion did, it worked, because not too long after I'd got away from their clutches, the HP and his wife split up and left town, and I've only clapped eyes on him once since, and by then I wasn't frightened of him any more, he'd lost all power over me.

So yes, they certainly taught me a lot in a roundabout way, but ye gods! What a way to have to learn! It was a baptism of fire, all right! But I certainly think I was forged in that fire. You're so right, Greymalkin - what doesn't destroy you makes you stronger, and I always was an ornery cuss!! :D
Beantighe

PreviousNext

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff