Totems and Familiars?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby cornmother » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Big sigh of relief from CM. [smilie=msn_rainbow.gif]

I would never intentionally hurt anyone or try and make them feel small. Sorry if you've had a bad day, WildRose. Now how can we fix the grumps?

With a smile,
CM
Joy, Health, Love and Peace
cornmother

Postby Beantighe » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:15 pm

Just a thought, but....................does a thing have to be necessarily true for us to relate to it? After all, what is knowledge? Do we follow and accept the received wisdom or 'facts' or do we strike out and find our own? Do you think it matters, as long as we're not trying to press it on others as fact? Of course, I'm not referring to anything scientific, like the Law of Gravity, lol!

Just musing here, trying to look at the question from a different angle............

I believe a lot of useful info can be found on Wikipaedia, but all I'm saying is be analytical and don't think to yourself, Oh it's on Wikipaedia, therefore they're right and I must be wrong.

I'll stop waffling now, but I hope you understand what I mean.

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby solsticedreamer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 am

good words B, when you think about it the bible was changed to suit king james so really those who follow it strictly are following the whim of that king and not the bible as it was. but also was the original bible a collection of myths, stories and truths collected over many years rather than the absolute truth?
:roll: get off the subject SD...

i think wiki is okay for points as long as you can back it up with other research from more reliable sources...but then how reliable are they?!
....oh good grief i am getting my coat :? ...
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby wherethewildrosesgrow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:29 am

blimey :roll: I use wiki as a resource for further research - ususally, though not always on wiki you will get the source reference whence came the "facts" referred to in whatever search you have done - so you can take off from there - I was just idling away on google and came across the page to which I posted a link and I found the list of references to familiars in Literature and film interesting - never intended it to be "look what's true", just something I thought might be of interest - can you ever tell what is true/fact? - most things are going to be someone's interpretation..... :shock: :P
where the willow weeps tears of diamond
and the oak bleeds pearls of dew
I have often dreamed there....
have you?

http://wherethewildrosesgrow.co.uk
wherethewildrosesgrow

Pickywedia

Postby cornmother » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:33 am

What a sensible lot of people you all are!

Just out of interest, have you looked up Stonewylde on Wikipedia? then go to the History tab, and see how many people have put their tuppenceworth in and added and subtracted to the original text. Correcting typos is acceptable, but the nit-picking and changing things can sometimes be over the top. Whose book is it anyway???

:shock:

CM
Joy, Health, Love and Peace
cornmother

Postby Beantighe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:04 am

Roses, honey, please don't be upset - no-one's criticising you in any way, we all love you here!

It's just that sometimes our minds whirl round in peculiar directions, and we put our ideas and reflections on here to see what people think, or even to put a side of the question that might not have been thought of. It's all said with the greatest respect, honey, and never meant to upset anyone.

You Wiki away to your heart's content, sweetie - I'm sure no-one's going to throw the baby out with the bathwater!!

(((((hugs)))))

Love Beantighe

xxxx
Beantighe

Postby wherethewildrosesgrow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:48 am

not upset at all :) just standing my ground :evil: !!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
where the willow weeps tears of diamond
and the oak bleeds pearls of dew
I have often dreamed there....
have you?

http://wherethewildrosesgrow.co.uk
wherethewildrosesgrow

Postby Brooke » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:13 pm

I feel left out. (Not because of the Wiki conversation)

I don't have a totem, or any familiars and no amazing experiences with animals. Well, I have had pets (including a pet Kangaroo at one time!) but nothing which really had an impact.

How will I know I have picked the right one? Do I need to have an experience to know it's the totem for me?

What do you think?

PS I didn't even know you could change anything on Wiki. I am so clueless. Didn't know what a mooncup was until a few days ago! ...Totally clueless....... :oops:
Brooke

Postby kit » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:45 pm

Oh Brooke - you're not clueless at all! Look what you've done for me with the Big Green Bookshop! As for mooncups - I didn't know about them until fairly recently either. I only knew about Wiki because Mr B told me.

And regarding familiars and totems: I don't suppose many people have a familiar, and I bet there are loads of people who just have a pet they love especially and then call it a familiar, so I wouldn't worry about that. And you'll know what your totem is one day - you just haven't fixed on it yet. Like in the Dark Materials trilogy, where children's daemons change constantly because they don't yet know what the right one is. And if you haven't read the books or seen the film - don't worry either!!

I'd always loved black cats and owls, especially barn owls, but after my experience with the hare I knew for sure that I'd finally found my totem. But that wasn't till I was into my forties! One day you'll just feel that an animal or bird or even something else like a green man, crescent moon or other symbol is what you really feel an affinity with. You can't force it. So don't worry! xxx
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby sea sprite » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:33 pm

I've never had a familiar or a totem either Brooke. I'm very new to my path, although I am very drawn to the Green Man and also the moon (probably because I'm a Cancerian).
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Sujee » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:05 pm

I love the images of the Green Man too SS! And the moon is one of my best things to stare at!

I think the Green Man (Lord, whatever you want to call him) gets a poor deal sometimes with all teh Goddess stuff going on everywhere... (whoops off topic sorry :oops: )

I thought my totem would be a wildcat or a Lynx but I was told recently that I woudl see something flying in the sky which would change my life so I shall wait and see what the new year brings! Maybe a new totem...?!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Beantighe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:23 pm

I knew it was you I shared a birthday with, SeaSprite! :D I think our tastes must be very similar, because I love the Green Man and the Moon too! - and Herne, the Horned One. I feel them so strongly when I'm up in the woods.

As for totems or familiars, I don't think I've got any either, unless you count my old cat Pixie. He's always been a faithful cat, very close to me, not like young Mosca, who's her own mistress and lets everybody know it! :wink:

love Beantighe
Beantighe

Postby Beantighe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:27 pm

Hmmmmm....................something flying in the sky, Sujee.............wouldn't be EasyJet, would it? :twisted:
Beantighe

Postby Sujee » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:41 pm

:P :P :lol: maybe....! Or a UFO?! :lol:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby sea sprite » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:55 am

I love Herne too, Beantighe :D I first heard of him when I was 10 and I used to love watching the 'Robin of Sherwood' TV series. I still watch it on DVD :lol: Herne often appeared in that. I love woods. My husband and I went to the woods with Robin a couple of weekends ago and it was wonderful there :D

PS. Yes, we do have the same birthday, Beantighe!
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

PreviousNext

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff