Daffodil's Book Thread - what floats your boat, guys?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Daffodil's Book Thread - what floats your boat, guys?

Postby Beantighe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Well, as we were saying.................. :wink:

The quote about pagans being so keen to be skyclad, they have to wear a house, comes from A Witch Alone by Marion Green. The subtitle is Thirteen Moons to master Natural Magic. - note, no 'k'!!! Some of her ritual methods can be a little complicated for the beginner, but apart from that, there's much history, lore, advice and real down to earth common sense in this book. She's a very kind, if extremely busy lady, and when I had occasion to write to her once with a problem, she replied that working skyclad was no part of the British tradition, and no-one should make you do anything you're not comfortable with.

Another book I treasure is HedgeWitch by Rae Beth. The first half of this book consists of letters that Rae wrote to two novices who were just starting out on the Path around 1996. She takes them through the Wheel of the Year and all the lore associated with each festival. Because it is written in the form of letters, it has a lovely personal feel to it. The second half of the book contains various meditations and pathworkings which you could record yourself onto tape.

I would also heartily recommend anything by Teresa Moorey or Cassandra Eason. Cassandra has written a great many books, but for anyone interested in Druidry, A Modern Day Druidess is a good book to start with. It's very reader-friendly, and if you want to go into greater depth, look for books by Emma Restall Orr.

There are so many other books which I love, but I think these will do to be going on with, otherwise I shall list my whole library and thoroughly confuse all of you, as well as myself!!

Happy hunting,

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Sujee » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:14 pm

Good thread Beantighe!

I have Natural Magic by Marian and I started it years ago (it was one of my first 'pagan' books. I found it daunting then but I am about to re read it with older wiser eyes and I am sure I will thoroughly enjoy it. I would like Thirteen Moons - I shall put it on my wish list!

The Gentle Arts of Aquarian Magic is another one of hers which I have to read as well. Good thing the nights are long now!

I first got my teeth into a Scott Cunningham book about Crystal Gem and Metal Magic which a friend in the States got for me. I have several of his now and I like his gentle style although i find his wording for spells/rituals a little flowery sometimes. A good beginning to the path for me.

Also have some Cassandra Eason books and have heard her talk several times and have met her too (she was very comforting when I lost my Dad). Also a Colin and Janet Farrar Witches' Bible, several Kate West's, Witchcraft Theory and Practice by De Angeles (a bit intense!) and several others... I must admit I do dip in and out of them so I think I shall read each author at a time, see where they are coming from and understand what makes them tick, compare and then see where I am!! How long is Winter?? :lol: :lol:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Beantighe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 pm

Too ruddy long!!! :lol: :lol:
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Daffodil » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:05 am

Wow, thanks for starting this thread Beantighe. I looked up that book I mentioned in the other thread and it is called 'Paganism For Teenagers - Thinking Like A Pagan' and is written by Jess Wynne.
http://www.capallbann.co.uk/popup.cfm?p_n=404519&p_i=404519
I bought it while I was on honeymoon in Glastonbury and gave it to my daughter. It didn't 'turn her into a pagan' that was never my intention, but it did make her think about things a bit more.

The publisher is Capall Bann and I have another of their books called 'Solitary Eclectic Witchcraft' by Liz Pilley.
http://www.capallbann.co.uk/popup.cfm?p_n=260592&p_i=260592
There is a list of all the Capall Bann books here
http://www.capallbann.co.uk/home.cfm
I love reading about a variety of subjects including paganism, but I do agree with some posts that were made elsewhere that it is important to remember the books can't tell you what to do. For me it is about going outside and discovering how nature affects me personally.

I know most of it is personal preferance, but I choose not to perform rituals by following through a list of steps in a book. I don't need that kind of guidance, but I do understand some other people might prefer to practice that way.

There are lots of other books in from the publishers that I would like to read, mainly about fairies and one called 'Understanding Flower Spirits'. I must give Chunky a hint.

NB - Hints don't normally work with him though, I will probably have to go and buy it and say, "Look what you bought me today!"
Daffodil

Postby sea sprite » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:50 am

I've got 'A Witch Alone' and 'Hedgewitch' too :D I got them a couple of years ago, but never finished them as I've had so much going on since then. A bad excuse I know. I shall make a concerted effort to finish them as they are lovely books.

Did Wicca put a 'k' on the end of magic then? Why?! I think it looks better without a 'k' :lol: :oops:

Some books I love, but they're not pagan, are the novels by Susan Cooper. There are 5 in the 'Dark is Rising' sequence and she wrote them during the mid '60s to the late 70s. In order, they are:

Over Sea, Under Stone
The Dark is Rising
Greenwitch
The Grey King
Silver On The Tree

I've got them all in one volume. I first read 'Over Sea, Under Stone' when I was 10 or 11, as they are children's/teenagers books, but I love them. 'The Dark is Rising' is my favourite. I believe it was made in to a Hollywood 'blockbuster' recently, but I think it got bad reviews. The book is great! I always think of rereading it at this time of year as it's set at Yule :D
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby solsticedreamer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:23 am

i have 'a witch alone' and really love it, also 'hedgewitch' (a present from my mum!)

as a general good story
manda scotts four 'Dreaming' books are amazing, written around the story of Boudica but going deep into the tribes, 'pagan' beliefsthe Roman invaision etc and she introduces the concept of druids at the time but calls them 'dreamers'. i have read them countless times but each time is like the first, other ideas and concepts sort of jump out at you and you think 'oh yes!'....now i have got myself all fired up and need to start them again!!!

sea sprite i love the sound of the dark is rising books~think i may treat myself next week!
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby sea sprite » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:28 am

They're great books, SD :D My copy of all five in one big volume is called 'The Dark is Rising' sequence, although they can also be bought separately I would imagine.
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby solsticedreamer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:21 pm

ohhh i am going to get them...or ask swampy for them for my yule gift :D
solsticedreamer

Postby iWitch » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:22 am

Is this thread about our favourite books on paganism? Sorry, but I missed the earlier post from which this thread was hived. :?
iWitch

Postby Daffodil » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:33 am

Hello iWitch,

Yes, I had mentioned in another thread about a book I had bought for my daughter, but I couldn't remember the name of it so I said I would look it up and then start a new thread (so as not to hijak the other one).

When I came back on the forum the following day, Beantighe had kindly started Daffodil's Book Thread, which was lovely because I would probably have forgotten about it if she hadn't! :oops:

So I guess it is a thread about books we've enjoyed and books we may have found useful, particulary about paganism and related topics.
Daffodil

Postby Sorcha » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:59 pm

My favourite books are also the books of Marian Green. She is a wonderful Down to Earth lady and her books are very practical!! She also teaches Summer School and does workshops! Very educational!!

And of course the books of Phyllis Curott. Specially the "Book of Shadows" and " Witchcrafting" are really good books! The first reads as a novel, it is her story of how she became a witch. Being a practical lawyer, very down to Earth and slowly she begins to realize there is more to Earth than she first thought. The second book is very practical. Lots of good exercises and to use her own words " definitely not the word according to the holy Phyllis Curott!" ( she actually says that if it is treated that way she has failed with this book!) She challenges you to think for yourself and trust your instincts!

I also love the Starhawk books, specially " Circle Round" ( Raising Children in the Goddess tradition") Lots of good ideas and beautiful stories to tell children. To raise them in a pagan way.

The books of Janet and Stewart Farrar, not the Witches Bible ( In one way or another I did not get through that book!) but "The Witches Goddess" and "The Witches God" are quite good, so are the books of Janet Farrar and Gavin Bone " The Healing Craft" and "Progressive Witchcraft" although I am a bit reserved on the way they give workshops.

I have just received the book " Horns of Power" Manifestations of the Horned God" edited by Sorita d'Este through Amazon. It is an anthology of essays exploring the Horned Gods. Very interesting!!

Anyway, there are many many more good books, but these are my favourites at the moment!!

:P :P :P
:?
Sorcha

Postby Felicity » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:02 pm

I know Kate West has received some schtick, but I think her Real Witches handbook is a must for the 'basics'. My Real Witches Kitchen is also very well thumbed - I use a lot of her suggestions for my own incense and oils.

Scott CUnningham is quite good and also Rae Beth's Hedgewytch. This is a gentle read for me that I take into the bath sometimes!!

Also I know it's fiction but can I add Mists of Avalon? For Goddess worship II think it's very well researched and beautifully written.
Are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze at them because we are human? And do the stars gaze back - now that's a question!
Felicity

Postby solsticedreamer » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:02 pm

felicity i love the mists of avalon :)
i bought it first when i was in college and a few years ago had to replace it as it was so worn and falling apart :lol:

have you read the other books that go with it?
solsticedreamer

Postby Sorcha » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:20 pm

solsticedreamer wrote:felicity i love the mists of avalon :)
i bought it first when i was in college and a few years ago had to replace it as it was so worn and falling apart :lol:

have you read the other books that go with it?

I am now reading "Ravens of Avalon" by Diane L.Paxson. She is of course no Marian Zimmer Bradley, but I think she captures the atmosphere very well indeed!!! It is the story about Boudica! Lhiaddon and Ardanos from the Forest House are still young here! A good read!!!!!
Last edited by Sorcha on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorcha

Postby Felicity » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Yes, read them all but only one I really liked was Lady of Avalon. Mists will always be my favourite though. I read it at university in a course called Arthurian Literature and its Legacy!

I guess that's when I started to become interested in paganism.
Are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze at them because we are human? And do the stars gaze back - now that's a question!
Felicity

Next

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff