Daffodil's Book Thread - what floats your boat, guys?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby Sorcha » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:48 pm

Felicity wrote:Yes, read them all but only one I really liked was Lady of Avalon. Mists will always be my favourite though. I read it at university in a course called Arthurian Literature and its Legacy!

I guess that's when I started to become interested in paganism.

I also like "Mists" best but read it so many times I tried the others as well! Not all of them are good though...... most of them okay. The only I did not truly like is "Ancestors of Avalon".
Sorcha

Postby Ebany » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:36 pm

I borrowed Mists from a friend shortly after it came out - loved it, particularly the way that it treated the whole Arthurian legend from another viewpoint with the women playing a much more important role and the biggest problems being caused by the old religion being overrun by christianity.

Other books with a Pagan/Wiccan/Magic theme that I love are Guardians of the Tall Stones by Moyra Caldicott (thanks Sorcha!!) and the Deverry series by Katherine Kerr.
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Beantighe » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:35 pm

I think I mentioned before, Ebany - I'd love to read the Deverry series again - it must have been about 15 or 16 years ago that I read them last, but our library didn't have them here last time I looked. It would cost a fortune to buy them all, there's so many. I can't imagine why they've never been made into films!
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Ebany » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Quite so, they'd make wonderful films!! Actually, she's still writing the Deverry series, I think she's now up to about 14 books, I haven't got round to reading the most recent one, not so much time for reading at the moment - more's the pity!!
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Beantighe » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:55 pm

Wow, that's an imagination in overdrive!!! :shock: 14 books! That'd cost a fortune!! :o
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Sorcha » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:45 pm

I bought Daggerspell in New York. Am now reading "Ravens of Avalon" but will start in Daggerspell when I finished Ravens. After all your stories Ebany, looking forward to reading that!!!

Then I also have "Heir to Sevenwaters" of Juliet Marillier, also a great pagan writer. She is a druid! So I have quite some reading to get me through the dark side of the year!! :P :P :P
Sorcha

Postby solsticedreamer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:19 pm

ohhh look what swmapy bought me this week :D

i went to buy the first book but they only had the second one and this complete set in hard back~and swampy love him bought me the big hard back :D i love it because it looks like a book should!
i have not got very far yet as i have been busy catching up with my studies but tonight i plan to sit curled up on the sofa and have a good read :D
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby sea sprite » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:54 pm

Ooh, I'm very envious of that SD :P My version is a battered paperback :lol: :oops: I hope you enjoy them. Although they're chldren's books they're very gripping, especially 'The Dark is Rising' :D
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby iWitch » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:20 pm

I often re-read Brian Bates "The Way of Wyrd". Its what steered me back to the pagan world when I had previously been disheartened. It gave me new hope and I started down the Anglo-Saxon path because of it. Of course, I have since strayed ... :lol:

The next book that I consider a favourite and read religiously (pardon the pun) every month is Fiona Walker-Craven's "13 Moons: A Journal of a Natural Witch". Lots of valuable information and worthwhile exericses.

For my current path, I try to read "The Keys of Knowledge - Ogham, Coelbren and Pagan Celtic Religion" by Kevin Jones as often as I can to gain further insight. I figure the day I understand the majority of it; I might just be on my way. :lol:

One of my all time favourites, which I recommend to beginners is "Liber Noctis: A Handbook of the Sorcerous Arte" by G. St. M Nottingham. Its not in my line anymore, but it has good basic information on magical practices; just as I recommend "The Art of Conversation with the Genius Loci" by Barry Patterson for those more interested in pagan matters than magical ones.

There are a host of books I keep on hand on everything from Visualisation and Tarot to Mythology and Folklore. Some are very good references, such as "Culpepper's Color Herbal" (I actually take this out walking for identification purposes), or Davies' "Cunning Folk: Popular Magic in English History"

As to pagan fiction:

Stonewylde of course!!!!

Followed by Terry Pratchett's books, and those of Wendy Mewes, Jacqui Wood and Ly De Angeles. I also liked "Whittlewood" by Suzanne Ruthven.

Um, yes, I have a lot of favourites. :oops: But ... um ... I read a lot. Image
iWitch

Postby solsticedreamer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:28 am

iWitch wrote:
Um, yes, I have a lot of favourites. :oops: But ... um ... I read a lot. Image

same here iwitch, if i was locked overnight in a good bookshop i would really enjoy myself :lol:

sea sprite there are plenty of childs books i still read and enjoy :)
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby MPoppins » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:07 am

I do too SD. When I started reading kids books during my teacher training I suddenly realised that as adults we really miss out by ignoring the children's section of the library. There are so many well written, thought provoking books written by children's authors. I am a big fan of Micheal Morpogo at the moment as well as many others. If anyone has missed out on reading books by Alan Garner I would sincerely recommend his books, they are full of magic and folk lore.
Dance as though no-one is watching,
Love as though you've never been hurt,
Work to live as though there is no money,
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby kit » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:22 am

I love the Owl Service by Alan Garner (and guess which person got me to read that?). I also used to read The Snow Spider by Jenny Nimmo to my Year 6 class for several years and they loved it (and so did I of course). Carp, have you read it? It's set in Wales and it's a wonderful story. Anyone else read it?
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:37 pm

No Kit I havent but will see if i can pick it up.

I did see what looked like a great book when my boys were young and i regret not buying it at the time. it was a childrens book about fairies and looked great, i seen the price which was a couple of £ too much for me at the time but wish i hadnt been so tight :lol:
not a clue what it was called and never seen it again to this day, I think i would remember the cover if i seen it, enough to make me look more.
oh well, maybe one day it will turn up.

Written by a teacher in wales but have no other info.
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Previous

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff