Help needed - books on paganism?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby iWitch » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:45 pm

Ebany wrote:Marion Greens Calendar of festivals is unfortunately no longer available, but almost anything written by her is (imho) very good.

Um, I found quite few copies here. :idea:
iWitch

Postby Ebany » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 pm

tried the search there, didn't work, maybe I'm doing it wrong! Marion was in the Netherlands for the PFI conference (I think in 2005) and I asked her about it. She said that the publishers had gone bust and it was not going to be rinted again. So, if you find a copy, snap it up!!
Ebâny
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby iWitch » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:44 am

Ebany wrote:tried the search there, didn't work, maybe I'm doing it wrong!

Perhaps if you only used her surname (rather than inputting Marion, when its Marian :lol: ) and the title Harvest of Festivals, search for both new and used and you get a whole page full of copies, starting at £3.15. :wink: Amazon still have quite a few cheap copies, too.
iWitch

Postby Ebany » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:09 am

Oops, thanx, one of my typical typos!
Ebany

Postby Ebany » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 am

found a copy through ABE books, have ordered it straight away (I left my original copy behind when I took the decision to live alone).
Thank you i-witch for the links, they are sure to come in handy (not good for my wallet, but great for my library!!)
B*B
Ebâny
Ebany

Postby iWitch » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:24 pm

Ebany wrote:Thank you i-witch for the links, they are sure to come in handy (not good for my wallet, but great for my library!!)

Warning: Hide all credit/debit cards when searching for books. Whilst looking for one, you will no doubt find ten that you want. :lol:
iWitch

Postby cornmother » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:44 pm

Hello all. Anyone still looking for a copy of Marian Green's Harvest of Festivals, there's one up for sale on Ebay at the moment.
Joy, health, love and peace
Cornmother
cornmother

Postby Celtia » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:46 pm

For anyone who feels drawn to Celtic paganism / spirituality there is a lovely book by Donald McKinney called "Walking the Mist". There is a meditation CD which goes with it too and Donald's voice is lovely to listen to. Can really recommend them both.

He has also written another book called Celtic Angels which I haven't read yet.
Blessings
Rachel
x
Celtia

Postby iWitch » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:43 am

Celtia wrote:For anyone who feels drawn to Celtic paganism

The best book on celtic paganism I've ever read was:

"The Keys of Knowledge: Ogham, Coelbren and the Pagan Celtic Religion" by Kevin Jones - currently undergoing a re-write.

I would also recommend the following:

"Early Irish Myths and Sagas" by Jeffrey Gantz;
"The Mabinogion" by Sioned Davies;
"The Sacred Isle: Belief and Religion in Pre-Christian Ireland" by Daithi O Hogain; and
"The Táin" translated by Thomas Kinsella.

And I would also recommend a thorough reading of the following website (inclusive of the links): Eblanna Raven (Hint: the first picture is also a link to another website).
Last edited by iWitch on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
iWitch

Postby Lirazel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:00 pm

Ebany mentioned Vivianne Crowley in an earlier post and I have to agree that her writing is excellent

She was a leading figure in the revival of Western Paganism, as well as being a university lecturer, psychologist, therapist, and a High Priestess and teacher of the Wiccan religion.

Her book 'Living as a Pagan in the 21st Century - Phoenix from the Flame' can't be bettered as an introduction to contemporary Paganism in all its many forms.

I note that Amazon have several at the moment starting from £3.75 - very reasonable...
Seek, find, know...
Walk the way which lies between the worlds...
Lirazel

Postby Celtia » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:08 pm

iWitch wrote:The best book on celtic paganism I've ever read was:

"The Keys of Knowledge: Ogham, Coelbren and the Pagan Celtic Religion" by Kevin Jones - currently undergoing a re-write.

I haven't come across Kevin Jones before iWitch, but thanks for posting the links!

For a lovely lyrical account of life as a druid priestess I can also recommend Emma Restel-Orr's books.

There was also mention of Vivianne Crowley. I have a spare copy of Thorsons Principles of Paganism by Vivianne if anybody would like it? It is not a huge book, but does what it says on the tin - sets out the principles of paganism - and it's free!
Blessings
Rachel
x
Celtia

Postby Greenwithin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Hey peeps!
i really like Kate west's books as a gentle kind of entrance to the craft for begginers then they do progress into further depth in her later book sand they are all available on amazon with much more just reviews than i can probably give and the main point of her books as they are british!! I have read hundreds of books on witchcraft paganism shamanism wicca etc and id say about 90% have been american in base with american references and american suppliers listed in the back....does any one have a comprehensive list of british authors? I have nothing against books from America but i do find it irratating when i dont have a focal point for their references.
Greenwithin

Postby iWitch » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Greenwithin wrote:does any one have a comprehensive list of british authors?

Did you check through the list of books I mentioned on the first page? I don't think you'll find a single American author there. :wink:
iWitch

Postby Greenwithin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:51 pm

oh cheers thanks :D
Greenwithin

Postby solsticedreamer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:51 pm

some titles from my bookshelf~also listed here so i would say thats a good recommendation :)
A witch alone~Marian Green
craft of the wild witch~Poppy Palin
assorted Glennie Kindred (Herbal Healers is a great little book), Rae Beth and Kate West books
voices from the circle by caitlin matthews is good as it covers many different paths and so gives a good basic grounding for those new to pagan paths :)
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

PreviousNext

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff