Help needed - books on paganism?

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby Esmee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:18 am

Triumph of the Moon - Ronald Hutton is one of the very best historical breakdowns of Pagan history, starting from pre-history, through Gardner to the modern day. Anything by him is excellent! ISBN: 9780192854490, Click here for Amazon

I also agree with Vivianne Crowley, her Principles of Wicca was the first book I ever read on the subject, it's what brought me home in the first place!

Pete Jennings too, apart from being a great guy to chat with he is a great author too! Pagan Paths is a very good primer for anyone who really doesn't know anything about Paganism or for those who only know about one aspect of it. His new book Heathen Paths is also out now and centres on Anglo-Saxon traditions. Amazon

I think my favourite book however is In the Circle: Crafting the Witches Path by Elen Hawke Amazon It is the one I go back to all the time purely because it is such a delightful read. Elen starts each chapter with an account of her personal experience on the path which I think is great as it shows the reader a normal Pagan experience, then she follows with the whys and wherefores. I cannot recommend it enough! It is unfortunately out of print, however you can find it second hand on Amazon. Her second book, The Sacred Round is also superb.
Esmee

Postby Lirazel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:10 pm

I second Esmee's thoughts on In the Circle: Crafting the Witches Path by Elen Hawke - a really informative book.

There are some beautiful illustrations at the beginning of each chapter, each one a design within a circle, several reflecting a particular Festival/celebration - I used one as inspiration for an embroidered/painted altar cloth for Beltane and was really pleased with the results.
X
Seek, find, know...
Walk the way which lies between the worlds...
Lirazel

help needed - books on paganism

Postby wendy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:31 pm

Glennie Kindred was mentioned and i agree as her books are all the more enjoyable due to her beautiful artistic work. 'Natural Magic' by Marian Green is a good introduction to the art of understanding and working with the natural cycles and energies of the Earth. An introduction to Druidry is very well covered in a book by Cairistiona Worthington, 'A Beginners Guide To Druids'. KIT..... Cairistiona is the partener of Will Worthington, artist for the 'Druid Plant Oracle' by Phillip Carr-Gomm reviewed in the Imbolc edition of Pagan Dawn that you were in! Hope this is of some help. wendy
wendy

Postby Sorcha » Tue May 27, 2008 10:37 am

I would also recommend Marian Green! She is very down to earth and has great knowledge!! And she is a wonderful warm and funny person. Besides her books she also has her own magazine; Quest Magazine. This is a magazine that is published since 1970, first with a stencilling machine at Marian's place. It is a very basic no nonsense sort of magazine. There are a lot of interesting articles in there and agenda's of conferences etc. I prefer this magazine over the Pagan Dawn! If you are more than just interested and would like to do a course; she is also giving correspondence courses, and these are very reasonably priced. 35 pounds include textbook, lesson papers, postage and individual guidance for a year. If you would like to know more about this you can mail me at sorcha67@yahoo.com.

And I recommend the books of Phyllis Curott. Especially "Book of Shadows" and "Witchcrafting"!

Blessings and love,

Sorcha :wink:
Sorcha

Postby sea sprite » Tue May 27, 2008 2:38 pm

I've got 'A Witch Alone' by Marian Green, which I like. I'll have to look up her other stuff. Her magazine sounds good too :)
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Sorcha » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:40 pm

sea sprite wrote:I've got 'A Witch Alone' by Marian Green, which I like. I'll have to look up her other stuff. Her magazine sounds good too :)

If you like to know more about this magazine, you can mail me or pm me Sea Sprite! I have just have had a wonderful weekend workshop on Moon magic with Marian with a small private group! Have heaps of notes to work out now,and lots of homework! She has so much knowledge!!! Another book I can recommend is "The Gentle Arts of Natural Magic" of if you are a bit more advanced " A Modern Magician's handbook" She does not only explain the "how to" but also the "why" things are done in a certain way. Which is more than most books do. She also has tapes/cd's with guided meditations and pathworkings. She is hypnotherapist so these pathworkings really work, even if you do not have much experience!

Blessings and love,

Sorcha :wink:
Sorcha

Previous

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff