Stone Circle

Discussions about festivals

Moderator: mrb

Postby iWitch » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:07 pm

Heya Hazelbrook,

I was only there for two days myself and only on the mainland. I have visited both megalithic circles, Skara Brae and the Tomb of the Eagles. I am going back later this year to see the archaeology of the Orkney and Shetland Isles. I hope to spend a bit more time in future in both areas and in the Outer Hebrides - there is just so much to see.

The highlight for me was handling the tools and other items from the display cabinets at the Tomb of the Eagles. I am so glad I persuaded our guide to take us there (it was raining so the beach was out, much to the disappointment of the antipodeans on our tour). Still, they were all glad to see the tomb.

I would have loved to have spent enough time to undertake a ritual, though I think I would prefer to do so at Calanais, on the Isle of Lewis. Something about the aspect it has is amazing.

Oh, and for anyone who is interested, the tour I am doing later in the year is run by Megalithic Tours. Will let you all know how it goes.

Of course, if anyone would like to share accommodation and car hire costs, I would love to spend a couple of weeks in the Orkney or in the Outer Hebrides. *hint, hint* :wink: :lol:
iWitch

Postby Lirazel » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:22 am

Beautiful stone circle photography folks, I especially liked the one from Firecracker of the stone circle near Kendal - I must remember to take a look when I next visit the Lakes.

It’s interesting how stone circles seem to attract and fascinate us. I find the most interesting ones to be the ‘difficult to get to’ variety, only found after a long walk, usually uphill, when you have only a vague idea of their location from a map...
These circles seem to have a really lovely energy. Do you think this might be because they are rarely used by groups and still retain the old energies? Just speculating here.

The ones with least appeal for me are the Stonehenge variety, which often seem to suffer misuse and abuse by some in the Pagan community who burn candles on the stones and leave their debris behind as a mark that they were there! The bits and pieces left around in the form of ill thought out offerings are often the worst. For me, the energies in these places seem to be all over the place, it’s hard to work to keep it together. I haven’t ever performed a ritual in a stone circle – I feel somehow that they weren’t built for me or what I do. But I find time taken to meditate there rewarding and spiritually enriching.

One of my favourites is above the famous waterfall at Pystill Rhaeadr, it took me three attempts to find the circle, the walk to it is over very boggy, rough ground, best to look for it during a dry summer (remember them?). The stones themselves are small and insignificant in comparison to others. They are also difficult to pick out when the bracken is high. The place has a very special feel, looking as it does down the valley to the east and the rising sun. I’ll try to post a photograph – but I’m not very good with technology so bear with me if it’s wrong!

What’s your favourite Stone Circle and why?
Seek, find, know...
Walk the way which lies between the worlds...
Lirazel

Postby Hazelbrook » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:51 am

removed by hazelbrook
Last edited by Hazelbrook on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hazelbrook

Postby Beantighe » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:38 am

Oh Wow!! And you built that? It looks as if it's been there for thousands of years! Did you have to get permission to put it there? Awesome!

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Greenwithin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:51 pm

wow all these pictures are amazing! Ive been to the stonecircle at Keswick its called castle rigg i think I can find a link to the tourist info piccies just give me a mo ill go lookie
Greenwithin

Postby Greenwithin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:53 pm

ok here we go some info and it also tells you a little about some of the surrounding circles in the area

http://www.iknow-lakedistrict.co.uk/tourist_information/north_lakes/keswick_east/stone_circles.htm
Greenwithin

Postby iWitch » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:09 am

Here are some pics I took back in 2004.

The Calanais Cairn:

The Calanais Avenue:

Ring o'Brodgar:
Last edited by iWitch on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iWitch

Postby Hazelbrook » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 am

removed by hazelbrook
Last edited by Hazelbrook on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hazelbrook

Postby Beantighe » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:45 am

Oh wow, that is so fantastic! I'm sure it's just like it was when they erected stone circles thousands of years ago. I'd adore to be able to see it, but sadly it's just too far away for me. I'm in awe at the strength and effort it must have taken to do it. Speechless with admiration!

Love Beantighe
Beantighe

Postby Hazelbrook » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:53 pm

Beantighe, It is a shame you are too far away.
Last edited by Hazelbrook on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hazelbrook

Postby Beantighe » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:57 pm

It doesn't half make you admire and appreciate the effort it must have taken the Bronze Age people to make theirs, doesn't it? I'm sure they must have had a ceremony too to celebrate the placing of each stone when they built their circles. It must also have given you and your friends a tremendous sense of continuity and of time having come full circle, as it were, when you're building your own circle, like a line connecting you all the way back to the ancestors. Truly awesome!

Love Beantighe
Beantighe

Postby Taz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:51 am

:D
Wow, well done for doing that Hazelbrook. This was something I have often said to my (long suffering, non Pagan!) other half that I'd like to do if ever we were in a position to have a bit of land........ahh dreams! It sounds fantastic - hope all goes well for the rest of the stones.
BB
Sarah
Taz

Postby Greenwithin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:15 pm

I love a lot of these places castle rigg in particular but the one I love most is close to my heart and is a simple place that belongs to my family..just a few acres of young woodland that we maintian and conserve spend weekends and festivals at and have some darn good parties at Samhain :D the best thing about it is that we can be completly at peace there and perform rituals without fear. My parents had a beautiful Handfasting ceromony last year there to celebrate 30 years of marriage mostly to show their dedication to each other so a pagan wedding ceremony seemed apt seen as it was presumed when they were younger that they had to have a traditional wedding anyway here is a pic of them on the day in our woodland

Greenwithin

Postby Hazelbrook » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Hey Greenwithin that is a great picture of your parents. How wonderful to have such a place of your own.
Last edited by Hazelbrook on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hazelbrook

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:19 pm

What a great picture and in your own wood too, I would love a wood your so lucky, but surrounded by mountains - coal tips and sheep is not all bad :lol:

I always wondered about the folk who got the stone from Wales over to make Stone Henge ..... you spoilt it now i know who built it :lol: :P
Carprimulgidae

PreviousNext

Return to Festivals and Pagan Stuff