Stonewylde Recipe's

Discussions about the Stonewylde Series of books

Moderator: mrb

Stonewylde Recipe's

Postby Pixiedust » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:48 pm

What do you think the food would be like in Stonewylde? I would love to hear some recipe ideas. What do they eat at the festivals? Whats is those Saffron cakes? I thought this might be a good topic, what do you think? :?: :?
Looking for the bright in the dark. xxx

http://faerienuff.blogspot.com/
Pixiedust

Postby Firecracker » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:30 am

Hmmm, I am thinking that whatever is in those saffron cakes is something that could be bought in Amsterdam where Kit is this weekend lol :lol:
Firecracker

Postby Sujee » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:36 am

LOL :lol:

Let's hope Kit and Mr B don't eat in any odd cafe's then..... hee hee
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby sea sprite » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Ooh, I like a bit of saffron cake, being a Cornish lass! Sadly the ones I've eaten have never had the same effect as the 'special' Stonewylde ones! :lol:
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Leanne » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:38 am

I googled and found this recipe for saffron cakes on the following website. I think the stonewylde recipe probably had a few added ingredients though! :lol:

from... http://www.greenchronicle.com/connies_c ... n_cake.htm

This is also a well known delicacy in Cornwall. Saffron is usually sold in drachms (one eighth of an ounce) and 1/2 drachms (one sixteenth of an ounce) and is very expensive, hence the old Cornish saying "as dear as saffron". It is believed that the Phoenicians brought saffron over with them when they came to trade for tin. As far as I know Cornwall is one of the only places where saffron is used in this way.

Ingredients

1lb plain flour
6oz butter, margarine or lard
6oz sugar
6oz currants, sultanas
1 1/2 oz of mixed, diced, candied peel (lemon or orange)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1oz yeast or 1 sachet of dried yeast
1 drachm saffron
warm milk and water to mix

Method

Overnight put saffron to infuse by snipping the strands and cover with half a cup of boiling water and a small pinch of salt. Cover with a saucer. Put yeast into cup with a teaspoon of sugar and add half a cup of warm milk and water - not too hot but more than tepid so as not to kill the yeast. Rub fat into the flour then add sugar and mix together. When the yeast has risen in the cup, make a pit in the centre of the flour and sugar mix and pour in the yeast, covering with a sprinkle of flour (this keeps the temperature constant). When this cracks and the yeast sponges through, warm the previously steeped saffron mixture a little and add together with fruit and peel and start combining all the ingredients together adding extra liquid as you go until the whole thing makes a soft dough without being too sticky. Cover this with a clean tea-towel and leave in a warm (not too hot) place to rise. This takes between 30-45 minutes. Put into greased loaf tins, cover and leave to rise again until the mixture is level with the top of the tin. Bake in a moderate oven (180 degrees centigrade) for 3/4 - 1 hour. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

I hope you will enjoy making this old Cornish favourite.
Leanne

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks for the recipe I will try that & let you know how it turns out

I used to often make Welsh Cakes the old way handed down from my gran, still got the bake stone (must be 150 years old if it's a day) get that the right temp and the rest is plain sailing.

If a little herb is added you cant eat more than two without falling asleep :wink: I stick to the original recipe now :lol: :lol:

The best thing is she never measured anything it was all done by eye & feel, she probably couldnt afford a scales :oops: but was the best cook I ever knew except for my mum :lol:
Carprimulgidae

Postby Pixiedust » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks Leanne, will love to have a go at that. When I've made it I'll put a pic on my blog. What herbs that then carp???? :lol:

Sometimes the best cooking is when all the ingredients are chucked together my mum never weighs and measures anything. Although she does burn a bit. :lol:

BB Pixiedust. xx
Looking for the bright in the dark. xxx

http://faerienuff.blogspot.com/
Pixiedust

Postby solsticedreamer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:23 pm

think i must had a bash at that~without the added herbs me thinks :wink:

i have to say i am from the school of chuck it in a bowl and mix and cook...seems to work okay!
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Ebany » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Being originally from Cornwall, I too grew up regularly eating saffron cake - my mum brought me one back from St Ives when I was in England this year to celebrate New Year with the family.
Mind you - I never heard of it having any other properties apart from being very tasty till I read Stonewylde.....
I suppose I could always try to add a little "herb" to the recipe - after all, I do live in the Netherlands...... Lets wait till we find out what Kit + Mr b have been up to over here! :lol:
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Return to Stonewylde Series