Stonewylde Soundtrack

Discussions about the Stonewylde Series of books

Moderator: mrb

Postby Carprimulgidae » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:44 pm

[quote="Beantighe"]Sea Sprite, Wendy Rule is a Pagan Australian singer-songwriter with a wonderful,powerful voice. I absolutely love her song 'Deity'. I've just googled her name, and it took me straight to her website, with loads of samples of her songs - you can get all her CDs on CDBaby - I'm soooo tempted!!!

Beantighe, I like your choice. Have a listen to this girl from down under, I think she is great but another unheard of this side of the earth. There is a video of Long live the girls and the little girls are all dressed as fairies, if i can find the link i will add it later. In the meantime have a listen, if she is not playing long live the girls you will have to select it.

http://www.myspace.com/sarastorermusic
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Carprimulgidae » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:49 pm

here is the link to that song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Z8nJydjQE

I have a feeling she could well be Hall folk, just as well :!: with here in the village I would never get any work done, Help Ebany I need your support :lol:

Great singer, so much talent out there, makes me feel quiet old now :cry:

Carprimulgidae

Postby Carprimulgidae » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:56 pm

As it's Friday night here is a special for Beantighe & Sea Sprite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4gN_-nfQA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdU2X_d5vAg

If Maddy dont get your feet going your dead :lol:

Them were the days eh Beantighe :wink: for you young uns out there you missed out on the best music years ever :P

Carprimulgidae

Postby segundus » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:16 pm

Time of the Season by the Zombies (although I do like this version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yGIRhDnsxU) - mainly because it references the seasons. Then you have the lyric "whose your daddy"? Probably Magus. ("Is he rich like me?").

Could be the theme of the Hallfolk :)

LOL!

M.
Editor, The Friends of English Magic
http://www.foem.org.uk
Personal ramblings:
http://www.drake.org.uk
segundus

Postby Beantighe » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:32 am

Oh, we're being well spoilt with all these lovely nostalgic treats! So true, Carp - those were the days of good music! :D And the thing is, good folk music never dates, and I have always loved it because it is folk music, ie music of the people, and not some mass-produced rubbish made solely for the purpose of making money. Ugh!

Personally, I think Stonewylde deserves a brand new theme song of its own. When you think of how all the James Bond themes went storming up the charts, and of how many other classic songs started out as movie themes, it would be the best ever publicity for Stonewylde. I vote for Show of Hands to write and sing it! (Steve Knightley and Phil Beer) Oh - and by the way, they originate from Stonewylde country, so they'd be perfect!

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Sujee » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Well, you should have been in my living room a minute ago! All Around My Hat is one of my all time favourites and I was singing along as well... probably best you weren't here :lol: :lol:

Maddy Prior is coming to the local theatre soon so am going to bag tickets for that if I am not too late. Such a feel good song, such a great band! :D
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:41 pm

your right, folk music dont seem to date or maybe it is just us that dont date/age. I have always liked folk and remember the days of folk clubs, everyone i knew did it for free and the love of singing or would get a free drink........ arrr the good old days :roll:

A Stonewylde theme song....... a hard one to think of with so much talent out there :idea:
we will have to work on that one :roll: it may take a while :wink:

Carprimulgidae

Postby Beantighe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:10 pm

There was a great folk club that I used to go to in the early 70s. It was at the Shave Cross Inn in the Marshwood Vale, right in the middle of Stonewylde country, and not too far from Bridport and Lyme Regis.

The folk club was held on Tuesdays, if I remember rightly, in the old skittle alley at the back. It had cob walls and loads of old beams, and there were cobwebs everywhere. It was very atmospheric, with old barrels for tables, and candles in bottles. I used to take my guitar along every week, to get in free!

The resident group was called Teague's Grunt and Whistle, and they used to have some well-known names there sometimes, like the Yetties (from Yetminster, in Dorset) and Cyril Tawney, and there was an old Irish fella who was a wizard on the tin whistle (gods, I'm hopeless at names nowadays - it's just on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember) and a South African guy, and there were always plenty of volunteers from the floor, including me! It was during the 3-day week, with all the power cuts, and the lights often went out, and they had to hand-pump the beer, and the only light was candlelight! Ah, those were the days! We were so free then, no blasted rules and regulations, and oh! how we laughed and enjoyed ourselves - they were some of the best times of my life, and I was only about 21.......................ah, memories, memories!

Love Beantighe
Beantighe

Postby Beantighe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:14 pm

It's just come to me - Paki Byrne was the name of the old Irish tin-whistle player.

Oh, and the pub had a dog - an Irish Water Spaniel called Boggy! He was like a cross between a large poodle and a spaniel - had a poodle's curly coat and long, thin tail, but the rest of him was like a spaniel, and he was chocolate brown in colour - a lovely friendly dog! I've never seen one since.
Beantighe

Postby Carprimulgidae » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:46 pm

it didnt take you long to remember the name, it usually comes to me when i'm in bed and forgot again by the time i come down :lol:

70's were good times, i remember the 3 day week too, it was not all doom & gloom we loved it, being the only time you had off unless it was holidays.
No stupid H&S rules then, how did we all survive eh, by common sense thats how. (or maybe just luck :lol: )

you must have been brave to get up and play your strings, i am shy :oops:

these young uns dont know what they missed do they :)

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sujee » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm

My local pub used to be owned by real music lovers. We had live bands from Rock to World to folk to Jazz every weekend, no fruit machines and NO telly! Once a month was open mike night on a Sunday for folk musicians and they used to come from as far as Cornwall to play, that is where I heard The morrigan play.

We used to celebrate St George's Day properly with English Folk and Food and I felt that I could go in there as a woman on her own and not get pestered. Ah, those were the good days...

When the 3 day week was on I was about 7 but I remember the Dockers going on strike (I lived in Bristol) and the TV going off whilst I was watching Dr Who...!

Just bought Best of Steeleye Span and Kate Bush's The Sensual World - am drowning in good sounds now!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Beantighe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:46 pm

Oh, it really makes me feel like a Golden Oldie looking back at what now seem to be the good old days, when petrol was about 7s 6d a GALLON!!! :shock: and our rent was about £6 7s 6d a week (£6.37 1/2p), and we used to put 30 bob (£1.50) a week in the leccy meter! Mind you, my ex hubby's wages at the time were just £15 a week, and I was on £10, so I suppose that made us quite well off in real terms then. That would have been about 1970. The 3 day week was in 1973, when we had the first oil crisis, and petrol hit 50p a gallon - the papers were full of headlines that it might hit £1 a gallon - that's GALLONS, not litres!

Yup, I think them WAS the good old days! :wink:

Love Beantighe
Beantighe

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 pm

:lol: yep the good old days :lol:

we started work at 13 years old down the pit 7 days a week, couldnt afford food so we only eat once a week, no shoes in them day we were hard :lol: sorry i was just thinking of the Monty Python scetch :lol:

Beantighe, i can remember when the price of petrol went up and was about 34 pence a gallon so that was around 1970'ish to think back is a bit scarry eh. one of my friends at the time got married and went to spain on holiday, we all thought it was the other end of the world and to go shopping in france would have been a huge trip, now most of us can do that in a day, not my sort of day but there we are :lol:

Come on keep reminising I love it :wink:

Carprimulgidae

Postby Beantighe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Hmm............I'll have to have a think on that one..................not easy when hubby's got Liverpool on the box, with the common tater blethering away! :evil: His name's Murphy, by the way.........Spud Murphy! :twisted:

Love Beantighe - :roll:
Beantighe

Postby Ebany » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Ah!!! Now all sorts of memories are now kicking in!! I've always been into folk music, still am. Grew up in rural Worcestershire, lots of folk clubs around. You were often asked at the door if you wanted to do a floor spot (that's sing a couple of songs for those of you who don't know the system), a question which I inevitably said yes to! Didn't even have to worry about my guitar keeping in tune as I sing unnaccompanied - nice and easy!! 8)
My local folk club was the Cherry Trees in Alcester, quite big, very popular, very good guest artists and excellent residents. The resident band who played at our ceilidh nights were a folk rock outfit called Bulldog. They also had connections with the local bike club - Bulldag MC - during one of their gigs, one of the lads rode his 750 Triumph right into the room to loud applause!!!! :lol: I must add that this was all organised by the guy running the club, Bob, a wonderful nutter, no 2 evenings ever the same!!!
Yes, those were the days!!!
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

PreviousNext

Return to Stonewylde Series