What would your Stonewylde totem be?

Discussions about the Stonewylde Series of books

Moderator: mrb

What would your Stonewylde totem be?

Postby sea sprite » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:56 am

I've been meaning to post this for AGES and am finally getting round to it. When someone reaches adulthood at Stonewylde they receive a silver necklet, with a symbol representing the festival nearest their birthday on one side and an animal on the other.

The festival symbols are:

Winter Solstice-mistletoe
Imbolc-crescent moon
Spring Equinox-hare
Beltane-Green Man
Summer Solstice-oak leaf
Lammas-head of barley
Autumn Equinox-acorn
Samhain-crow

As my birthday is July 2nd, I would have the oak leaf on one side. After much deliberating, I would have a tawny owl on the other side. I love red deer stags and foxes too, but there is just something about tawny owls that I love :) Any budding silversmiths out there willing to have a go at making one? :lol: :wink:

What would your choice be?
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Sujee » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Ooh, good one Sea Sprite!

My birthday is 09 January so I am a Winter Solstice baby by only 5 days difference!

So my Totem would be Mistletoe on one side and on the other.....hmmmm....tough one that. I love all animals (with the exception of spiders - sorry) but I have an affinity with cats, but also admire crows, hares and horses. :?

At this time I would say it would be a wildcat on the reverse. :)

And yes, any silversmiths fancy a challenge for very little money(but we will sing your praises to the heavens!) come on down! :D
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Moongoddess » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:03 pm

My Birthday is 29th January - so I'd be Imbolc....that would be the crescent Moon - which would match my midnight blue velvet cloak, with crescent moon on the back :lol:
Mmmm what to chose for the otherside - so many beautiful animals. Love Wolves, I think the sound of a howling wolf, is so beautiful and haunting; and the are such beautiful creatures....yes definately a wolf for me :lol:
Moongoddess

Postby Carprimulgidae » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 pm

What a great idea, if Kit & MrB read this I hope they know someone who could turn their hand to making a few, maybe a pole for who would buy them? leave it to you but I would have two.

:P
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Beantighe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 pm

Well I share my birthday with Sea Sprite, 2nd July, so I'd have the oak-leaf on one side. I must admit, I love owls too, but the owl is already taken, so I think I'd have a hawk, as I love all birds of prey, I just think they're so majestic and powerful. I like the wren, too, because of its close association with the oak and Druids. So many favourites to choose from, I've got a job to make up my mind!

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

totems

Postby Old Crow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:55 am

Hi
This is my first post! I'm Lammas-born, so barley for me, and Crow.... (of course - see my username, lol)

I think it's a fabulous idea, to have them made up - I'd buy!

I was at my local pagan camp last weekend, and there were 2 of us there with the t-shirts :D

Many blessings to you all
Old Crow
Old Crow

Postby Midori » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:37 am

Imbolc's Crscent moon for me too (feb 4) with a Barn Owl on the other side (My Druidic Totem)

cheers, Midori
Witches ride brooms because Nature abhors a vacuum!
Midori

Postby Queen OF Swords » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:25 pm

I would have an oak leaf with a hare I reckon :D

Fabby idea :wink:
Queen OF Swords

Re: totems

Postby Carprimulgidae » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Old Crow wrote:Hi
This is my first post! I'm Lammas-born, so barley for me, and Crow.... (of course - see my username, lol)

I think it's a fabulous idea, to have them made up - I'd buy!

I was at my local pagan camp last weekend, and there were 2 of us there with the t-shirts :D

Many blessings to you all

Welcome Old Crow, great to see the T-shirts are getting around and noticed. I still havent seen one being worn in Tesco's but if anyone sees me just give me a poke :lol:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Pixiedust » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:10 am

I'm just in Lammas I believe Sept 9th birthday. So I'm a head of barley and for me a Barn Owl I think.
Looking for the bright in the dark. xxx

http://faerienuff.blogspot.com/
Pixiedust

Postby Leanne » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:51 am

my birthday is 22 sep, sometimes the autumn equinox itself! that makes me an acorn-- and no jokes about being nutty please! :lol: (incidentally my sons birthday was yesterday- Aug 1st- Lughnasadh, and my daughter was born on the spring equinox! I do like sabbats/ fstivals!! etc):lol:

totem animal- mylife long passion has been cats Ive always been drawn to them, pretty much my first word was cat according to mum! so maybe that or my other two- hare and magpie. Which one do you think for me? :)
Leanne

Postby Sorcha » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:02 pm

My birthday is April 6th so my Stonewylde totem would be a Hare. On the other side I would have a wolf paw or wolf since the wolf has been my totem for 15 years.

Love,

Sorcha :wink:
Sorcha

First things first

Postby mrb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Carprimulgidae wrote:What a great idea, if Kit & MrB read this I hope they know someone who could turn their hand to making a few, maybe a pole for who would buy them? leave it to you but I would have two.

:P

It has crossed our minds! We think its a great idea ... but focusing on the main project in hand at the moment ... :wink:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com
and the Stonewylde Village Store at www.stonewyldestore.com

Signup to the Newletter to keep in touch with progress on the Stonewylde Series. Signup at: http://www.stonewylde.com/subscribe.htm
mrb

Postby kit » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:10 pm

I just LOVE this topic!! The funny thing is that when I was writing the books, I actually thought to myself "If Stonewylde became big, maybe people would want Stonewylde totems themselves". And when I met Mr B (after I'd finished writing) we were discussing the whole merchandising issue - as in me not wanting to be all commercial and jump on any merchandising bandwagon like horrid pencil cases and duvet covers etc etc - and I said one of the few things I'd be happy to do was have totem necklets made.

However, because of the nature of people choosing their own totem, each one would have to be bespoke. Tricky one - although I did meet a silversmith at one of my booksignings who said he'd love to make some Stonewylde stuff. Will have to look into it at some point. What I don't want of course is some nasty tacky stuff exploiting Stonewylde fans, who may buy things out of loyalty but then be disappointed with the quality. That's why I was so careful to get good quality T shirts and not the cheapest ones available.

And NO! Mr B - at no point ever will there be little plastic Magus, Yul and Sylvie figures however much you nag me!

My birthday's September 17th so I'd be the acorn on one side, and although I'm tempted by a barn owl, bat, crow and cat, my totem animal would be the hare of course. And incidentally, at Stonewylde the totem doesn't have to be an animal - it can be anything linked to nature such as a lightning flash, a flower or tree, a toadstool or in Yul's case, a Green Man. It's meant to be whatever you feel you have a special affinity with. Hope this gives you all scope for thought!
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Good to have you back!

Postby cornmother » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Wow! Such a lot of posts in one day - and it's good to have you back in our midst.

I'm replying to this one, rather than the 'When's your Birthday' one on the Village Green forum, although it's all the same subject, to ask if you can do a bit of gentle nagging and see if MrB (who we know is totally delicious and ever so hard working!!!) can work some of his IT wizardry and have an automatic pop-up that will say Today's Birthdays are (or whatever, as far as wording is concerned). So many Stonewylders have put their birthday dates on these two forums, that it's a job to catch up with them, without going through all the posts again.

Then we'll have a chance to send our special wishes to special people (and hey, we might even Happy Birthday you, too!

(I'm willing to go through all the posts and make up a list, if necessary - though it would be good to have a poll-style form that we could add our birthdays to.)

How's about it, MrB?
Oh, Pleeeease?

:)
CM
Joy, Health, Love and Peace
cornmother

Next

Return to Stonewylde Series