What would your Stonewylde totem be?

Discussions about the Stonewylde Series of books

Moderator: mrb

Postby kit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:48 pm

When they arrived this morning my reaction was like Cornmother's - I was speechless. I tried to write to Claire (Roses) to tell her what I thought, as I know she was desperate to hear my reaction. It was really hard because I just couldn't express how completely bowled over I was by both pieces. I knew that she'd been making the pendant because we'd discussed this. The whole Stonewylde merchandising issue is a potentially thorny one and we both knew that this initial prototype had to be made and discussed. But the Stonewylde Goddess brooch was a complete surprise!

What the photos don't show is the feel of the things. They are wonderful. The pendant is so thick and heavy - a silver nugget of magic. I'm wearing it now over a black jumper and I can't stop touching it. It's almost like a talisman. I really am awestruck at her talent and gift.

When Yule is over and we get back to something like normal, Roses and I will be discussing how to best move forward on this. I know she's really up for being the official Stonewylde jeweller and I feel (as I told her) honoured that she is happy to use her skills, artistry and talent on creating Stonewylde pieces. We need to get it right, because she has a business to run and a living to earn and her work is very labour intensive. She also of course has many other things on the go!

But if anyone is considering buying a Stonewylde piece from her in the future when official production begins, I can promise you that the real thing is absolutely beautiful and you will not be disappointed! Thank you Roses - you know how I feel about this!
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Beantighe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Roses, I'm having a job to find words to adequately describe these unique works of art! They're completely, superlatively unique and stunning, and I WANT ONE!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Please please please can I be first in the queue? Can I can I can I can I can I can I? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[smilie=msn_highfive.gif] [smilie=msn_highfive.gif] [smilie=msn_highfive.gif] [smilie=msn_highfive.gif] [smilie=msn_highfive.gif]
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby wherethewildrosesgrow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:40 pm

oh everyone thank you so much for your lovely words - I put my heart and soul into everything I make, and posting pictures makes me feel quite vulnerable :roll: I really appreciate all your feedback, and I can't wait to take this all further :P BE PATIENT I KNOW!!
I think I said before that I thought it only right that I should make the first one for Kit, and although it was a challenge to make - I just loved doing it - it didn't start off as it finished :shock: - it sort of took over and demanded to be made as a miniature landscape - so I went with it, and then the Goddess kept pestering me too :wink:
The medium I work in - fine silver which is 99% pure and mainly reclaimed from the film/photograhic industry comes in the form of a tiny lump of clay which is really heavy for it's size (20g is about 1/4" x 1/2" ! )- tiny particles of pure silver mixed with an organic binder and a tiny amount of water = when I made my first leaf using it, I was simply bowled over -( you subject it to the right temperature and it turns into a pure silver leaf/flower/pendant )- I felt like a magician !
I'm passionate about my work, I'm passionate about (call them what you will) totems/symbols/talismans - I think I'm right in saying that they have existed (and still do) in every culture since humans began to draw/write/sculpt, and last but by no means least (no by no means least)I'm passionate about Stonewylde.

My "real" life is really quite difficult, challenging and at times downright c**p, - my work is my refuge and my sanity.
I feel privileged and honoured to be a part of this lovely place and will always be unbelievably grateful to Kit for the magic she has brought to so many lives - not least mine [smilie=msn_cry.gif] [smilie=msn_flower.gif]
where the willow weeps tears of diamond
and the oak bleeds pearls of dew
I have often dreamed there....
have you?

http://wherethewildrosesgrow.co.uk
wherethewildrosesgrow

Postby Moongoddess » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:25 pm

OMG [smilie=msn_ooooh.gif] [smilie=msn_ooooh.gif] They are exquisite......you are SO talented. Like everyone else I'm speechless. I would be.......no, make that WILL BE so proud to wear one of your pendants [smilie=msn_laugh.gif]
Moongoddess

Postby Carprimulgidae » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:49 pm

wherethewildrosesgrow
I think Kit has helped more than she will ever know for quite a few of us :wink:

Oh this Stonewylde of ours is great, hall folk or villager.
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sorcha » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:54 pm

Rosey they are magical, beautifull, stunning, can't find enough words to express how I feel about this!!!! I would be so honoured and proud to wear your pendant!! :P :P :P :P Can't wait to order it with you, but hope your life sorts itself out as well very soon!! I am so sorry you are feeling c**p!!! For now lots of love and lots of hugs, sending lots of positive thoughts your way :P :P :P :P :P !!!!!!!!

Kiss!

Sorcha :wink:
Sorcha

Postby Sujee » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:35 pm

Rose, you have just proved to me that Beauty really can come from adversity.

The totem is breath-catching and to use a well worn phrase here, I too was dumbstruck when I saw the pictures. I would be so proud to wear a piece like that, that I would never want to take it off.

The quality of the work and the fact that it is so tactile makes it a piece worth treasuring. It looks weighty in the pictures so I can only imagine (for now) how it will feel against my skin.

The Goddess is stunning - so finely worked that you are a credit to your Craft. Unfortunately (not), I would want one of those as well, so I shall start saving now......

Again, thank you for undertaking this task, you must have been so nervous of Kit's reaction - and ours!

BIG KISSES TO YOU!! XXX
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Beantighe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 pm

Rosey, there was a part of what you said that leapt out at me, because it was just like Kit said, when she was writing the books, that the story just poured out of her, fully formed. And you said the same thing happened to you, when you were making Kit's pendant. It just shows just how special and magical these pendants are, if they can take on a life and a mind of their own under your hands as you're making them. Ooh, it sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it! It's like you're being used as a channel to bring these lovely forms through from the 'other' plane where the real Stonewylde exists, through to our world - magical pieces of fairy silver - in fact, the very essence of Sylvie, like holding a piece of solidified Moonbeam in your hand.........................

Phew, I think I'd better lie down in a darkened room after coming up with all that! :wink:
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Sujee » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Can you explain to me, when you put the fine silver on the leaf and cook it, is the leaf still inside the silver as the organic matter burns off or do you coat one side only and the leaf also burns away in the heating?

Do you end up with an imprint of the original leaf or is it locked inside the magic silver?
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby wherethewildrosesgrow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:37 am

Sujee wrote:Can you explain to me, when you put the fine silver on the leaf and cook it, is the leaf still inside the silver as the organic matter burns off or do you coat one side only and the leaf also burns away in the heating?

Do you end up with an imprint of the original leaf or is it locked inside the magic silver?

When I make leaves, I mix the clay with water to make a thick paste - think thick double cream :wink: and then paint it layer by layer onto the side of the leaf where the veins are most prominent - it usually takes about 15 - 20 layers to reach a stable thickness - the leaf burns away to leave a perfect imprint of itself in the silver - before finishing and polishing the metal and after firing the silver is slightly porous, so I like to think that the "essence" of the plant is contained in the silver, as well as its unique imprint.
I recently made an acorn for my sister's birthday - I made it in two parts the cap and the nut (which was hollow) she has just lost her beloved dog (her familiar) very suddenly and wanted a permanent symbol of her, so before firing the two parts together, I incorporated some of her dog's fur inside the acorn - so the "essence" of her little dog is with her all the time :) ...

I could ramble on for hours about all this :wink: :roll:

and here's some blurb about silver:-

Silver is told to bring advantage to it's wearer throughout life. It is used to conjure patience and perseverance to the wearer, and it used extensively with gemstones due to the fact that the metal attracts and retains the qualities emitted by the stones.

It is known to enhance the powers of the moon, particularly during the full and new moons. Throughout the world it is identified with the lunar manifestations of the Great Mother, the eternal goddess. As the metal is reflective, as the moon reflects the light of the sun, so does silver reflect negativity from the wearer. Tiny silver globes, or any silver jewelry can be worn for magical security; used to provide protection again evil intent, reflecting spells of harm back to the sender.

Silver can also be used to enhance your psychic abilities, as it is a psychic-influencing metal. When worn it stimulates your psychic awareness but simultaneously lulls the conscious, so as not to overwhelm. Donning silver jewelry before sleep is another method of producing psychic dreams. If the piece is set with moonstone or other gemstone with psychic properties the effects will be more powerful."

And here's a really interesting link....

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/kollerstrom_moon.html

blessings to you all and love xxxx
where the willow weeps tears of diamond
and the oak bleeds pearls of dew
I have often dreamed there....
have you?

http://wherethewildrosesgrow.co.uk
wherethewildrosesgrow

Postby Felicity » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:19 am

Where have I been to miss these? They are stunning! Want that one!!!
Are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze at them because we are human? And do the stars gaze back - now that's a question!
Felicity

Previous

Return to Stonewylde Series