A question, if I may...

Discussions about the Stonewylde Series of books

Moderator: mrb

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:50 pm

still here, if you get it all just delete what you dont want to post
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Ebany » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:51 pm

I'll mail it to you, that way it's a bit clearer - took me a while to figure it out too!!
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby kit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:56 am

"Where the place?" "Upon the heath!" "There to meet with Macbeth." "I come, Greymalkin!" "Paddock calls."

It's a grey she-cat and Grimalkin was the common term for a witch's cat-familiar. Paddock is the name for a witch's toad-familiar apparently. Look at Grimalkin on Wiki - interesting. I've always loved the name Grimalkin and one day when I get a Blue Burmese (currently have Chocolate and Bombay which is commonly known as Black!) I fully intend to call her Grimalkin because Blues are actually a beautiful shade of grey in reality!

This is a very interesting post, Greymalkin. You're all kind of right really. Whilst modern paganism isn't (or certainly shouldn't be) homophobic, in a community that's all about fertility and fecundity, homosexuality could be viewed as "unnatural" and unproductive. As you say, crones are no longer productive in the child-bearing sense, and the Wise Woman and shaman should be celibate as part of their focus on higher things! Look where Magus' obsession leads him! Whoops - no spoilers here for Greymalkin! However the view could be that crones have done their bit, and if like Mother Heggy they never gave birth, they're still productive in the magical sense.

Sujee is absolutely right in that I believed I was writing for a teenage market (how very wrong can you be????) and at the time there was a great deal of hoo-ha about this very issue. I was also a school teacher working with teenagers. One has to be very careful in what one is seen to be advocating, whatever one's personal views. The sexual references in Stonewylde are not explicit really (although I suppose having a rape scene in the opening chapter could be seen as just a little provocative!) and homosexuality just didn't really seem relevant at Stonewylde. It's a pretty macho culture there and can you imagine Magus' contempt for a gay person? Look at his attitude towards Clip and his celibacy. If anyone was gay they'd be very quiet about it, I imagine.

Anyway - when Mr B pointed out this post to me the other evening, it got me thinking and I realised that actually there is a gay character in the first three books. This character isn't overtly gay and it was only in my own mind that I acknowledged this homosexuality. I certainly never made it explicit, and not just because I was being careful about my intended readership, but mostly because the homosexuality wasn't actually relevant to the plot. It was just something that was there as part of the character. I think I may have said (and I certainly have during the talks I give) that my characters sprung fully formed into Stonewylde without any gestation on my part. I didn't really create them or plan them. They just appeared at the right time all shimmering with vitality and completely real and whole to me.

So, dear Stonewylders - here's the challenge! Which character is gay? Any ideas - and what makes you think that? I would also say that there is another homosexual character who appears briefly in the first trilogy and will be playing a larger part in books 4 & 5, but again the gayness is more just part of their character and personality than a plot device. Which is how being gay is - not necessarily a big deal unless you make it so. If I'd deliberately contrived a "token gay" that would, I feel, have been slightly insulting. One of my sons who's very hot on such matters pointed out to me once that everyone at Stonewylde is white. Which when you think about it is a pretty daft observation really!

I hope this answers your question, Greymalkin! And a very warm welcome to Stonewylde too! :D
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Sujee » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:53 pm

Oh Kit! :P

I am thinking hard now! Is this just a ploy to get me to read the first three - again?! :twisted:

I think it might be Martin. Purely because he is unmarried (please - bear with me), devoted to Magus (although that could be for another reason...) and also has a relationship with his mother which would, ordinarily, have moved on a stage by now. Now, this may all sound cliched but it is not meant to - as you say Kit, it is part of his being, not an outward appearance so the only clues to go on are emotive ones. :D

As to the other fleeting guest in books 1-3 - hmmm - I may well have to skim read them again now!! :lol:

Am probably right off the beam but will go away and think about it properly - this was the first character to pop into my head...

Although... it could be Clip.... but no spoilers just now... as I am unsure if anyone would look here and get their book ruined through the conjecture which I am sure wil be rife...!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby kit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:00 pm

Sujee you're forgetting a clifftop funeral with a little boy present! Well, three little boys but one of them relevant to your line of thinking! :D
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Sujee » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:02 pm

Gah! Don't do this to me whilst I am at work and cannot get to the books!! :lol: :lol:

Bit of a heads up though...? :wink:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:08 pm

I know who it is-I know who it is :lol:

but must PM kit and not tell you lot :wink:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Ebany » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:23 pm

Ahhh!!!! Blast, I'm at work too and unable to think who it might be!! I already (just like Sujee) had Martin down as either gay or asexual (androgenous?) and was even thinking about who could play him in the film.
Kit, you are a tease - this is going to drive me nuts until I get home to check the books!!!
Oh and Kit - thank you!! This sort of thing keeps us on our toes!!!!! :D :D
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby iWitch » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Greymalkin wrote:As a gay man myself I find that younger pagans are generally accepting, however it's a different story when it comes to much older pagans.

It all has to do with it being a fertility cult I believe.

Apparently Gerald Gardner was incredibly homophobic and in fact kicked people out of his coven when he discovered thier homosexuality.

Just to be clear about something here. Stonewylde is a pagan community, not Wicca. Yes, Wicca is a fertility cult, but other pagan traditions are not. Neo-druidry, for instance, is often cited as being a "nature worshipping" tradition. Gerald Gardner and Wicca are one, very small section of the pagan community; not all are the same.

Certainly, Stonewylde stands alone in its pagan concepts - thankfully!
iWitch

Postby Greymalkin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Kit! :D

Now, a spot of fairy spotting (and I can say that being one myself - lol!)

Well, as I said before I've had my suspicions about Clip from the off and I still hold out hope for him.
I really hope it isn't Martin because I see him as a bit of a weed and I don't like him a great deal.
Now let me think (* Greymalkin re-adjusts his gaydar)
It could be Professor Siskin, he does make certain comments about Yul or,... oh... oh... oh... even better, it could be Buzz!
I know he's always posing about for the girls and strutting all over the place but he could be over compensating to hide his homosexuality, and we're all thinking it's a man, could be a woman...
Mother Heggy?

Oh dear,... my gaydar has gone into overdrive now. I'll spend the next three weeks thinking EVERYBODY is secrectly gay.

Cheers Kit!
Greymalkin

Postby Leanne » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Carprimulgidae wrote:I spelt mine wrong but no one knew :lol:

i knew Carp, as we've talked about! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leanne

Postby Firecracker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Kit I swear you do this to us so we will go read them again!! :lol:

My first thought was professor Siskin.... I shall be delving into the books once I get home tonight and Daniel is in bed :D
Firecracker

Postby Moongoddess » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:05 pm

My first thought was professor Siskin

That was my first though too Firecracker. :D great mind think a like :D
Moongoddess

Postby Sujee » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:54 pm

This is driving me nuts as I have loaned book 1 to a friend who is a bit poorly.... MG and Firecracker, let me know if you find any clues in that book!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

WARNING Spoiler, do not read unless you've read all 3 books!

Postby Moongoddess » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:12 pm

WARNING SPOILER - DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ALL 3 BOOKS

Well I do know it definately can't be Prof Siskin, as he will not be playing a larger part in books 4 & 5, unless it's as a ghost :shock:
Last edited by Moongoddess on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moongoddess

PreviousNext

Return to Stonewylde Series