HALLFOLK OR VILLAGER - Which would you be?

Discussions about the Stonewylde Series of books

Moderator: mrb

Postby solsticedreamer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:17 pm

:lol: i love this post...all chattering in the barn!

i reached 41 this year and wonder where the years have gone i guess i still see myself as in my twenties...or at least 30's!

when i sit and think back to how old i thought my parents where when i was a teenager, now i find that not only im that age myself :shock: but iam also fondly known as a ' that crazy step-witch with the blue van' :lol:
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Melmoon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:59 am

I Haven't really given it much thought, Hall would be much simplier, but i couldn't stand hard larbor from others; if i had to be hall i would use my free time helping villagers, but if i was a villager i'll probably bring less work and more free time =-)
I'm 15, I love the moon sometimes I sing and dance randomly... maybe i'm moongazey =)
Melmoon

Postby MISTYCAT » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:16 pm

I'd have to be Hallfolk I'm afraid - love all the luxuries too much! I wouldn't mind Magus's halls of residence - now they sound like bliss, but I'd have to boot Magus out first!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blessings from Mistycat
MISTYCAT

Postby Greymalkin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:46 am

Definately Hallfolk. I'd have to blonde-up first though.
Greymalkin

Postby kit » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:01 am

Looks like Mr B finally has some company up at the Hall! :lol:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Greymalkin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:03 pm

I think Mr. B and I would run Stonewylde very well. You lot do all the work and we'll make all the money.
Now hurry up and finish that Mead I'm flogging it onto Morrisons!!!
Greymalkin

Postby solsticedreamer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:51 pm

kit wrote:Looks like Mr B finally has some company up at the Hall! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

still a villager me :D
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Meryn » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:35 pm

I would also be a villager. I live as closely to this as I can in the modern world we are in.
I grow my own veggies, have 4 hens for eggs, I cook everything from fresh ingredients (no ready meals in my freezer!), I am currently on my first attempt at home brewing - looking forward to the results of that!! and have a log fire to heat our house, and live everday as intune with nature and Mother Earth as I can. X
May I live simply that others may simply live.
Meryn

Postby Sorcha » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:46 pm

Although I am a big city dweller now, I would prefer to live in a village like the village in Stonewylde!! I would not miss modern comforts one bit if I would live at such a wonderful place!!! :P :P :P This summer I was campsite on one of the islands here in the north of the Netherlands, a very basic camping, no electricity, people making their own furniture with driftwood and branches found in the woods, wonderful!! I could very well just live that way! Hated the fact I had to go back to this filthy crowded city, but this is where my work is! :( :( :( So, yes I would definitely will be a Villager here!!! :P :P :P
Sorcha

Postby MPoppins » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:58 pm

I would be a villager but I would campaign for the rights of all Stonewylde folk to have an equal education. All should have the opportunity to gain skills, learn crafts and study nature as well as being able to read, write etc etc Perhaps I should apply to Yul for a position?
Dance as though no-one is watching,
Love as though you've never been hurt,
Work to live as though there is no money,
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:11 pm

as a villager I would have all the education i needed to work safely in the woods at one with nature, so wouldnt need all that hall folk stuff (except a laptop & broad band) well we all need a little something dont we :wink:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby MPoppins » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:45 am

Maybe this is going off topic a little but the storyline of Miranda being a teacher and her feelings that it was unfair for the villagers to miss out on an academic education is close to my heart. I hear a lot of alternative people (including Noam Chomsky) criticizing the education systems in place. One of my best friends refuses to take her child to school and believes in home tuition. Although I admit there are flaws and there is a danger of indoctrinating children at school, I believe that every child had the right to an equal education. It is too easy for us to dismiss school when we have all had the privilege of an education and are therefore learned and articulate enough to be able to do so. There are children all over the world who cannot read or write and would not be able to use the internet even if they had access to it.

As a teacher myself I would like to see schools improve of course but that change has to come from within - and actually primary schools are making a lot of exciting changes aatthe moment. I'd like all children at Stonewylde to be at school but the curriculum would cover a Yul type education as well as that which the Hallfolk receive.

Any thoughts?
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby Beantighe » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:42 am

I think that's an excellent idea, Mary. I think a lot of academic subjects are too dry and a lot of children find them a big turn-off like I did, not finding them of any relevance to their lives or interests. It would be so good if plant and animal lore and knowledge of the countryside and everything connected with it could be taught in all schools as part of the curriculum, then the children would also learn about science as well as botany and zoology without even realising it. It would also help them to develop a love of nature and the earth from an early age, which could only be good for the planet in future generations, and ensure that the age-old lore and skills would be preserved. Who knows, it might produce a new generation of Pagans, too! :wink:

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby MPoppins » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:44 am

My thoughts exactly...I'm working on it :)
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby kit » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:58 pm

This is so weird - it seems we're almost coming full circle here! :shock:

You may have read in various publications (I've been doing so many of these interviews in the past months that I'm losing track of what I've told whom!) and from stuff I've posted etc - but what kick-started Stonewylde in the first place and made me start to write, was because my school had sent me on a wonderful residential course in Devon entitled "Reconnecting Children with Nature". It was to help teachers bring children closer to the natural world, and a gesture against the awful restrictions of the then-new National Curriculum (bet you can all imagine how much I fought against that strait-jacket!).

The greatest outcome of this course for me was creating Stonewylde, and as you know, I thought I was writing it for teenagers. Stonewylde has been my way of trying to open people's eyes to the amazing world around them, bring green spirituality into youngsters' lives and generally show that paganism is a wonderful thing, whether you're a practising witch or simply a person who loves nature but never found a name for it before.

It seems that maybe I succeeded! I've had lots of e-mails from people of all ages who say that reading the books has really helped them rediscover their love of the natural world and given them a new focus. I imagine that most of you on this forum were there already, but it brings me immense joy to know I awakened something within other people, and that can only be for the good.

Of course this whole Villager/Hallfolk debate is because of the polarisation of their lifestyles, something which Magus discusses with Miranda when she first moves to Stonewylde. You'll have to see how the issues are dealt with in Book Four (no spoilers here for those who haven't yet read all three books) given what happens at the end of Book Three. :D

It's a tricky one, this topic. Complete ignorant bliss as a Villager, or informed choices as Hallfolk? Hmmnn :roll:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

PreviousNext

Return to Stonewylde Series