"Shadows ..."(Spoilers re: "Solstice @")

Discussions about the Stonewylde Series of books

Moderator: mrb

"Shadows ..."(Spoilers re: "Solstice @")

Postby iWitch » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:38 pm

Okay, so I was wondering if we could post any questions we might have following the end of "Solstice at Stonewylde" here. I certainly have a few.

1. Who is the "other brother" to which Mother Heggy referred? Were there three brothers? If so, who am I forgetting, or is he yet to appear?
  2. Will the Hallfolk object to Yul being Magus? After all, he rejected the idea of his being Hallfolk in the scene where Magus acknowledges Yul as his own and they can't have been happy about that.
  3. How will the whole community respond to the fact that The Magus is dead by the hands of Mother Heggy, Yul and Sylvie? A trial?
  4. Will the Villagers rise up and revolt against the Hallfolk? If the behaviour of the current group of pre-adult Hallfolk towards Villagefolk is anything to go by, prejudice and oppression has existed for some time. For instance, I can't see Holly accepting Villagefolk at the school.
  5. Will the Hallfolk mock Yul as leader because he cannot read and write? Even though Sylvie can help, she's doesn't appear to have the strength to stand up for herself.
  6. How will the community raise funds without a financial whizz about? Will they recruit from the former Hallfolk residents?
  7. If Sylvie allows previous tenants of the community to return at will (rather than the limit which The Magus put in place), where are they all going to reside? Will Buzz return? And, how will they know who has been exiled?
  8. What happens to the two old hags that tried to poison everyone (under The Magus's direction)? Exile?
  9. How supportive of Miranda will Clip really be? After all, he's a bit of flake and not prone to address mundane matters and its not his child.
  10. Will Clip and Sylvie develop any kind of relationship?
  11. Will Yul and Sylvie's relationship run smooth? They are very young and their emotions do get the better of them and logic does seem to vanish in times of stress.

That's just for starters. I'll ponder some more and add to the list. :wink:

Just noticed the list function doesn't work? Can someone techy please help?
Last edited by iWitch on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iWitch

Wonderful post, iWitch!

Postby kit » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:10 pm

This is a great post! Speculation about the future of Stonewylde. Now I can't join in this discussion for obvious reasons (or was this just a cunning ploy on iWitch's part to make me give away the plot of Shadows??? Wouldn't put it past her as she's a tricksy lady!!). But it would be fascinating to read what others think about what might happen next after the climax of Solstice. Bear in mind that I've actually written the next book (and know what's going to happen in the final book too although I haven't written that one yet). So what everyone says won't change anything. But all I will say is .... I think you'll all be surprised at what's going to happen in the future. Shadows is absolutely full of twists and turns. I re-read it recently, having not picked it up for two years, and was quite surprised myself!!

So let's have some more ideas from everyone please! iWitch makes some really interesting points. I know from some of her past blogs on other sites that she prides herself on being able to predict what comes next. I'm desperately hoping she won't be too clever about this, although judging from this post, she's already sniffing about like a bloodhound! Over to you ... :wink:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Wonderful post, iWitch!

Postby iWitch » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:39 pm

kit wrote:Now I can't join in this discussion for obvious reasons (or was this just a cunning ploy on iWitch's part to make me give away the plot of Shadows???

Maybe ... maybe not. :twisted:

kit wrote: Wouldn't put it past her as she's a tricksy lady!!).

Me? Wasn't me who hid the author's note abou the next two books two pages over from the last page of the Solstice book! :cry:

kit wrote:So let's have some more ideas from everyone please! iWitch makes some really interesting points. I know from some of her past blogs on other sites that she prides herself on being able to predict what comes next. I'm desperately hoping she won't be too clever about this, although judging from this post, she's already sniffing about like a bloodhound! Over to you ... :wink:

Hey now. :( I'm not really looking for clues. Image Just thought it would be interesting to know the thoughts of other readers - whilst we wait for Book 4 :mrgreen:
iWitch

Vasuki?

Postby custos » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:20 pm

I like this topic, what a great collection of questions - well done iWitch.

I hope I can respond to them all later but the matter of Clip's 'other brother' is rightly at the top of the list! When I reached the conclusion of Solstice and no further mention of this was made I was puzzled and carefully re-read the text. It's my belief that the 'brother' that Clip should fear is within him, his 'alter ego' if you like. Throughout history the serpent has been regarded as a symbol of evil 'a noxious creature that creeps, hisses, or stings' and many believe that this serpent or 'Vasuki' lives in every human. Clip's use of drugs and his weakness of will makes him very vulnerable to the 'serpent that creeps' and the evil that might be released if it gains control of him.
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious'
custos

So many questions!

Postby water_nymph » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:10 pm

On the point of the 'other brother' I think it could be Martin- Magus seemed to trust him a lot- although it could be a character we haven't yet met.
I constantly think about Yul & Sylvie & I really hope the course of love runs smooth for them!

The biggest questions are:
How far into the future will Shadows be set? Will Yul & Sylvie be at lot older? Or like the other books will it begin shortly after the previous ended? More importantly...when is Shadows coming out?

*Millie, always moongazy*
*For believers no proof is necessary, for no believers non proof is possible*
water_nymph

Postby iWitch » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:29 pm

I did think of another question whilst on holiday over Samhain, and that is what is the significance of the serpent stone at the Quarry? I think we may have a bit more history to discover about Stonewylde yet. :wink:
iWitch

Postby Leanne » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:43 pm

when i read about the other brother i too, like Millie, thought immediately of Martin, always so loyal to magus, and trusted by him.
Leanne

Postby Seaslave1 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:44 am

Leanne wrote:when i read about the other brother i too, like Millie, thought immediately of Martin, always so loyal to magus, and trusted by him.

Me too! The bit about Clip and Martin being so much alike, rang bells. guess we'll just have to wait and find out
Seaslave1

Postby solsticedreamer » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:20 am

Yes I too thought of Martin...there was a small part in the book...excuse my poor memory here :oops: but i think it was Sylvie who saw Martin with Magus...anyway it made me think...martin.
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Firecracker » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:06 am

Well I finished Solstice last night!!! So I can read these threads, I’ve been dying to but didn’t want to spoil it lol.

Like some others, I think possibly Martin could be the ‘other brother’. At the part where Clip comes to get Sylvie and hits Martin over the head it mentions how similar they are. I was also thinking that Martin might play a bigger part in Shadows. I might have remembered wrong but when Magus comes back to his room he finds Sylvie gone and Martin ‘unconscious’. Did it say unconscious? (I’m at work so I can’t check lol). I’m pretty sure that he isn’t dead because Mother Heggie had 5 candles and they were herself, the two hired guys, Magus and Siskin. I don’t think Martin will take too kindly to Yul being the new Magus!! And he also asked Magus about inheritance of Stonewylde and who it would pass to. Maybe he is thinking that if he gets rid of Clip and he is the only remaining brother then Stonewylde will be his and he can get rid of Yul???

By the way, I love to speculate, can you tell? Lol! v :lol:

I do think Buzz will try and make a come back. Been as he is I’m sure he will totally blame Yul for his banishment and try and get revenge now that Sol is dead. And of course he also was crazy about Sylvie – even more reason for his to want to get back to Stonewylde.

I think Holly’s jealousy over Sylvie will spiral out of control! Not only did Holly want Yul when he was a villager I’m sure she will want him even more now that he’s the new Magus!

Well that’s my guesses for Shadows lol. I can’t wait to find out what happens!
Firecracker

Postby kit » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:13 am

You're a clever lady, Firecracker!! :lol:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Beantighe » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:16 pm

And also there's Miranda's baby, due at Imbolc, I believe. How is she going to feel about the baby now, now she knows what Sol was really like? And how will she manage now that his father is dead? There may be a faction of Hallfolk who dislike intensely the fact that Yul is now Magus and would like Sol's new son to be Magus when he is grown. In the meantime, there could be some sort of a power struggle to govern Stonewylde in the baby's name and oust Yul. Can Clip be trusted, or will he undergo a transformation now that he is no longer under Sol's evil sway?

Then there's Martin, who is very likely closely related to Sol in some way. He knows everything about running the Estate, and Yul will need to be able to rely on his help, but he is already resentful of Yul and likely to plot against him and also Clip - anyone in fact who had any part in Sol's downfall. He may even harbour ambitions to be Magus himself.

Gods, there are so many tangled threads in the story I'm even getting confused myself! Roll on 'Shadows'!!! This is killing me!

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Taz » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:03 pm

:lol:
I can't cope! I need to go and have a lie down before the suspense of waiting for the next book has me heading for the chocolate again!
:lol:
x
Taz

Postby Firecracker » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:38 pm

Oooh, I forgot all about the new baby!
Firecracker

Postby Felicity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:34 am

Is the brother Martin? Remember in Solstice a remark about him looking just like Magus?? May be mis quoting but something similar.

As to money, there's a section where Clip talks about the money he has but doesn't use living his shaman life. Eek, just thought, does that make Sylvie Stonewylde's heir?

I wonder too about what will happen next with the weird family: Violet, Vetchling, Starling, Jay. Something not right there. If Martin is the other brother (and also Violet's son) maybe there's a story to be told from them . . .
Are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze at them because we are human? And do the stars gaze back - now that's a question!
Felicity

Next

Return to Stonewylde Series