Science or Magic?

Discussions about the Stonewylde Series of books

Moderator: mrb

Science or Magic?

Postby custos » Tue May 08, 2007 8:53 pm

In my younger days I used to read a lot of science fiction but it had to be based on what I thought of as 'real' science. However the mysteries of Quantum Physics sends a chill down my spine in much the same way that Kit's stories do and I have come to realize that there is not such a difference between fantasy and science as some might think! Perhaps the mysteries of Stonewylde are not mysteries at all but simply long forgotten truths and the magic is just as 'real' as any science. What do others think?
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious'
custos

Postby mrb » Tue May 15, 2007 11:29 am

Yes. I know exactly what you mean. Kit's narrative expertly has you suspend belief as you get drawn deeper and deeper into Stonewylde. What once seemed fantastical becomes so very real.

If you haven't already, check out the film "What the Bleep Do We Know", a very accessible docufilm about Quantum Physics and stranger than fiction thinking which helps blur the line some more. Once you've watched it, all becomes clear ... or does it?

Check it out on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_Bleep_Do_We_Know!

MrB.

P.S. Let's hope one day we can say "check out the Stonewylde film(s)!!!"
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com
and the Stonewylde Village Store at www.stonewyldestore.com

Signup to the Newletter to keep in touch with progress on the Stonewylde Series. Signup at: http://www.stonewylde.com/subscribe.htm
mrb

Patterns

Postby kit » Tue May 15, 2007 8:25 pm

Nice topic, my man of science! The thing that really fascinates me, not that I'm scientific in any way, is patterns. I don't know much about this but the whole thing of spirals, the helix, DNA, Fibonacci, sunflower seeds, snowflakes, atoms, the brain and the labyrinth - all these things intrigue me and make me horripilate. :shock: When I see these patterns I really can't believe it's all just random - there must be some kind of plan.

One of my favourite bits in the Stonewylde series is in Moondance when Yul calls up the thunderstorm. Can human beings affect the weather? (Think of rain-dances) It seems so unlikely and yet ... When you look at the concept of steam/water/ice and the fact it's the same stuff but with different amount of energy affecting it, you realise that maybe it is that simple - a transfer of energy. By those who know how to do it. I'm sure we've lost a great deal of knowledge in our quest for civilisation.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Coincidences

Postby Felicity » Wed May 16, 2007 7:04 am

I agree Kit about Fibonacci and the Divine proportion. What fascinates me is that as humans we constantly look for order and meaning in the chaos. Look at coincidences - I know people who call them just that. However, there are others (like me, I confess!) who just have to believe that things happen for a reason and that there is some kind of 'connection' to everything. As a witch, I've had several 'weird' experiences that I can't put down to coincidence. Perhaps we just need to believe in something 'more.'
Are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze at them because we are human? And do the stars gaze back - now that's a question!
Felicity

I agree.

Postby water_nymph » Wed May 16, 2007 3:43 pm

100% am with you Fliss. I don't believe in coindence either- it's just a scientists word for chance. I think people should be able to believe in whatever they want to believe :lol: I don't think we as a race should assume to know everything & I quote from on of my fav.books "Not everything in this world can be understood by us, nor should it be."
*For believers no proof is necessary, for no believers non proof is possible*
water_nymph

May I quote Most Haunted?

Postby Felicity » Fri May 18, 2007 7:00 am

"For the true believer no proof is necessary.
For the non believer no proof is possible."
Are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze at them because we are human? And do the stars gaze back - now that's a question!
Felicity

Re: Patterns

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:22 am

kit wrote:Nice topic, my man of science! The thing that really fascinates me, not that I'm scientific in any way, is patterns. I don't know much about this but the whole thing of spirals, the helix, DNA, Fibonacci, sunflower seeds, snowflakes, atoms, the brain and the labyrinth - all these things intrigue me and make me horripilate. :shock: When I see these patterns I really can't believe it's all just random - there must be some kind of plan.

One of my favourite bits in the Stonewylde series is in Moondance when Yul calls up the thunderstorm. Can human beings affect the weather? (Think of rain-dances) It seems so unlikely and yet ... When you look at the concept of steam/water/ice and the fact it's the same stuff but with different amount of energy affecting it, you realise that maybe it is that simple - a transfer of energy. By those who know how to do it. I'm sure we've lost a great deal of knowledge in our quest for civilisation.

I totaly agree with you Kit, this may not sound relevent but hang on :wink:

I used to keep bees and the very first time i looked into a hive i was blown away by how they are so organised-tidy & gentle (they will sting but mostly our fault, they dont want to die but give it all up for the good of the hive) I am also sure we have lost a lot of our sences, they come back when looked for but as every gereration comes along it is slowly getting lost. All my life i have been an out door person, stuck working in an office would have killed me, I used to come home soaking wet & cold after a day working on a roof in all weathers and would not change that for anything, cooped up in an office watching snow flakes fall I just cannot imagine, on a roof in that weather is fantastic, so quiet & peacfull you have to be there to know. So i can easely imagine poor Yul at Stonewylde and being so close to nature, why not being able to summon up the weather, I think it could be posable but maybe best we cant or it would be abused the same as everything else the western world gets hold of.
Sorry to bore you all, but I feel better for that :D :D
Carprimulgidae

a PS

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:26 am

sorry my head is going :o

I did mean to say;

just look at the pattern of a snow flake, I too could look at them all day they are perfect in every way and makes me feel so alive when i see them falling so delicate and holding so much detail in everyone.

Maybe it is because i was born in a snow storm??????? my mum thinks so :?: and she always knows best (well she is a woman)
Carprimulgidae

The search for truth..

Postby MPoppins » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:40 am

Has anyone else found that the search for truth and knowledge begins in the heart and yet we try and use our heads to solve the mysteries, when the solutions become apparent we realise that the answers were in our hearts all along? Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out...ahhhhh :P
Dance as though no-one is watching,
Love as though you've never been hurt,
Work to live as though there is no money,
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby Beantighe » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:35 am

I've always believed it's possible to influence the weather.

What's the best rain-making ritual known to man?

Washing the car! :twisted:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :oops:

Love Beantighe
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Return to Stonewylde Series