The Witches of Eastwick 2008

A place for general chat with Stonewylde friends

Moderator: mrb

The Witches of Eastwick 2008

Postby cornmother » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Did you enjoy the film? Did you see the musical? Witches has gained a huge cult following, and if you’re in the Surrey area, you’re in for a real treat in October (14th-18th October at the Epsom Playhouse, Ashley Avenue, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 5AL)

The Epsom Light Opera Company's production of the Witches is being directed by real life magician James Fortune, who is a Member of the Inner Magic Circle with Gold Star (the highest degree obtainable within the Magic Circle) – so it promises to be something really special – and different! James has brought a different slant to the original story, with the emphasis more on the Wiccan/Pagan side of witchcraft, and the music is still glorious.

And yes, there’s another piece of my straw work in this production. :oops:

For more information have a look at http://www.eloc.org.uk/index.php?option ... &Itemid=81
or you can contact James himself at james@jamesfortune.co.uk

CM
Joy, Health, Love and Peace
cornmother

Postby Carprimulgidae » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Oh wise one you always amaze me with your info :lol: where do you get it all :wink:

why didnt you put it in the thread i started for (hang on, must go and look to see what it was..) Right :P , in festivals and Pagan Stuff/festivals and gatherings look here.
as there was only 1 reply maybe it was not a good idea :roll:

:wink:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby cornmother » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Greetings, night-walker
Good to have you around the forums again.

why didnt you put it in the thread i started for (hang on, must go and look to see what it was..) Right , in festivals and Pagan Stuff/festivals and gatherings look here.

Well, to be honest, it's not a Pagan or a Wiccan event, it's entertainment, just something I thought people might enjoy.

If anyone does go, tell us all about it - your impressions, did you enjoy it, etc.

With a smile,
CM
Last edited by cornmother on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cornmother

Postby Carprimulgidae » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:21 pm

:roll: you got me again, an answer for everything, sure are a wise old one :P (young one :wink: )

just off to bed for an early night, how many times i say this i dont know :roll:

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sujee » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:59 pm

Am off to see Witches with Marti Pellow in Bournemouth in November... a friend from work has booked tickets.... :D
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:42 pm

you go for it girl, you deserve it :wink:

Carprimulgidae

Postby James Fortune » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:05 am

Dear Sujee,

As far as I know, in the Marti Pellow version currently on tour, there is no attempt at converting the rather "standard" witches (i.e. women who do weird things to people because they lack a man in their life!) of the original book/film/musical into wicca adepts.

When I was asked to direct the Epsom Light Opera version (at the Epsom Playhouse in a fortnight - book now to avoid disappointment!), I approached the whole thing from the point of view that if these ladies practiced anything at all, they practiced a path of wicca. Furthermore, i changed the character of The Little Girl from a silly kid of the town skipping around annoying people to Luna - a mysterious feral New Age child from the 'green' who carries a strange poppet and appears at poignant moments to warn us of impending doom. She is also the KNOWING agent that shows the 'Witches' how to "send Darryl back from whence he came".

Does that intrigue you?

I hope so. :-)
Kindest regards
James
James Fortune

Postby kit » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:46 am

Sounds fascinating, James. I love it when new directors/producers put their own slant and interpretation on things (plays, films, songs - what's the point in redoing something exactly the same as the original?). Your ideas sound almost Shakesperian and I mean that as a compliment. I'm sure it will be a very interesting production.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby James Fortune » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:32 am

Thank you Kit.

I do try :-)
Kindest regards
James
James Fortune

Postby cornmother » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Dress Rehearsal tonight! Won't wish you well on that, we all know a dodgy Dress Rehearsal is a good sign.....

Premiere performance tomorrow night! It'll be fantastic!

Go, James!!

BREAK A LEG!!!

:)
CM
cornmother

Postby kit » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:49 pm

All the best, James! Let us know how it goes! :D
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby James Fortune » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:58 am

Thank you Cornmother for your kind words.

It went beyond my wildest dreams!!

The audience were with us all the way. They were laughing and clapping and 'dancing in their seats'. At the end, I saw many gentleman dancing with our sexy Devil Girls !!

In the --Interval--, people approached me having recognised me from my photo in the foyer and said words like "triumph" and "brilliant". More people carried on raving afterwards. They raved about the sets, the costumes, the lighting, the sound, the music and the voices, the performances, the choreography and the magic! There were even some magicians in who didn't know how the effects worked!

Two ladies approached me to thank me for putting wicca into mainstream entertainment.

We've just started to sprinkle pixie dust into our audiences' eyes.

Please, please, please - if you're reading this - make the effort to come and see the show. I promise you won't regret it.

There are -some- tickets left most nights (7:30pm) this week but not many. Saturday Matinee (2:30pm) is currently a little emptier.

I'll be in the auditorium in my DJ every night so I'd love to speak with any of you. I'm the one who looks like Patrick Moore!! :-)
Kindest regards
James
James Fortune

Postby kit » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:58 pm

[smilie=msn_star.gif] That's all fantastic, James!!! I'm so glad it went brilliantly - what a triumph for you. I really wish I could come but unfortunately it's impossible - so disappointing. Congratulations - and hopefully some other forum members will be able to make it perhaps. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]
kit

Postby James Fortune » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks Kit.

It would be great if they could.

BTW, can I buy your books on here? If so, how?
Kindest regards
James
James Fortune

Postby kit » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:10 pm

You can buy them from my website, James - the link is on my signature. Although the cheapest option is actually amazon, especially if you buy all three and get the free delivery. Thanks! And I really hope you enjoy them. :D
kit

Next

Return to The Village Green