Christmas Songs...

A place for general chat with Stonewylde friends

Moderator: mrb

Christmas Songs...

Postby faery » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:14 pm

...trolling round the shops.....what's your favourite/most annoying 'Christmas Song'...and which one signals, yup, it's nearly Christmas...
The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon...but it's echo lasts a great deal longer...
faery

Postby Witchypoo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:21 pm

I work in a store with piped music. All Christmas music is annoying, but anything by Cliff Richards makes me want to go postal! :lol:
Witchypoo

Postby Queen OF Swords » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:24 pm

It's toooo early :(

But, since you ask, "Fairytale Of New York" is my favourite (and is mine and my OH's song :oops: ) but it's not Xmas til you hear "Stop The Cavalry" by Jonah Lewie.
Queen OF Swords

Postby sea sprite » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:28 pm

I like 'Fairytale of New York' too, but I love '2000 miles' by the Pretenders. It's not overly Christmassy and I love Chrissy Hyndes voice :oops:

I'm not keen on 'Happy Christmas (War is Over)' as it's so depressing and makes me realise that things haven't changed since it was written :(
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Kas » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:37 pm

Ha ha ha , Cliff Richards. Yeah I agree. Those are the ones that stick in your head and go round and round while trying not to hum them. How do they do it? :lol: I don't want to think about them yet, it's too early to have them in my head!
Kas

Postby solsticedreamer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:47 pm

Queen OF Swords wrote:It's toooo early :(

But, since you ask, "Fairytale Of New York" is my favourite (and is mine and my OH's song :oops: ) but it's not Xmas til you hear "Stop The Cavalry" by Jonah Lewie.

oh yes for me too :)
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Carprimulgidae » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:20 pm

yes far too early, dec 1st is soon enough but i love getting a tree ready and wrapping presents (not as much as opening them, like a big kid then)

Jethro Tull done a nice "Christmas Song" the first time i heard it was with headphones on and in stereo (yes there was mono first for you young uns out there) I jumped a mile at the end when he said "hey santa, pass us that bottle will you" from that day on i have been grey :lol:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Beantighe » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:01 pm

Most annoying? Definitely Cliff Richard, especially Mistletoe and Whine (sic) closely followed by Jingle Bells and Frosty the Snowman!

I quite like the old standards by Wizzard and Slade and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee.
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Moongoddess » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:12 pm

I like Emmerson, lake and palmer's 'I believe in father christmas' and I also enjoy 'stop the cavalry' and 'Fairytale of New York' - I like 'here it is merry christmas'....at the begining, but by christmas day it starts to get a bit too much :? But the worst, really really really has to be Cliff Richards.....what a bore....oh, I heard he's bringing another one out this year :? what joy :roll:
Moongoddess

Postby Beantighe » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:26 pm

Never mind, hon, I read in the paper recently that the little girl soprano, Faryl Smith (from Britain's Got Talent) is teaming up with Andrew Johnston to produce a song which hopefully will challenge Cliffie for the No 1 Xmas spot. I really think it's time he retired gracefully - I admit I quite like his latest offering Thank You, which is autobiographical, but listen to it - it really sounds as if he hasn't got his teeth in, lol! :?
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Moongoddess » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:31 pm

What ever song anyone brings out, I'll buy it if it means HE wont get to number one :lol: :lol:
Moongoddess

Postby faery » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Yes ...it's too early...it's too early for "x-mas" foods, cards and gift ideas to be on the shelves too, but they are... :shock:
The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon...but it's echo lasts a great deal longer...
faery

Postby faery » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:41 pm

MoonG....i've just been sitting watching a vid of "I Believe In Father Christmas" (young Greg Lake..v tasty lol)...I think that's gotta be one of my faves, that and A Spaceman Came Traveling - Chris de Burgh.
faery

Postby Moongoddess » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It'll not be long before Easter Eggs are back on the supermarket shelves :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moongoddess

Postby Ebany » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:50 pm

I've always liked the different xmas songs - Christmas song by Jethro Tull has already been mentioned by Carp, it actually comes from a complete xmas album by them, really very good!
Of course, fairytale of New York, but how about A spaceman came travelling by Chris de Burgh? I believe in father Christmas by Greg Lake I've always liked and Christmas was a friend of mine by Fay Lovsky is so nice and quirky, just different!! :D :D
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Next

Return to The Village Green