My mum's cat died today

A place for general chat with Stonewylde friends

Moderator: mrb

My mum's cat died today

Postby sea sprite » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:18 pm

She was very old (22 :shock: ), but it's still very sad. She was my cat too as when I lived at home she would often sleep on my bed at night or on my lap in the evenings.

She had to be put to sleep as she had become quite listless and not interested in doing much over the weekend. The vet thinks that her kidneys were failing as she had been drinking lots and weeing lots and not interested in eating :(

My brother and I took her to the vet as my mum couldn't face it. The vet was lovely and phoned my mum to explain the options. They could have taken blood and put her on a drip and kept her in the hospital, but that would only have bought her a few more months at the very most and she would probably have got much worse. She didn't seem to be in pain which was good.

I held her whilst the vet gave her the injection and afterwards my brother and I were allowed to stay with her for about 10 minutes to say goodbye :cry: I'm glad that I did this as I have always regretted not staying with our other cat when he was put to sleep 11 yearrs ago.

It's terribly sad, but she was a great age and had a wonderful life. The timing is terrible though as it's the second anniversary of my dad's death on 20th (Thursday), although the actual day he died was the Monday (ie today). My poor mum is heartbroken :cry: Could you please send any positive thoughts her way as she badly needs them.
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby wherethewildrosesgrow » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:21 pm

oh sea sprite I'm so sorry - how sad - and what an age your cat was a real old soul - sending all positive things yours and your mum's way and candles will be lit too.
with love xxxxx
where the willow weeps tears of diamond
and the oak bleeds pearls of dew
I have often dreamed there....
have you?

http://wherethewildrosesgrow.co.uk
wherethewildrosesgrow

Postby sea sprite » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks Rosey.

It's only really starting to sink in now :( I'm really glad that I stayed with her to the end though.
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby kit » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:18 pm

Feeling for you, Sea Sprite. As I've said before, the loss of a beloved pet really cuts deep. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to be with her at the end and say goodbye. [smilie=msn_flower.gif]
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Sorcha » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:37 pm

I am feeling for you too Sea Sprite!! It is so sad to loose a pet!!! But you said she had a good life! Maybe she is sitting now on your fathers lap, looking down on you!! Lots of love and lots of strength for you and your mum!!! [smilie=msn_rainbow.gif] [smilie=msn_star.gif] [smilie=msn_flower.gif]
Sorcha

Postby Ebany » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:24 pm

Sorry to hear that SS, it must be especially difficult having grown up with her. She did have a good long life though and I'm sure she knew she was much loved!! I wish you strength to help you deal with the loss.
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Sujee » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Sea Sprite, I do feel for you. It is so hard when a beloved pet dies, but you did the right thing.
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Kas » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:15 pm

So sorry SS, I totally understand how you feel. Our family cat was put to sleep at the age 18. Her kidneys were failing too. We had the vet come to the house, and we were all there for her. I held her too while the vet injected her. It was a very emotional time and it still upsets me now when I think of her. It's the only time I've seen my dad emotional. She slept on my bed too and always hid under it if she was scared. I'll be thinking of you and your mum, you miss them terribly. Big hugs.
Kas

Postby nikki/tony » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:45 pm

sooo sorry ,its devestating when you have to say goodbye .this year we lost our 12yr old cat celt 2 weeks after moving house ,then i had to make the dessition to put our dog to sleep,'pets` become part of our familys ive always said its like having a house full of perminant children my lot are not pets there family.i know nothing we say can make it easier so all i can say is [smilie=msn_heart.gif] all my best to you and your mum . :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
wytchwood
nikki/tony

Postby solsticedreamer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:57 pm

oh SS i am so sorry :( it really is so hard when a much loved animal companion dies but i do echo sorcha here~i bet she is with your dad loking down and knowing you did the right thing for her
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Moongoddess » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:07 pm

[smilie=msn_cry.gif] Oh Seasprite, so sorry for your loss. Pet's become so much part of the family and leave such devastatingly big holes when they pass to the summerlands. I just look forward to the day when I am reunited with my many beloved pets upon my arrival in the summerlands. I know they are all running arounds enjoying themselves and waiting for me to join them :)
Moongoddess

Postby kattaddorra » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm so sad for you Seasprite and for your mum too. Having had cats for 34 years I know how heartbreaking losing one is.
Take care both of you x
http://clawsforever.ning.com/

As ye sow,so shall ye reap
kattaddorra

Return to The Village Green