icy blast anyone?

A place for general chat with Stonewylde friends

Moderator: mrb

Postby Sorcha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:09 pm

nikki/tony wrote:id take the easy way if i was you .i used to cycle to the school ,everyone would laugh at me turning up on my bike in the snow but i was soon laughing as it as them who struggled ,as i in 8 yrs never fell off once ! :lol: doing the same run 2times a day you learn which bits are likley too be slippy.they banned bikes at the schoolthe next year and i had to walk :cry: they never came out on time ,one day he was 3o minutes late and doors are only opened when the kids come out :cry: or when one of us lost our temper and banged on the doors(wosnt me honest :roll: )

Here in Holland most people cycle to school! (Flat country, Lowlands :wink: ) the kids usually cycle themselves but my son Kaspar ( 12) has sprained his foot and is walking with crutches now, my daughter (8) will probably a bit scared to cycle by herself tomorrow because of the snow. So that will be me with 2 kids on my bike. I have a extended carrier at the back of my bike where there are 2 seats. It is a safe bike, made that way, we have loads of funny bikes here in the Netherlands :wink:

See the link, only the little child seats are replaced by other seats for bigger kids!

http://lifehacking.nl/wp-content/upload ... studio.jpg

Anyway, we do not have a car, so I do everything by bike, including taking to and getting kids from school! In good weather and in bad weather :wink:
Sorcha

Postby nikki/tony » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:21 pm

oh i wish id had one of those ,there is more bike and child seats making there way over here .sams nearly 13 now so goes to school with his friends but it was a nightmare when the school stopped us from going on bikes we would have had to cycle there park the bikes outside then id have to carry sams bike home and bring it back at home time :? i realy miss my bike ! i know the school was worried about the kids being on the roads (the traffic is bad !)but i was on the pavement or took the long way over the field .they didnt care i contacted the local mp turned out she was the one who complaned and was on the school board ,gave up the fight .sam left there soon after anyway :wink:
wytchwood
nikki/tony

Postby Sujee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:36 pm

I had been praying for frost or snow last night in The JAck.

Woke up to brigh skies so I was going to go for a walk then it clouded over and rained in torrents and the wind got up :( Then it stopped, then it started again... all bloomin' day! I ventured out to get cat food and wandered around the farmers' market where our local enviro group were giving away pumpkin soup and pumpkin chocolate brownies too! Grabbed a take out latte and went home... :lol:

Rotten weather - I WANT SNOW AND I WANT IT NOW!!! :lol: :lol:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Sorcha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Rotten weather - I WANT SNOW AND I WANT IT NOW!!! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

When I get home I will try to blow very hard Sujee!! :wink: Maybe I will blow it your way :P :P :P
Sorcha

Postby Ebany » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Well come over here then - I've got plenty!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Sujee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:39 pm

Am packing now..... dunno what work will say tho... :lol:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Ebany » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:44 pm

Am packing now..... dunno what work will say tho...
No problem, I'll phone up and talk in Dutch making sure to mention your name, should confuse them enough to buy you a few days...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ebany

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:45 pm

sujee, do you think we could rustle up a few flake between us. all winter i hope we get a few feet of the white stuff but we dont, and if we do get an inch everything is on stop :P crazy country this 8) how would we cope if we had it like they did in the 40's. my gran used to tell me how they left home for work and walked over the top of the hedge.
Them days people knew they had legs and used them, these days the drive to shops around the corner :lol:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sorcha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Them days people knew they had legs and used them, these days the drive to shops around the corner :lol:[/quote]

Not me Carp, I cycle!!! :wink: :wink: Have no car 8)
Sorcha

Postby Sujee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: - Ebany that should confuse the receptionist enough! Do you have a sledge?
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Sujee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:50 pm

When I used to stay with my grandparents in Kent in the 70s and early 80s we would wake up before New Year to snow up to the roof of the bungalow! Grandad would squeeze out a window and dig us out. It would drift to 6 foot in the back garden and once we had to go and pull the milk float out of a ditch down the road. The farmer's tractor even got stuck and then along came a Cortina with chains on its wheels and it pulled the float out in no time at all!!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Ebany » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Do you have a sledge?
Um no, I'll pinch a tray from work, attach a piece of rope and tow you along..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ebany

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:52 pm

sorcha we used to cycle miles, just wish i could now. I didnt mean bikes, i was getting at not many people walk these day they use their car too often. :wink:
nothing is flat where we live, even the sheep have legs longer one side of their body to the other side. no they are not mutant sheep, they evolved over years of feeding on hill sides :lol:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sorcha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:54 pm

Carprimulgidae wrote:sorcha we used to cycle miles, just wish i could now. I didnt mean bikes, i was getting at not many people walk these day they use their car too often. :wink:
nothing is flat where we live, even the sheep have legs longer one side of their body to the other side. no they are not mutant sheep, they evolved over years of feeding on hill sides :lol:

I know Carp, was just leading you on!! 8) 8) I lived in Scotland for quite some time, but I did cycle there as well! Same sort of sheep by the way :wink:
Sorcha

Postby Sujee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:59 pm

I told Claire and her friends that tale of the sheep once, they were not sure if I was actually fibbing or not... :lol:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

PreviousNext

Return to The Village Green