icy blast anyone?

A place for general chat with Stonewylde friends

Moderator: mrb

Postby Sorcha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:00 pm

Sujee wrote:I told Claire and her friends that tale of the sheep once, they were not sure if I was actually fibbing or not... :lol:

There is also a tale of haggis having one leg longer than the other :wink:
Sorcha

Postby Ebany » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:02 pm

There is also a tale of haggis having one leg longer than the other
if I remember rightly that's only the wild ones from the highlands, could be wrong though, haven't been there for a while...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gerthddyn, Chattering elf.
Ebany

Postby Sorcha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Ebany wrote:
There is also a tale of haggis having one leg longer than the other
if I remember rightly that's only the wild ones from the highlands, could be wrong though, haven't been there for a while...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, its the ones in the lochs! 8)
Sorcha

Postby nikki/tony » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:24 pm

[quote="Carprimulgidae"]sujee, do you think we could rustle up a few flake between us. all winter i hope we get a few feet of the white stuff but we dont, and if we do get an inch everything is on stop
hee i remember that, we lived in north wales for 6yrs my son was born there in the winter when i was pregnant with him we lived up in the mountains and only had our motorbike ,i used to walk down to the shop every day even when it was thick with snow and i was the size of a horse!i miss seeing the snowy mountains i dont miss landing on my bum every few steps :o i remember one year the snow came the bike froze sollid couldnt even move the handlebars ,it was like a bike lolly :lol: the wierd thing was it stopped dead at the end of the road in a perfect line ,one side snow the other not a speck! :?
wytchwood
nikki/tony

Postby Sujee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:30 pm

That post made me laugh Nikki!! :lol: the bike lolly...!!! :lol:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby nikki/tony » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:42 pm

one year we did a trip from bangor to a bike rally in shusbury ,going through the llanberis pass we near froze solid when we got there we couldt get off the bike we were so cold so we had no choise but to let it just fall all the people in the pub saw was us pull up put one foot on the floor lean the bike and all fall over :lol: :lol: took several wiskys before we could speek :wink:
wytchwood
nikki/tony

Postby Sujee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:53 pm

That is bad Nikki. I got frozen on the back of a bike on the way to Birmingham when I was at college. They had to stand me in front of their electric fire to thaw out. Trouble was, I only had a leather jacket so legs seized up... my mate was OK luckily.

I can imagine perfectly the two of you keeling over onto the car park! I should not laugh, but I am going to... :lol: :lol:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby nikki/tony » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:02 pm

think i was laughing 5 minutes later :lol: :lol: things we do,sometimes i miss the bike then i remember how cold you get even in full leathers and im glad tonys got a car :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wytchwood
nikki/tony

Postby Beantighe » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:15 pm

Well I've already told you about the winter of 62/63, when I was snowed up for three months and didn't go back to school until March. We were so isolated I began to think we were the only ones left alive on earth. I lost my excitement over snow after that.

SD, we had our Chinese buffet and it was lovely, as usual. It's on 7 days a week where we go, but Sunday is the dearest day at £8.95 a head, although you can go up and help yourself as many times as you like. We usually manage four courses, so even at the dearest price it's great value.

I had an adult tricycle when my two older daughters were 3 and 13 months. I had two kiddie seats on the back, and because I can't drive, I used to regularly cycle 3 miles into town with them. People often used to remark on how unusual it was, and one person even asked to take a photo of me with the kids on the trike. When my eldest started school, I took her there on the trike, along with her little sister, who was still only 3. If it was raining, I used to get two black bin liners, cut a hole for their heads, and put it over them to keep them dry.

I loved that trike - it was my one little bit of freedom. Eventually, it needed a new tensioner screw, because it wouldn't pedal without them coming loose - I don't know quite how to describe it, but the pedals would go round and round and not 'bite', so I couldn't ride it any more. My ex refused to mend it, and in the end he took it away somewhere and I never saw it again............................
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Sujee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:21 pm

Beantighe, that bike sounds fab, I would like an adult trike, safer for everyone else that way :lol: wonder if you can still get them...? Sorcha would know I bet!

The Chinese sounds wonderful too, i am quite full just thinking of you managing 4 courses... :wink:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Sorcha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 pm

Sujee wrote:Beantighe, that bike sounds fab, I would like an adult trike, safer for everyone else that way :lol: wonder if you can still get them...? Sorcha would know I bet!

You will probably get them over here! There are all sorts of funny bikes here, tandems with kids either in the front or the back, push bikes, what ever, you name it we have it! Will look it up for you on the internet!

Yep, found one!!
http://www.descheemaeker.be/details.asp ... id=101268#

The Chinese sounds wonderful too, i am quite full just thinking of you managing 4 courses... :wink:
Sorcha

Postby solsticedreamer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:28 am

what a cool bike!!! now i am back in the village swampy has promised to get my old bike out of mum's shed and do it up for me~it was my granddad's so has huge sentimental value to me :)

ohhh i so want to go to a chinese buffet now...i am sure i will manage four courses :D

and as for snow...come on folk how will we generate snow for us?! snow dance, special snow spells...
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Sorcha » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 am

Blew so hard towards Sujee last night that all the snow here is gone now!
:( :( :( :( :( So she should have it now; that is if it hasn't melted during the trip over the Channel! 8)

SD I do know a lot of fire dances to get the sun to shine at Midsummer, but no snowdance yet :roll: Maybe we could invent one!? :P
Sorcha

Postby solsticedreamer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:39 am

sorcha i think thats a great idea :)

i remember when i was small the winters were much harder and we always had snow~once here in the village it was so deep my mum pulled us into the village on a sledge...while i was living away from the village my sister would tell me of snowy days, she is convinced that the village, sitting in a hollow in the forest, has its very own eco-system and thats why there are hard frosts and snow...so now i am back i am keeping my fingers crossed :D
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Sorcha » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:57 am

solsticedreamer wrote:sorcha i think thats a great idea :)

i remember when i was small the winters were much harder and we always had snow~once here in the village it was so deep my mum pulled us into the village on a sledge...while i was living away from the village my sister would tell me of snowy days, she is convinced that the village, sitting in a hollow in the forest, has its very own eco-system and thats why there are hard frosts and snow...so now i am back i am keeping my fingers crossed :D

I will keep my fingers crossed for you as well! Here in Amsterdam there is not much hope for a cold winter!
We always skated when I was young! The winters were much colder here as well!! The last time we had a real winter was in 1997. That was the last time we had the Elfstedentocht, ( tour of the eleven cities)

this is what I found on Wikipedia ( :oops: ) about it:

"The Elfstedentocht (English translation: "Eleven-cities Tour") is a speed skating competition and leisure skating tour held irregularly in the province of Friesland, Netherlands.

The tour, almost 200 km in length, is conducted on frozen canals, rivers and lakes between the eleven Frisian cities: Leeuwarden, Sneek, IJlst, Sloten, Stavoren, Hindeloopen, Workum, Bolsward, Harlingen, Franeker, Dokkum and finally again Leeuwarden. The tour is not held each year, mostly because the Dutch winters do not permit skating on natural ice every year. Adding to that, the tour currently features about 15,000 amateur skaters taking part, putting high requirements on the quality of the ice. There is a stated regulatory requirement for the race to take place that the ice must be (and remain at) a minimum thickness of 15 centimetres along the entirety of the course.

There are likely to be points along the route where the ice is too thin to allow mass skating, or where there is some other problem (e.g., there is actually an organisation "Committee Elfsteden Nee" that is opposed to the race and sabotaged the route 1997 by laying salt on the ice at one place). These are called "kluning points" (from West Frisian klúnje) and the skaters walk on their skates to the next stretch of good ice. In 1997 ice-transplantation was introduced to strengthen weak places in the ice, for instance under bridges.

Since the Elfstedentocht is such a rare occurrence, its declaration creates excitement all over the country. The day before the race many Dutch flock to Leeuwarden to enjoy the party atmosphere that surrounds the event. The evening before the race called the "Nacht van Leeuwarden" (Night of Leeuwarden) becomes a giant city-wide street party (Frisians, who have a reputation of surliness, are said to thaw when it freezes). At the day of the race most Frisians stay home to watch the race on television."

And a link with photo's: http://www.noordoost.nl/html/b.php?cat=ea

http://media.putfile.com/Reinier-Paping-1963 ( a short film about the worst Elfstedentocht in 1963! It was like another Ice Age then!)

And some photo's : http://weerwetenswaardigheden.web-log.n ... tuifs.jpeg

http://www.oantinken.nl/images/Elfstedentocht02.jpg

But now they do not make the winters like that anymore!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Sorcha

PreviousNext

Return to The Village Green