good books/authors?

A place for general chat with Stonewylde friends

Moderator: mrb

Postby sea sprite » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks iWitch :)

I did a more thorough search after I posted my message and then found it, so I added it on then. No harm in having a link to it twice though :D
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby creature » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:32 pm

I love the two books by Khalied Houssimi (spelt wrong)

A thousand splended suns and The kite runner

Also love Patrica Cornwall books.

At the moment I am reading Anne McCaffery - Chronicles of Pern which Sujee mentioned.
love and light and magic
creature

Postby Beantighe » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:46 pm

Well at the moment I'm gobbling up Priestess of the Forest (a druid journey) by Ellen Evert Hopman which is a novel set in Iron Age Ireland in about the 1st century CE, at a time when some of the earliest Christian monks and clergy were in conflict with the indigenous Celts and their Druids. I got it from Amazon, and it's so good I can't put it down!

I bought another book at the same time by the same author, called A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year,which explores the history and folklore surrounding the eight major Celtic festivals and includes complete instructions on the medicinal and magical uses of the herbs associated with each celebration. Highly recommended.
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Felicity » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Gosh where do I start?
Loved Wuthering Heights, but didn't 'get it' until I was about 16. Am a Jane Austen-aholic, Persuasion is my favourite. I also love Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte - have you read this one Kit? As a teacher, it really appeals when she describes the naughty 19th century children!

I love the Jasper Fforde series about Thursday Next - if you like books you'll get all the in jokes. I can't recommend this enough xx
Are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze at them because we are human? And do the stars gaze back - now that's a question!
Felicity

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:31 pm

It looks like you lot all have the same tastes, I just went onto Amazon looking for Priestess of the Forest and in the "customers who shopped for" there was Magus and Seth Lakeman.

some books i were looking at a few weeks ago have gone up in price 3 fold but dont know if this is because of xmas or they are just that type of book. :roll:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby iWitch » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:49 pm

Carprimulgidae wrote:some books i were looking at a few weeks ago have gone up in price 3 fold but dont know if this is because of xmas or
they are just that type of book. :roll:

Call me cynical, but I've always thought prices start going up about now, to catch those last-minute xmas shoppers, and to make the sales discounts look larger come Boxing Day. :evil:
iWitch

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:59 pm

your probably right, i only noticed it on the ones i had in my basket & forgot about. when i looked tonight it went from £12 upto £46 :shock: wish I got it at the first price now :cry:
oh well, what goes up must come down :lol: I can wait I got plenty to read just not enough time in the day/night :?

I will keep watching and see if they drop in a month, the 3 books i fancied have all gone up the same price :idea: makes you wonder if they know more about me than I do :? :shock:

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sujee » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi iwitch! you edited your post since I replied and I have read many of the books in your lower list - it was the top list I was referring to so I hope to get lots and lots of book tokens/amazon tokens for my birthday now!!
:lol:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby iWitch » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Carprimulgidae wrote:i only noticed it on the ones i had in my basket & forgot about. when i looked tonight it went from £12 upto £46 :shock: wish I got it at the first price now :cry:

Here's a tip. Don't keep things in your shopping basket, but rather on your (private) wishlist instead. The reason being is that they will up the price (usually back to RRP) if a few people have them in their baskets for a few weeks. It shows the customer is definitely going to purchase and so they can put the price up. :wink: Bit of jolt when you go to pay though. :(
iWitch

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:58 pm

thanks iwitch, they have to get up early to catch old carp :lol:

here is a gold plated one you may like :wink: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0955143926/ref=dp_olp_used/275-2525238-3929517?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sujee » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:13 pm

Bl***y Hell Carp! that is a huge price! :shock: How outrageous!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby iWitch » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:38 pm

That's for the first edition, is it?

Well, Kit, I hope you kept some to hand, because it seems you can make a bit of extra money for xmas. :lol:
iWitch

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:41 pm

i think that must be for book 5 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sorcha » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:42 pm

I am now reading "Heir to Sevenwaters" by Juliet Marillier. And again this book swept me off my feet!! I just cannot stop reading! All her books are quite good. She is a pagan as well, a druid and writes the books from a druid perspective! Here is the link to her website and her books!! Highly recommended!!!

http://www.julietmarillier.com/news.htm
Sorcha

Postby Carprimulgidae » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:50 pm

thanks just going to look, back in a mo [smilie=msn_away.gif]

Carprimulgidae

PreviousNext

Return to The Village Green