80's
33%
90's
No votes
44%

Total votes : 9

Old TV programs you watched years ago

Postby Carprimulgidae » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:06 am

Just looking on the BBC site and came across some old names that sent me back in time.

Dixon of dock green
Doctor who (william hartnell) Doctor Who earned Hartnell a regular salary of £315 per episode by 1966 equivalent to £4,050.90 in modern currency thank you Wikipedia for that bit of info
The Wooden Tops
Andy Pany
Discs a gogo (that may have just been local?
The Avengers
Danger Man
Danger Mouse :lol:
and of course the poor cat who always ended up half dead Tom & Jerry
Adam Adamant
Saturday morning Banana Splits
and many more which are still repeated these days and going strong.

have a think I'm sure you will add more :lol:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Greymalkin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:15 am

While I can be as nostalgic as the next man I must say there are some very good programmes on TV at the moment.
I think TV now is better than it's ever been.
New shows like Survivors and Apparitions are brilliant and to be honest I know how I lived before Strictly Come Dancing! :lol:
Greymalkin

Postby MPoppins » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:39 am

I don't have a TV but we recently downloaded some old children's TV programmes for a laugh. My favourite has to be Henry's Cat or Pigeon Street! Hehe.
Dance as though no-one is watching,
Love as though you've never been hurt,
Work to live as though there is no money,
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby Firecracker » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:33 am

I grew up in the 80's watching things like Rainbow, Button Moon and the Moomins (they actually scared me lol).

My parents always seemed to be watching Only Fools and Horses, Blackadder or Red Dwarf.
Firecracker

Postby Beantighe » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:43 am

I watched a lot of childrens' programmes with my girls back in the 80s. I think the cartoons then were far superior.

There was:

Tom and Jerry
Wacky Races, with Penelope Pitstop and Dastardly and Muttley
Hong Kong Phooey
Top Cat
Banana Man
Bugs Bunny
Daffy Duck
The Pink Panther (not the Peter Sellers films)
Ulysses
Cities of Gold
Sebastian
Ivor the Engine
Roobarb and Custard
The Magic Roundabout
The Singing Ringing Tree
Tom's Midnight Garden
The Moondial

and I loved Jackanory, with unforgettable stories like Gobbolino the Witches Cat, Stig of the Dump, The Bogwoppit, and many others that I just can't remember now. I loved them all.

They also used to produce some wonderful children's fantasy dramas, often with magic, time travel and sci-fi as their themes. Much nicer and far more entertaining than the violence and horror and sheer drivel we have to put up with these days.
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby MPoppins » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:58 pm

I haven't seen the cartoon but I've just finished reading "Tom's Midnight Garden", it's an amazingly chilling and mesmorising children's book. I've never come across a children's book that deals with the concept of time in such a deep way. It's wonderfully written and definitely now on my list of possible books to read aloud in class. I shall now investigate the cartoon!!
Dance as though no-one is watching,
Love as though you've never been hurt,
Work to live as though there is no money,
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby kit » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:03 pm

I love it too, MP - and used to read it to my classes. And have you read Moondial? I recommend that one very strongly and the kids really loved it too.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby nikki/tony » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:32 pm

oooh so many memories ,moomins,rainbow (i hated zippy :x )my sister picks up any old videos and books she comes across from our childhood,just got moondial from her and does anyone remember a childrens drama series called the snow spider,been given the book . one thats been bugging me for years was a drama involving a little boy and a wooden mouse????can picture it in my head but carnt remember the name :roll: :roll:
wytchwood
nikki/tony

Postby sea sprite » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:37 pm

Oooh, I remember Moondial! And Cities of Gold! I used to love The Children of Green Knowe, which was based on the books by Lucy M Boston. Also The Box of Delights was great. :D Jossy's Giants was a favourite too :lol: :oops:
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby kit » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:38 pm

I've never seen the TV production of Moondial - was it good? I only know the book.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby sea sprite » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:45 pm

I loved it, although it was a bit scary! I haven't seen it for 20 odd years, so I don't know how it would stand up now. I can't remember much of it. Did it have a scary Aunt in it, or am I thinking of something else?! :?
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby nikki/tony » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:50 pm

kit if youve got a vidio player ill send it to u if you want :)
wytchwood
nikki/tony

Postby kit » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Ah Nikki that's really kind of you but my old video player has given up the ghost (in favour of the DVD player which is temperamental too). It would have been good to see it - thanks anyway. xxx
kit

Postby swampy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:42 pm

I was (and still am ) a huge gerry anderson fan :D Loved em all, Thunderbirds and Capatin Scarlet especially but woouldnt watch Joe 90 cos I got taunted at school with the name and me in my special NHS gogs :S

Tiswas was my preferred chocie of saturday morning veiwing ( being a brummie it was made just up road!!) although I would also watch swap shop occasionally.

anyone remember the Double Deckers (think thats what it was called)?

The Banana Splits was awesome and always wanted one of those six wheeled buggies :D
Old Guys Rule!
swampy

Postby Sujee » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:12 pm

I remember the Double Deckers!!! And the Banana Splits Rule! (I heard somewhere that they are going to remake this...)

I used to like Pipkins as well when I was small and Busy Lizzie (with a magic flower on her dress) and Captain Pugwash, The Herbs, Bagpuss, Trapdoor, Dangermouse, Vision On (which was made in Bristol where I used to live), The Tomorrow People, and as I got older - Children of the Stones, Tiswas, Dr Who, The Young Ones, TOTP, Dallas, Neverwhere, The Day After Tomorrow (about a nuclear holocaust) oh, and loads and loads more that I cannot think of right now!
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Next

Return to The Village Green