technical hitch???

A place for general chat with Stonewylde friends

Moderator: mrb

technical hitch???

Postby wherethewildrosesgrow » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Is it just me :roll: or do anyone elses pms stay in their outbox and not get sent for hours and hours? :( Help - pleeezeeee :roll:
where the willow weeps tears of diamond
and the oak bleeds pearls of dew
I have often dreamed there....
have you?

http://wherethewildrosesgrow.co.uk
wherethewildrosesgrow

Postby kit » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:03 pm

I don't know about this, Roses. Sometimes it plays up a bit, but usually seems to work okay. It could be that the person you're pming's inbox is full maybe? I know mine clogs up a lot and I have to go and delete some of the posts. Which I hate doing as they're usually quite important.

Mr B has been muttering recently about moving the forum to a new place. He says this one is quite restricted in what you can do (like Greymalkin mentioned a while ago, uploading photos directly etc). But the new ones we've looked at are all complicated and slick looking and I love this forum - it feels so homely. Don't know what everyone else thinks - it would be interesting to hear people's opinions.

I hope the pm issue sorts itself out - maybe you could check when it's possible with those you're contacting to see if their inboxes are often full? If not, we'll have to think again about what it might be that's causing the problems. :roll:
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Greymalkin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:05 pm

LOL! Kit you do make me giggle. How can an internet forum feel homely? Anyway, it isn't the forum that makes it what it is it's the people.
I think a newer, sleeker forum would be good.
Greymalkin

Postby kit » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Hah - I might have guessed YOU'D say that, Greymalkin! :evil: It's all your fault that he wants to switch to a horrid slick one! I've never used a forum before really and I understand this one. Well, more or less. So we know GM wants to upgrade - anyone else got an opinion on this?
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby wherethewildrosesgrow » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:32 pm

:lol: I know just what you mean about the "homely" feel Kit! - however -
........ it's very frustrating when things go wonky :evil: I'd be happy either way - this forum might not be able to host the growing numbers of joinees :wink: - we could always have a slick one and beat it up so it looks homely :wink: :lol:
have you?

wherethewildrosesgrow

websites

Postby cornmother » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:36 pm

Hello both/all

I do agree that this is a very user-friendly website - but so popular that it is possibly outgrowing its basic format. The only trouble with bigger, slicker websites is that they need updating continually - and we do know that it's difficult for the already overworked MrB to spend a lot of time on webmasterly details as well.

But there certainly have been times where the website has been unavailable, weird Error notices pop up, or messages/replies etc. don't get sent. It has definitely generated a lot of cyber-traffic, and we would hate to lose it completely, because of its popularity.

Needs a bit of thinking about.

And yes, the Inboxes/Outboxes do need clearing out regularly (something I'm very bad at). I haven't worked yet out how many messages fill up a box - guess it depends on the length of the message?

CM
Joy, Health, Love and Peace
cornmother

Postby Moongoddess » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:35 pm

I always thought that the messages stayed in your outbox until the person you'd PM logged in and then it cleared to there inbox :? :? But then again.....I don't really know how forums work :roll: :D Like most on here I don't really go on other forums to compare.

I know what you mean Kit, this does seem to be a warm and user friendly site....but is that because of us the members :?: :lol: :lol:
It can be a little annoying when you're sat typing away, then press send only to get an error message and it all disappears :evil: :evil: But does that happen with other forums :?: Is there a size to forums :?: :?: Are we coming to our limit of members :?: :?:
I'm sure that if you do decide that we need a bigger, better, slicker site, we'll soon fluff it up with comfy cushions and a warm fire and make it our own :D
Moongoddess

Postby swampy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:46 pm

I like this forum and definately think that it is down to the contributors who make it as 'homely' as it is. I think a lot of that is not only down to the peeps who are on here but also the ease of use of the site. Its very easy to navigate around and you can find stuff where it should be. My motto is 'if it ain't broke, dont try fixin it' :lol:

As for the pm's I have only ever gotten one!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :( :lol: :lol:
Old Guys Rule!
swampy

Postby wherethewildrosesgrow » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 pm

:wink: problem explained I think thanks to swampy!!!! :wink: :lol: I think the person you've pmed has to read it first - I was assuming that the messages hadn't been sent so THANK YOU SWAMPY - how many now!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
have you?

wherethewildrosesgrow

Postby swampy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:14 pm

well it could be 5!!!!!!!!!! depending on if i get a reply to last one :lol:

Glad to help Rosey :D:D
Old Guys Rule!
swampy

Postby sea sprite » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:42 pm

I must admit that I wouldn't be keen to upgrade to a slicker forum. It's for purely selfish reasons though :oops: We have an ancient PC and there are loads of sites it can't cope with. If this one gets upgraded, then I may not be able to visit :cry: Still, it might be a good excuse to FINALLY get a more modern PC... :lol:
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Beantighe » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Well, as a confirmed Luddite [smilie=eusa_whistle.gif] I'm extremely resistant to change, and I have to say I'm with Swampy - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Maybe there's a way these little glitches could be ironed out? I must admit it would be useful if the PM boxes had a bigger capacity, but other than that I love this site as it is - as people have said, it's so user-friendly, and I like the fact that the print is large enough to see and so clear.

I've discovered that if you go to submit a post and an Error message comes up, you can often retrieve your message by backspacing, and then you can highlight and press Copy, then if it denies your message a second time, you can go back in and Paste the message in again and send it. This usually works. A case of necessity being the mother of invention! :D
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Greymalkin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:18 am

I think you've all highlighted beautifully why we need a change. Don't get me wrong, I like this forum too but the thing is, it is broke - and it does need fixing.
As Stonewylde becomes more popular then more people will join and I'm afraid this little site just won't cope with it.

Kit - sorry if I've upset you but I've never been one for not saying something that needs saying and I don't intend to start now.

It would be so much nicer if it were easier to directly upload pictures and store files and music and allsorts.
The Stonewylde forum could become a place of real entertainment as well as good chat.
Greymalkin

Postby Witchypoo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:24 am

I'm a member of a few forums/chat rooms, and the PM problem seems to exist regardless of site size. One of the forums has multiple thousands of members and after swapping host sites a couple of times the Mods have given up trying to fix this problem. I think it's just something you have to live with. :roll:
Witchypoo

Postby kit » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:51 pm

GM you haven't upset me! That was me joking! :lol: I am concerned that this host site won't be able to cope with the traffic - we're growing all the time and not only are there increasing numbers of members, but people are posting so much more. Mr B thinks we'll just implode at some point!

But the point you make GM in your last post is just what he's saying - that on a more sophisticated site you can have all sorts of stuff going on - the ability to upload photos, video etc, people's birthdays (NB - Cornmother!), chat facilities, newsfeeds etc etc. I do understand his point - just don't want to lose the homely feel we have here (and stop giggling right now, GM!) Also this site looks so pretty. But Mr B assures me he can make a new site look pretty too. We shall see.

It would mean everyone migrating to a new place, and actually there's a lot of dead wood here. I mean members who joined ages ago and have never posted. I'm sure all you lovely regulars will stick with the community. What does concern me is losing all the posts. There are some really interesting threads here that it would be a shame to lose. Mr B's looking into whether he could migrate them, or maybe archive them. To be honest he's very busy (as he always is) so this isn't going to happen overnight.

It's really interesting hearing everyone's views - I want you all to know that you're part of this decision making. And I certainly don't want to lose anyone if we do move to a new site. Just want to make things easier and better. :D
kit

Next

Return to The Village Green