Monkton Wyld

A place for general chat with Stonewylde friends

Moderator: mrb

Monkton Wyld

Postby Seawitch » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Looks as if I'll get to Monkton Wyld before the rest of you guys ....... just heard I've managed to get a table at their Christmas Bazaar next Friday (12th) from 11am until 8pm. It was fully booked, but someone cancelled, and I had a phone call today offering me a place .........

Their website says:
Hosted in our beautiful house and grounds at Monkton Wyld Court during the heart of winter, let the warmth of our roaring wood burning fires soak into your bones as you enjoy the Victorian Gothic atmosphere. You can browse local crafts, sample homemade goodies, take home some seasonal produce and find a special unique gift for a loved one or perhaps just treat yourself! Craft Stalls, Light Lunches, Mulled Wine and Mince Pies in the evening.

Ooooh - I'm so looking forward to this!

Seawitch
x
As I reeled the fish in and watched him struggle for breath, I realised his life was just as important to him as mine was to me. (Paul McCartney)
Seawitch

Postby Sorcha » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:04 pm

Oh Sea Witch, you lucky thing!! I am sure you will have a great time there!!
It sounds wonderful!! I am jealous, wish I could come to this Christmas Bazaar!!!

Will you make lots of photo's and put them on the forum!! On the site of Monkton Wylde there are not many photo's of the house and the grounds!! And I am sure I am not the only one curious about what it looks like!!

Have a great time!!!

Love,

Sorcha :wink:
Sorcha

Postby Sujee » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:17 pm

If I could go I would, sounds divine! So, I need wings and a time machine to do it.... Sea Witch, I hope it goes really really well for you and you sell loads of soaps and get to have at least a bit of mulled wine before you have to drive home.... OR you could sneak a flask in and fill it up when no one is looking..... :wink: then you can have it when you get back home :D

It is my town's Victorian Extravganza that night and I am helping out on the tombola. Am supposed to wear period costume but dont know if I have anything suitable so will cobble something together I am sure! Chairty shops here I come... :lol:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:23 pm

sounds good but as always miles too far for us :cry: hope you do well I am sure you will sellout.

:wink:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby kit » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:57 pm

How wonderful, Seawitch! I really hope it goes well for you. And you will LOVE Monkton Wyld I'm sure. Do wrap up warm though. I was on a course there one February (2003 in fact) and it was absolutely freezing! :shock: Although that may have changed of course. I'm sure your wonderful soaps will sell brilliantly. Do give my love to Caroline and Amy there - and tell them you're one of the Stonewylders coming to the Harvest Moon Gathering!

Sorcha I have lots of photos of Monkton Wyld, and as soon as the new forum's open (very soon!) I'll upload them so you can all take a look! :D
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com and my blog on www.moongazygirl.blogspot.com
kit

Postby Sorcha » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:46 pm

Wonderful Kit!!! I am really curious what it looks like!! From what I have seen so far it is a great place!!!!! :P Looking so much forward to seeing it for real!!! :P
Sorcha

Postby Carprimulgidae » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:53 pm

for health & safety reasons your going to have to wear a yellow vest when you ride your bike around the grounds :lol: and if you get the long artic bike we can all jump aboard :lol:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Sorcha » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:30 pm

Will do!! 8) :wink: Wish I could bring this bike http://www.workcycles.nl/bakfiets/fiets ... -bike.html than you can all help me paddle!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We could paddle together to the sea for the skinny dipping!! :wink: Will help to warm us up beforehand and to get us warm again after!!! :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorcha

Postby Seawitch » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Went to the Bazaar at Monkton Wyld yesterday, and you were right Kit - it was absolutely b****y freezing!

I wasn't in the main building which was quite cosy, but in the Pine Hall - an annexe with huge (single glazed) windows. There was a massive wood burning stove, but the cold won. By lunchtime I couldn't feel me toes, but a few more logs on the fire and the aid of an electric fan heater soon warmed us all up. The mulled wine and deeeeliciouso mince pies helped too!

The food was splendicious and everyone made us very welcome.

It was a long day (11am - 8pm) and quieter than the organisers had hoped, despite loads of media publicity, but I managed to sell quite a lot of soap.

Still need to shift quite a lot more though or I'll be eatin soap for me Christmas dinner!

Booked into a craft fair at Exbury in the New Forest tomorrow, so fingers crossed the weather doesn't put people off.

You're in the New Forest aren't you SD - are you near Exbury?

Talking of the New Forest - Did you hear the awful news the other day about the maniac driving too fast through the Forest who hit - and decapitated - a New Forest pony. Apparently the driver was in his 20s (boy racer?) and must have been goin a fair lick to have done that. Feel sorry for the next person who travelled that road - must have been dreadful to stumble upon such a distressing sight. And they still haven't found the poor beast's head.

Seawitch
x
As I reeled the fish in and watched him struggle for breath, I realised his life was just as important to him as mine was to me. (Paul McCartney)
Seawitch

Postby Sujee » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:31 am

Hi Seawitch! good to hear that you enjoyed MW, even tho your toes were froze - but like you say, a few more logs and a fan heater does the trick! I wish I could have joined you for the wine and mince pies :D

Am pleased that you managed to sell some of your amazing soaps too - sounds as tho you should make one in the shape of a turkey as well!! :lol: Good luck at Exbury.

What a terrible tale about that poor pony :( folk who drive like that make me so mad - they should be banned for life :twisted: there is someone somewhere with a badly damaged car and I hope their family does the right thing and dobs them in! :evil:
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby solsticedreamer » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:10 am

hi sea witch!
i am in the new forest and exbury is about a 30-40 minute drive away! but i was coming home from my trip to westbirton arboretum yesterday otherwise swampy and i would have gone!

not yet heard about the pony but going to my mums and no doubt it will be in the local paper, the wonderfully named 'lymington times'! i know its a bad thing but i hope he gets whats coming to him now :evil:

that is the worse thing about living here, when we get news of some poor pony, donky or cow being killed :cry: in the summer some moron managed to hit a mother donkey and her baby...unfortunatly these idiot brains dont always kill the poor animal right out and so they are left until the agister comes out and shoots it :(
these days they dont actually take the bodies away immediately, they leave them a few hours so passing drivers can see them, sort of a shock-treatment reminder to people.
some people put little reflective collars on their animals, just the ponies and donkys, as extra warning for drivers.

oh i am feeling all upset now :cry: :cry: :cry:
The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart
http://solsticedreamer.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer

Postby Seawitch » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Back from Exbury and it was a complete failure and I didn't even cover me costs for the table, let alone the petrol. Loads of people were raving about my soaps, but unfortunately only a few actually parted with any money.....so frustrating. There was the inevitable tat on some stalls, but also a lot with good quality products and even they were having a bad day, so I wasn't the only one to suffer.

The good side is that I met some really nice people there who had stalls, and the building was loverly and warm - with underfloor heating under the flagstones. Was invited back for next Sunday, but it's such a gamble and I don't think I can afford to risk wasting more money on a maybe, so doubt if I'll go again.

Will see how I feel at the end of the week, as something else might come up.

Seawitch
x
Seawitch

Postby Moongoddess » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:03 pm

Seawitch wrote:Back from Exbury and it was a complete failure and I didn't even cover me costs for the table, let alone the petrol. There was the inevitable tat on some stalls, but also a lot with really good products and even they were having a bad day, so I wasn't the only one to suffer.

The good side is that I met some really nice people there who had stalls, and the building was loverly and warm - with underfloor heating under the flagstones. Was invited back for next Sunday, but it's such a gamble and I don't think I can afford to risk wasting more money on a maybe, so doubt if I'll go again.

Will see how I feel at the end of the week, as something else might come up.

Seawitch
x

Shame you didn't do very well. We have one in our village. The first year was excellent, then it went downhill from there. We didn't bother this year. It's too cold to stand outside for 6 hours for nothing. :(
Moongoddess

Postby Sujee » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:11 pm

What a shame Sea Witch. :( Think it is the same everywhere at the moment - folk are waiting until the last payday before Christmas... Are you on etsy.com? MG can tell you about it.

Come into the Jack and join the party, some champagne or mulled wine and some lovely food will help you feel better [smilie=msn_kiss.gif]
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Seawitch » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks for the invite Sujee, but I've been up since 5am and can't keep me eyes open much longer. Anyway, I don't think I'd be very good company at the moment as I'm right cheesed off.

Have a good time in The Jack and say Hi to everyone for me, cos I'm off to me bed now.

PS No I'm not on etsy.com - had a quick look though and it seems to be all American. Is there a UK version?

Seawitch
x
Seawitch

Next

Return to The Village Green