Old Stonewylde or New Stonewylde

For the old
53%
For the new
47%

Total votes : 17

Reasons for Moving

Postby mrb » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:22 pm

Now that the new site has been going for a short while and we have all had a chance to experience it, perhaps now is the time to tell you about the reasons for the move. [smilie=eusa_dance.gif]

The original Stonewylde Forum was put up to see if we did indeed have a Stonewylde Community around the Stonewylde series of books. I think it fair to say that we really do. And that it has been a great success way beyond our expectations. It is wonderful to find so many new friends and to see so many great topics and threads and such friendliness in a community. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

Unfortunately, we have now, or at least would in the very near future, outgrow what the current format can offer. We are already starting to see some problems creeping in. Even in this thread we see duplicated postings! [smilie=msn_ooooh.gif]

I know that the new format offers much of what many of you have been asking for (birthdays, photos, more PM space etc) which the current forum does not and will never be able provide. I too don't like the idea of a Weatherspoons takeover, but sometimes we need to know when to move on [smilie=msn_cry.gif]. Web users are becoming more sophisticated in their expectations. Facebook and the like are here to stay. The facilities that community sites now provide are what people will want and expect to be available. The new site provides most of these needs right now and will continue to grow over time to include other great features ... including smileys! [smilie=msn_fingerscrossed.gif]

I felt it was better to move now, whilst the community is still manageable rather than later when it would undoubtedly be far more of a challenge. I also want the site to be able to attract more participating members, by offering more features that make it a fun place to be. I am absolutely certain that once we all become familiar with what can be done and how it can be best used, it will be just as comfortable as the old forum.

On another front, we have been having some initial teething problems, which are actually not related to the site itself, but related to the broadband ISP being used. This in particular affected me and Carp and
stopped us being able to upload photos or avatars. It meant that I couldn't even administer the site. Very frustrating! But thankfully now fixed ... and Carp now even has an avatar again!

Some users are having problems finding things. The navigation is different, but it should not be insurmountable to find your way around to the bits you will use most often. I too keep finding different ways of doing things. Please use the new Site Help forum to ask questions and get help from others. This can then become a self-help resource for others to use. There are so many features on the site, it would take me a long while to put together a manual which covered them all.

On the discussion on privacy. You can stay as private or as public as you want. In fact, I would argue very strongly that you are more public on the old site than you could be on the new one. On the old one, you don't have to register to see everyone's, sometimes quite private, posts. The new one has the concept of friends. You can share stuff, like photos, comments and emails with your friends only .. or with the whole community. It's up to you. If you are unsure what is displayed, try looking at a members profile who is not one of your friends and then look at the profile of someone you have made a friend. What you can see is very, very different. You may also like to know that non-registered users cannot see anything beyond the Main Page.

I recognise that some of you may need a while to adjust to the new look and feel and for that reason, the old forum will exist to post to for a little while yet. Eventually I will lock it to stop new posts and from then on it will remain as an archive. I would urge you to start using the new site and features as soon as you can.

Weep [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif] [smilie=msn_cry.gif] not for the old site but celebrate its success [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] . The reasons for moving are very strong and I would dearly love you to all come along and [smilie=msn_run.gif] [smilie=msn_runback.gif] embrace the features of the new site and help lift the Stonewylde Community to even greater successes.

Happy New Year to everyone.
[smilie=eusa_whistle.gif]
Mr. B.
Last edited by mrb on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Stonewylde website at www.stonewylde.com
and the Stonewylde Village Store at www.stonewyldestore.com

Signup to the Newletter to keep in touch with progress on the Stonewylde Series. Signup at: http://www.stonewylde.com/subscribe.htm
mrb

Postby Moongoddess » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Aww Mrb, I actually had tears in my eyes by the time i'd finished reading your post :cry: It is hard to change sometimes, but we I think we all realise that it has to happen eventually and we will all soon feel very much at home in the new site. We can and will pull together to help each other overcome the problems, with your help too. Can I just say a big think you to you and Kit for bringing us all together and helping us to find new and wonderful friends we would have never meet if not for Stonewylde
I do hope you and Kit have had a wonderful Yule, Christmas and a very Happy and prosperous New Year ~ and that goes for every other reader of Stonewylde, whether a user of this forum or not. [smilie=msn_heart.gif] [smilie=msn_kiss.gif] [smilie=msn_kiss.gif] [smilie=msn_kiss.gif]
Moongoddess

Postby Kas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:38 pm

I second that MG. It's been great having new friends and a whole other place I can escape to after a days work. Thanks Kit for writing such excellent books, it's your imagination that got us all here. I hope all of you the very best for 2009 [smilie=msn_heart.gif]
Kas

Postby cornmother » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:39 pm

MrB, thanks for a lovely long heartfelt explanation of all the whys and wherefores. All new sites have teething problems, this is no different. I think once we get more used to it, and become familiar with what can and can't be done on the site, it will flourish. The original Stonewylde site will always have a special place in our hearts, because that's where we have formed this precious community initially - one which I am sure will grow and grow.

You've obviously been working hard over the past few days - now relax for a few hours (oh, go on!!) and enjoy the New Year.

Many thanks for everything you've done so far (and I'll try not to nag you too much in 2009)

Love to both
Cornmother
Joy, Health, Love and Peace
cornmother

Postby Sujee » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:43 pm

Hear hear Mr B and MG!!! Very well said the both of you! :D [smilie=msn_highfive.gif] [smilie=msn_highfive.gif]
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby sea sprite » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:56 pm

Awww, Mr B, what a lovely post! The new site is growing on me :D :D Don't forget, us Villagers aren't keen on change :lol: :lol: :wink: Now I've used the new site more, I agree that the privacy is a lot better than this site. I only twigged the other day that only registered members can view it [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] :oops: :roll:

I must admit that when I come to this site now it seems really 'primitive' compared to the new one :lol:

A big THANK YOU for all your hard work. We must seem terribly ungrateful, but we really appreciate all the effort you've put into the new site. A bonus is that it looks like I will finally get my laptop as our pre-historic PC just crashes when I try and log on to the new site [smilie=eusa_dance.gif]

I look forward to the addition of smilies :D I really miss them :( :lol:

Once again, thank you and have a RELAXING New Year's Eve :D
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Carprimulgidae » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:16 am

Well MrB you can see from the regular folk on here how good a job you have done & I too would like to thank you for all the hard work you put in and giving us so much pleasure :wink: it does show and has taken it's toll (you have no hair left :lol: )

Of course you done the right move and as Sea Sprite said us villagers dont like change, she is right :wink: it is a good move :shock: did i say that :? well of course it is and we will all get used to it.

a few had trouble uploading pictures on this site and we helped by giving instructions and that worked out ok, the new site is easy to upload to so it will be simple to talk anyone through it without bothing your good self, we all sort of muck in & help dont we and it keeps it all going.

Stonewylde will continue to grow and all for the better so here is wishing you all the very best for 2009 and there after :wink:

Carp over & out :lol:
Leave nothing but foot prints, Take nothing but pictures )o(

Carprimulgidae

Postby Greymalkin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:32 am

Mr. B, I got the email you sent me about the problems I've been having and it wouldn't even let me reply to you.

It would appear I am a lost cause. :(
Greymalkin

Postby Sujee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:39 am

GM, if you want to pass a reply to Mr B through me, send me a PM and I will copy and paste on to Mr B - or you could PM him from here? It may be your ISP - it was for Carp (dont ask me what ISP stands for tho... :lol: )
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

Postby Greymalkin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:05 am

I've no idea what an ISP is either.

Maybe I am too thick for the new forum after all. LOL!
Greymalkin

Have PM'd you

Postby mrb » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi GM.

Have PM'd you on here to see if we can get to the bottom of the problem.

Mr.B.

Signup to the Newletter to keep in touch with progress on the Stonewylde Series. Signup at: http://www.stonewylde.com/subscribe.htm
mrb

Postby Beantighe » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:05 pm

ISP - that's one little snippet I've gleaned - Internet Service Provider!

*pats self on back* :D
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby Sujee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:15 pm

Beantighe wrote:ISP - that's one little snippet I've gleaned - Internet Service Provider!

*pats self on back* :D

Thanks Beantighe!! Now we all know. Are they the people who get the internet to your house? Does that mean that GM will have to change provider, oh Oracle?! :D
Love and Light

Sujee
Sujee

maybe not

Postby mrb » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 pm

It may not be GM's ISP that is at fault. Sometimes it's down to computer/browser setup and blocked port and firewalls that hinder our total enjoyment of the Internet. An ISP problem is actually very unusual.

Anyway, I'm hoping we can get GM up and running.

mrb

Postby Greymalkin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:46 pm

How do I find the PM Mr.B has sent me on here?

See? I really am crap with computers. LOL!
Greymalkin

PreviousNext

Return to The Village Green