Calling on all cat lovers for help

A place for general chat with Stonewylde friends

Moderator: mrb

Postby kattaddorra » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:00 am

Yes cats are a great comfort, sorry you were upset today,I hope you are OK now.
It was my little cat Bryan who helped me get through the grief when my much loved mother died of cancer, he hardly left me ! Sadly I lost him to cancer too a few years later.
I too feel honoured to have shared my life with cats for 34 years and Walter and Jozef who we have now,are my sun, moon, and stars. I believe they are not ours to possess,we are just their caretakers and as you said,we should treat them with respect.
Katt :D
http://clawsforever.ning.com/

As ye sow,so shall ye reap
kattaddorra

Postby MPoppins » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:29 pm

Lucy's a dog actually, but the same applies....wonderful beings, how lucky we are :)
Dance as though no-one is watching,
Love as though you've never been hurt,
Work to live as though there is no money,
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby Beantighe » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:25 pm

What makes me speechless with rage is the fact that there are vets in the US who are not only prepared to carry out this cruel and wicked mutilation on defenseless little cats, but even advise their clients to have it done! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

These pathetic excuses for animal doctors should be struck off, never allowed to treat animals ever again, and should even serve a hefty jail term! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ye gods!! I wish I were a judge, oh how I wish!!!!!
May the Circle be open, but unbroken
Beantighe

Postby MPoppins » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:29 pm

I have to say that generally I don't trust vets as they make so much money from their vaccinations etc. If we could have a nationalised veterinary service that didn't have any bias towards the pharmaceutical companies I'd feel a little differently perhaps.
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby Beantighe » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:55 pm

I've often thought that too, MP. It's disgusting the exorbitant fees vets charge. Many people have enough difficulty finding the money to have their pets treated when they're actually ill, but to line vets' pockets by having this disgusting, inhumane and unnecessary procedure carried out is an immoral waste of money. Where are their consciences? I don't know how these people - vets AND owners - get to sleep at night!! :x :x :x
Beantighe

Postby kattaddorra » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:16 pm

It's very true that it's the vets to blame really ! Declawing is supposed to be a last resort for serious scratching behaviour, so how can they justify offering it as a package deal along with neutering,by declawing kittens and depriving them of their natural function ! I did a lot of research before setting up the petition and found that these vets don't even explain that it isn't declawing, it is in fact de-toeing. They won't stop doing it while they are getting their pockets full of money from it, even though they are trained to help animals, not mutilate them.So the only way to stop it is by a ban.I emailed every state in the USA too before I began , the only place it is banned is West Hollywood and they had a real struggle to make it happen there.One state's reply even boasted that they encourage it to be done at an early age !! It breaks my heart to read of cats cast out defenceless by their cruel owners,to die, because naturally they turn to biting,in their pain and confusion.Some end up in Rescue shelters and if some kind person doesn't adopt them, along with their problems, they end up being put to sleep. I can hardly bear to think of it ! :cry:
I wrote a poem to try to convey the horror of it and to try to touch people who still think it's OK to do it ....
On behalf of all suffering, declawed cats
I once used to have such elegant paws,
My furry feet had beautiful claws.
How I loved to stretch them out,
I was really happy just jumping about.
They tidied my ears, they groomed my coat,
They kept the fur neat around my throat.
I thought I had my claws for good,
I thought my owners understood
Just how much they meant to me,
Oh but how wrong can a cat be!
One day I was taken to a frightening place,
I had no idea what I had to face.
I was put to sleep against my will
And woke up in pain and feeling ill.
My paws hurt so much I couldn’t stand,
How would I jump? how would I land?
Worse was to come, as I was later to see
Just what those people had done to me.
My toe ends and claws had gone for good
My owners hadn’t understood.
I couldn't ask why as I don't have a voice,
Or free will, or any choice.
They had ruined my life without a doubt
So I bit those people and they cast me out.
Now I sit in a shelter hurting and sad,
How could anyone treat me so bad?
My paws always ache, I feel very alone.
I wish someone kind would give me a home.

Katt

kattaddorra

Postby MPoppins » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:32 pm

Aww, that really got to me :( it's a great poem x
Clap with one hand.
MPoppins

Postby sea sprite » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:49 pm

I'm welling up too :cry: It's a lovely poem Kattaddora and really explains the whole sorry issue so well.
sea sprite x

~ Do as you would be done by ~
sea sprite

Postby Beantighe » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:05 pm

Oh Katt, I'm in tears.......................... [smilie=msn_cry.gif] [smilie=msn_cry.gif] [smilie=msn_cry.gif] [smilie=msn_cry.gif] [smilie=msn_cry.gif] [smilie=msn_cry.gif]
Beantighe

Postby kattaddorra » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:19 am

Thank you, I've cried so many tears since taking up this quest to get it banned, I think I've none left,but each time I hear of another cat's life ruined, I do find plenty more.
But yesterday one cat was saved the fate, another person who didn't know the full horror of having this done,changed her mind, so that's 6 saved so far now !
It gives us the incentive to carry on and try to save all the cats of the future.3 more signatures have appeared overnight, thank you so much if it was anyone from here.
Katt XX

kattaddorra

Postby Beantighe » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:13 am

I can't stop crying over this, Katt. It's as if the flood gates have opened.

It was the first thing on my mind when I woke up this morning, and I can't stop thinking about it. A thing that occurred to me, was why don't as many people as possible write in person to Barack Obama when he takes office as President in January? Let's deluge him with letters, and you can send him your poem for a start, Katt. I defy any human being with a soul not to be moved to tears by it. It's worth a try, isn't it?
Beantighe

Postby Beantighe » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:05 am

Katt, I hope you don't mind, but I've copied your initial post with the links over onto The White Goddess Forum, where I have many,many cat-loving friends. I know you will definitely get a lot more signatures from there, plus people will send it on to their friends, too. I do hope this will help a little bit.

xxxx
Beantighe

Postby kattaddorra » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:18 am

Beantighe, you are an Earth Angel, what a brilliant idea to write to Mr Obama when he takes office !! THANK YOU so much for this help, I was just feeling helpless again when your messages popped up !
Almost everyone is pre-occupied with Christmas coming now, so January would be good to do this,if we can spread the word far and wide that would surely help.He must be an animal lover as he adopted a rescue dog I think.
And putting it on The White Goddess forum is wonderful, what can I say? It's kind people like you who don't only cry for these cats but come up with ideas to help them !
My sister started a social network group if anyone wants to have a good rant on there about the cruelty of declawing,but she's made it a nice place to go too, where we can put photos, and poems, and memorials for much loved pets and think up ideas .....
Wiccan Woman who is a member here has posted some of her wonderful poetry for us !
Everyone who wants this cruelty stopped, is welcome.
If you don't feel you want to join and post it yourself, please may I post your idea about writing to Mr Obama, on there ?
I'm all fired up now, onwards and upwards !!
THANK YOU again from the bottom of my heart !
xx

kattaddorra

Postby Beantighe » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Of course you can, sweetheart, it's not just my idea, it's for everyone, and the more we can spread it far and wide, the more people hopefully will act on it. Now you mention it, I remember Mr Obama saying he was going to get a rescue dog, so he must care about unfortunate animals. How about sending him the link to your sister's website, so he can see for himself what this cruelty entails, as well as what people think of it?

I'm an absolute water-fountain, I haven't stopped crying all day.

xxxxx
Beantighe

Postby kattaddorra » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Thank you.I'll go and post your idea now ! Credit where it's due, it was your brainchild !
I have to stop thinking about it for a while now and again,I was eating, drinking, sleeping (or lying awake) it, as like you, it really gets to me.
I puzzle how anyone can do it,in fact I often puzzle how anyone can be cruel to animals, or children, or old people....or each other ?
But I never come up with an answer.
Don't cry any more now, just think how much you are already helping to get this stopped ..and we WILL one day !
Katt

kattaddorra

PreviousNext

Return to The Village Green